Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

interesting 2015 tdi failure
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: interesting 2015 tdi failure Reply with quote

This TDi was towed into my shop the other day. The timing belt is burned up, valves are all bent, rocker arms are all broken, water pump is seized up, timing belt tensioner is seized up, and the two timing belt idlers also seized up.
How could all of this have happened? My theory is that the water pump seized first and the belt riding over it got extremely hot and over heated the tensioner and two idlers and caused them to also seize. I know this seems far fetched that the rubber belt could possibly carry that much heat to make that idler melt apart like that but it's the only thing I could come up with. Anyone seen this before?
The car was not over heated, still full of all it's antifreeze and the temp was never higher than normal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting 2015 tdi failure Reply with quote

Ouch.

I've got the 2013 CJAA TDI engine.

How many miles were on this one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting 2015 tdi failure Reply with quote

Yes, the belt will retain & transfer heat into other pulleys.

I have seen this a few times, usually on serpentine belts melting down other pulleys.

What's incredible is that the belt will initially squeal & the rubber of the belt will liquefy & start to act as a lubricant.

When you start pricing the valves, valve job & rockers/lifters, it'll quickly get cheaper to toss an engine in it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting 2015 tdi failure Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yes, the belt will retain & transfer heat into other pulleys.

I have seen this a few times, usually on serpentine belts melting down other pulleys.

What's incredible is that the belt will initially squeal & the rubber of the belt will liquefy & start to act as a lubricant.

When you start pricing the valves, valve job & rockers/lifters, it'll quickly get cheaper to toss an engine in it.

I've seen a few of those TDI engines used on ebay for $500 + shipping. Rolling Eyes Cool
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting 2015 tdi failure Reply with quote

There is about 135K on this car, does look like a good used engine will be the way to go.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: interesting 2015 tdi failure Reply with quote

The part that seemed to get the hottest is the tensioner pulley. That is what I suspect is the start of this problem. If you can take a look at the ball bearing races, you may seen signs of pitting. Pitting happens over a long period of time.

The real cause is the client not performing a timing belt change on time. Pay me now or pay me later. Sad to see an engine fail so early.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting 2015 tdi failure Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
The part that seemed to get the hottest is the tensioner pulley. That is what I suspect is the start of this problem. If you can take a look at the ball bearing races, you may seen signs of pitting. Pitting happens over a long period of time.

The real cause is the client not performing a timing belt change on time. Pay me now or pay me later. Sad to see an engine fail so early.

I agree it looks like that tensioner got extremely hot, maybe close to 300f?
Do you think heat from the belt would have been able to cause the water pump to seize?
This customer had just bought the car 1000 miles and one month before this happened from a private dealer. It looks to me like the water pump had been replaced at some point.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: interesting 2015 tdi failure Reply with quote

I always like to find the root cause of my clients complaint so it does not end up in my lap. Sometimes you just do not know. In this case, I would not worry so much as to why but how does this client want to fix it. Obviously they are not happy.

Do you fix it? Install a used engine [which could cause a lot more issues]? New engine? I do not see a cheap fix. I no longer buy used parts for my clients, there are exceptions. I will assist the client in finding one and they can have it delivered to my shop but I find this policy prevents the look that I sold them a bad part.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: