Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Machine shop in Iowa
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

Good morning,

Does anyone have a suggestion as to were to take my 1500 engine out of a '66 transporter for machine work?

Located in eastern Iowa near Iowa City. Willing to drive a reasonable distance (100 miles) to a qualified and reputable shop.

Have a great day,
Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help, but it's fun to see someone here from near my hood! I'm from just west of Columbus Junction.
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

I'm not in IA but I am in the Kansas City, MO area and recently sold an engine to a gentleman in Eastern Iowa. If you don't find what you are looking for you can crate it up and ship it to me and I can build it for you and ship it back. Just an option...
wotraceengines.com
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

Archway imports in st louis.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

When do you need the engine? I am driving up thru there on my way up to Omaha coming from VA next few weeks. I can bring up a motor -

A 1600cc singleport is pretty stout. Depending how much you got budgeted for the build may be worth it to just bring up one engine. Or if you insist on building it yourself.

I can do them fully machined and balanced. Let me know man. YOu can PM me.

I did few engines in IA and IN few years back. shipped them in crates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

c77owen wrote:
I'm not in IA but I am in the Kansas City, MO area and recently sold an engine to a gentleman in Eastern Iowa. If you don't find what you are looking for you can crate it up and ship it to me and I can build it for you and ship it back. Just an option...
wotraceengines.com

Thanks for the suggestion and offer. I really want to avoid the shipping cost associated with this.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

[quote="nsracing"]When do you need the engine? I am driving up thru there on my way up to Omaha coming from VA next few weeks. I can bring up a motor -

I really would prefer to use the original motor if it is salvageable. Thank you for your offer.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Archway imports in st louis.

I'll check them out thanks. Not that far from St.Louis.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

Been using him since 1982. His hired help left several years ago and started air cooled @machine 20 minutes south. I have also heard the name al shelton thrown around.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

Well I think the engine is toast. Fiinally cracked it open! Cracked around bolt hole next to cylinder and drive gear for distributor/fuel pump is jammed, also really heavily worn crank bearings.

Guess I'll be looking for a completed block with heads now. Sure wish I could find something in the midwest. Shipping cost put me over budget!

Searching or a local supplier, any ideas?

Jeff in Iowa
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine shop in Iowa Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Good morning,

Does anyone have a suggestion as to were to take my 1500 engine out of a '66 transporter for machine work?

Located in eastern Iowa near Iowa City. Willing to drive a reasonable distance (100 miles) to a qualified and reputable shop.

MoFoCo.

Do it right.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: