Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Blades
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Hi, I did a search and could not find anything on this.
I have original wiper blades on my '74 Thing.
Does anyone know what refill wiper blades that I can buy that will fit or that I can retrofit? Thanks.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Mike at thingparts has a good replacement. The Thing Shop does too. TTS also has a more "modern upgrade" available. Cheers!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

I just converted my wipers arms to accept standard bayonet wipers. A little bit of filing to the end of the arm lets the arm slide into the bayonet blade and the hole drilled in the arm and tapped for a small screw will hold the blade in place. I Loctited the screw in place and then cut it off and filed the remaining shaft at an angle to make it so the blade will push on easily but not come off without the proper forces being applied.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note that different brand blades have different effective lengths. I presently have a 12" blade in one brand running side by side with a 10" blade in another brand.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

As the reverend mentioned, the Mike's "Thingparts" replacement blades are a nice option.

The only problem I have noticed is that they are slightly taller than the originals, and the set screws can contact the cowl area when the windshield is folded down; causing two beauty marks from the screw heads.

I fixed it like this:

A well stocked hardware store would have these.
Good luck, Mondshine
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

Excellent work, guys. Thanks for the info. I will try to use my original arms and retro fit blades. If that doesn't work, I will check out the Thing shop.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

As I name drop...German Motor Works also has replacements. Just to keep options open and spread the love without prejudice. Honestly, you shouldn't need to modify the arms...I went with Mikes...affordable and maybe too good (a lot of drag is hard on the old pivots.). If you NEED 'em, start there...less than the cost of blades for my Chevy. Do some research come spring. Like a leaky roof...when it's raining, its too wet to fix it...when the suns out, its as good as any mans roof.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades Reply with quote

These are heavy duty and lifetime warranty
https://www.thingparts.com/lifetime-wiper-blades/
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: