Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

That noise IS bad from the muffler. Shocked Shocked
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

The power of Coors Light Compels You!!!

I knew it.
Didn't want to say it because I'm trying to hate less on here.
Trying...

So,
How did it run with a stock muffler on there?

This is such the great experiment!

Did you run it on the highway and get it hot?
The CHTs are 'supposed' to climb with a big-bore'd big-valve'd cammed motor like that.

It's also 'supposed' to strangle the high-RPM performance..

Soooo...
Do tell!

Some of us SO geek out on these things!

Yer killin' me.. Shocked

What’s That Noise?!?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Yes it does poop out 💩 at the top of each gear. The VS exhaust feels like an open toob in comparison.

But I don't fly around and the power I get off the stock exhaust is plenty. It's the quiet I'm still getting used to. Now I hear the tires more. I'm amazed at how quiet the bus is. Nothing really rattling or squeezing.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

So I found a resolution on the muffler. The power of positive thinking compelled me and I was able to beat the demons I started to create in my mind.

Have a read.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9276098#9276098

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible

Last edited by notchboy on Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

You should try the Stainless Steel EMPI 4 into 1 exhaust as it's pretty quiet and you do have hp at the upper rpms (above 3500-5000 rpms).
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

It has been done. The bus is now lifted. Stu came through and slapped on the lift goodies from Wagens West. I am very pleased to say the rubbing is gone from the front tires and the extremely tight turn radius is back.

The tires now look like they fit the bus and its sitting at a nice Syncro height. I used to slide across into the seat, now I have to crawl up and into it. And Im 6'5" Shocked Cool

Last big thing is to get the correct length shocks fitted. Those will be here soon, for now I have extenders on the rears.

Ride height is now pretty sweet. Cool

Before and afters.

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Jason, how’s the body roll affected?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Right now it all feels the same as normal. maybe when I drive it more on the freeway and around corners and stuff at speed I'll know.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Those tires are great!

Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Some before and after stuff Stu took pics of.

Before, After.

Quite obvious.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
It has been done. The bus is now lifted. Stu came through and slapped on the lift goodies from Wagens West. I am very pleased to say the rubbing is gone from the front tires and the extremely tight turn radius is back.

That looks rugged! Nice work. But for the life of me, I cant see how you heat your work area for all this winter work youve been doing.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

What are you running for CV's to accommodate for that rear lift?

Was the 10" axle to fender measurement stock ride height?

I'm going to be doing my swingarm bushings soon and trying to figure out if I need to reindex my arms. Mine sags a little bit in the back, but Ive always only looked at it with nobody sitting up front.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

They are EMPI CV's and longer drive shafts. The 10" is stock, with 15" tires on. The nose of my bus sits a little proud in front as well still after the lift and leveles perfect when my big ass is in it.

https://www.wagenswest.com/product/1968-79-vw-bus-rear-lift-plates-2-5-inch
https://www.wagenswest.com/product/1968-79-bay-bus-2-5-lifted-ball-joint-spindles

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
.But for the life of me, I cant see how you heat your work area for all this winter work you've been doing.

Its been brutal brother. Some of those harsh 62 degree days have really put a damper on working in the shop. Blaring light from that orb in the sky and the heat it brings only worsens it. Now its been raining for the last couple days with freezing 54 degree temps. Confused Sad

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
rickshak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

The lift looks fantastic. I’m crying over here because my stock 78 Westy just clears the garage door by only 1 inch. A sweet lift like this would unfortunately mean storing outside. Enjoy.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

rickshak wrote:
The lift looks fantastic. I’m crying over here because my stock 78 Westy just clears the garage door by only 1 inch. A sweet lift like this would unfortunately mean storing outside. Enjoy.

Oh Im sure it could be worked out Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Jason, how’s the body roll affected?

Too personal.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Couple not so much talked about observations I took from this.

1) Stock KYB 344045 PN shocks - listed as fitting all bays from 68-79. This is incorrect. These only really fit the 68-71 bays. On later bays they are 1/2 to 3/4 in to short. We noticed this over at Garys when the ass was up and one of my shock bolts went missing. They don't extend enough. I have to have longer ones for my rears so Im going with 344079s all around.

2) EMPI quality - The CV's are EMPI and look to be of good quality. Initial thoughts are wondering why people don't like them? The road will tell....

3) Wagens West builds a good product, but you will wait, maybe longer than you want for your stuff. Confused

With the lift, I have no more rubbing up front where the tire hit the HD bar. Especially with more than myself sitting up there. The turning radius now is tighter than ever. Like back when I had the close to stock set up. Spins on a dime. I do not notice any issue with the bigger tires making it harder to turn. If anything it feels easier.

I still need to fit the speedo cable, the hole WW made isn't a good one. Then I can move onto modifying the parking brake cables.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Taco sauce right next to the tp.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Shocks came in and the test fit went well. With the rear plate pushing the axel hub down, it also moves the lower jack point in like kind. Increasing the difference needed to move down by 3" minimum.

These Are the 344079's and have a longer travel. I'll be putting these on tomorrow.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 36

Jump to: