Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Still picking at it, though nothing seems to go easy, especially because of the damn ethanol now in the fuel. Totally plugged up the passages in the carburetor and two weeks sitting in cleaner, no progress. So it is out for a rebuild, should be back before middle of February.

Today, it was the fuel pump I rebuilt. I had put it in a safe place, on evilBay found what was supposed to be a Volkswagen fuel pump which looked rebuilt (said for core), however, a 2017 Carter casting and built. So, for now run that and when not pressed for time, figure out why the diaphragm rod isn't staying engaged.

Ruby is now moved to level ground so can get her arse end up in the air. Meaning, once the carburetor is back, can install, hook her up to fuel and battery, and can run the engine without going anywhere (clutch is frozen to the flywheel). Took three hours using a come along, I am beat from all the arm exercising.

Speaking of batteries, just going to suck it up and get a new 12 volt group 42. Brother wants the Squareback to be movable under her own power, so hit me get her a new battery and switch as needed. I have a very nice tender now, so long as doesn't go off and I don't notice, should last. Then when do go to 6 volt later down the road, don't have an extra 12 volt battery.

As to the over all plan, that also has changed. Apparently windshield seals are a two person task, only found out after removed the windshield (wanting to stop the massive leaks before Winter rains came). I am all by myself and not willing to do the windshield twice, so going to repaint before regularly driven. Did try and buff, paint too crazed. When trying the front passenger fender, quickly hit blue despite never replaced by Dad. What is even more strange is on the body finding bright orange, then the original red. Dad would have never done a color change and bet since the shop was of very low quality, bet shot the wrong color. I am even thinking might be why the paint crazed, as in a hurry shot the primmer over the orange too soon trapping the solvents. I will at least do the bodywork except the bent driver's side triangle behind the front fender. Brother demanding I not repaint and let him know that the quality he wants will be at least over a grand and he better pay for it since his decision. Then says will not have the money for a couple years. My offer was I shoot the paint now and when has the money in a few years (which probably never have), pull all the seals and have it professionally painted.

Anyone have a source for the springs which return the exterior door button?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation

Last edited by Adriel Rowley on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Still picking at it, though nothing seems to go easy, especially because of the damn ethanol now in the fuel. Totally plugged up the passages in the carburetor and two weeks sitting in cleaner, no progress. So it is out for a rebuild, should be back before middle of February.

Boil the carb to get out the dried/gelled up fuel. Ethanol has nothing to do about that.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Boil the carb to get out the dried/gelled up fuel. Ethanol has nothing to do about that.

And theSamba is back to not sending notifications...

As for the carburetor, Tim of Volks Bitz has it. Me and a friend decided since most likely to be the original with no rebuild and many, many, miles, best to have it looked after by someone who can check it all over plus have the throttle shaft bushed for long life and be sure no vacuum leaks. Next time can do myself; how oft should it be done?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Next time can do myself; how oft should it be done?

Just when it needs it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Look way down on lower left of this thread web page. Should be either "Stop watching this thread" or "Watch this thread", if the latter left click on that to get notifications going again.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Look way down on lower left of this thread web page. Should be either "Stop watching this thread" or "Watch this thread", if the latter left click on that to get notifications going again.

It's on and I make sure to have the notify box checked. I have had this happen before when not regularly on the forum, eventually might come back.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

I been overwhelmed so haven't been keeping up on updates.

First thing needed to be done is move Ruby over onto level ground. Not easy with the clutch frozen to the flywheel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The big boy has decided going to help me get things done, including not allowing me to tap the seat in by putting his paw next to where was.

What's next?

So far:
New Carter fuel pump. Tried putting on the original I rebuilt though something isn't right with the diaphragm and since have it on hand, put it in for now to test the engine.
Soaked the carburetor for about two weeks to clear out, no success, and decided best to have it checked by a professional. Should be done end of the first week of February with slight chance maybe earlier. That is basically the only thing hanging up attempting to start the engine to have a listen and check compression before pulling.
Put in the passenger seat and removed the driver's seat (to get the brake line out). Now remember about copper grease, also give chance to coat the tracks (previous grease didn't work worth a darn).
Removed all four dampers which was super easy as Dad used copper grease on all the threads. Thank you Dad! All are shot. Front have absolutely no dampening though still have rebound and the rears can easily be actuated up and down with one hand with slight force. Since have no direction from Dad decided to go with Koni as we both love spirited cornering especially spirited driving through twisty roads (now think of it probably where got my love of it).
Pulled the front drums. Barely any wear on the drums, no lip, and been on the vehical since at least the early 1980s, might even be original. Shoes look almost new. Thinking because a lot of highway miles and using the transmission to aid slowing down.
Checked the front end for any looseness, none grabbing the sides and about a millimeter grabbing the top and bottom. Find this amazing how durable king and link spindles are, little to no grease with almost 350,000 miles and little to no wear. Just glad do not have to rebuild them! Got some German grease coming to refill the grease gun that came with the Squareback (apparently my friend returned it empty).
Also checked all the rubber boots, all soft. Bought some Aerospace 303 and still need to apply.
Have removed all the brake lines. Soft lines totally frozen to the hard lines and I never want to go through trying to get them apart ever again, BTDT. Dad taught me about copper grease, so bought a German tube of that and every damn thread getting some, so nice just to unbolt! Plus, so rusty from the salt air and being single circuit, gives me peace of mind knowing all the hydraulics are new German or Italian.
Speaking of which, received the JBugs kit Sunday. Still waiting on Bughaus to send out few niggly bits and the hard lines (only regret the rear soft lines as JBugs said German yet they are Chinese).
Current struggle is getting the rear axel nuts off. So far 1,100 foot pounds isn't enough, though enough have sheared two adapters (going from 3/4 inch breaker bar to 1/2 inch 36mm socket).

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

First thing needed to be done is move Ruby over onto level ground. Not easy with the clutch frozen to the flywheel.

Should be easy if the transaxle is shifted into neutral.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Should be easy if the transaxle is shifted into neutral.

Transmission is in neutral though turning the engine move the vehical or vice versa. Used wheel dollies on the rear and turned the front wheels to keep her from rolling away while unhooked the come along and repositioned.

So if was to start the engine on the ground, be lurched forward and so why moved to level ground so could start on jack stands.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Transmission is in neutral though turning the engine move the vehical or vice versa. Used wheel dollies on the rear and turned the front wheels to keep her from rolling away while unhooked the come along and repositioned.

So if was to start the engine on the ground, be lurched forward and so why moved to level ground so could start on jack stands.

Then it is unlikely that it is in neutral.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Then it is unlikely that it is in neutral.

Checked the linkage and the arm and it is in neutral. Think broke free, though if didn't, can show you tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning. Plenty of threads here where folks had it happen due to humidity and time sitting.

Oh and have driven the Squareback so know what in and out of gear feels like. Can say this shifter needs attention as slight difficulty getting into reverse (to lock the rear wheel).

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Tim of Volkz Bitz (highly recommend) got the carburetor rebuilt, sent out Friday, and arrived this morning all the way from Washington! Shocked Some reason, got me in a competitive mood, odd, as I am very mellow and anti competitive, was my Brother who said he have Oma's Impala running before Ruby. And last night he came close, just wouldn't pop off and wore the battery charge.

Jim helped this morning get the axle nuts off, driver side took the torque multiplier, two feet of leverage, and a lot of force. Was really on there. I am very appreciative of Jim driving the hour out here, would have literally taken me weeks.

After left and got lunch, was feeling even more competitive. Installed the carburetor, tune up, installed a brand new battery, checked for oil pressure, then gave it a go. Popped off right away, no touching the pedal! Very Happy

Darn new fuel pump not working, though too dark, too cold, and too wore out to fiddle with tonight. Just great to hear the familiar sound! Very Happy

Here is the live Facebook video:

Link

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Since this thread has died (clueless what I did to cause/deserve), will post a separate, though would like to mention right rear has uneven wear on the drum.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

#5748 Empi Axle Nut Removal tool 36mm is especially suited to loosening/tightening axle nuts.
You can beat on it with a BFH!
Get your Beetle running/driving before you tear it all apart for bodywork, so you actually know what is bad in the running gear.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
#5748 Empi Axle Nut Removal tool 36mm is especially suited to loosening/tightening axle nuts.
You can beat on it with a BFH!
Get your Beetle running/driving before you tear it all apart for bodywork, so you actually know what is bad in the running gear.

Axle nuts are put back hand tight until get a piece of bar stock and/or parking brake cables installed.

Yes, my plan is to have her drivable before paint. As can tell from the video, engine runs well and transmission was rebuilt not that long ago, manual transmissions don't go bad sitting. Do know needs new shift and coupler bushings, just have to get them in.

Still waiting on the fuel line from Germany, which Eric of Bughaus thinks be in today or tomorrow. That order has front wheel bearings and seals, the shorter hard brake line, and parking lamp bulbs.

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Never know what you might of forgotten you have. Reply with quote

Have heard an interest keeping this thread updated, so here is today's.

Looking for something else, found a piece of bed frame, worked well and the axle nuts are now torqued. Amusing thing was when correctly torqued, lined up bang on for passenger side and only needed a bump from the 18 inch breaker bar.

Still waiting on a part from Germany before Eric sends out another box of parts.

Lesson learned today is to expect the unexpected. Garage door motor shorted causing the door to open, smash the aftermarket windshield. Oh well, bet could have been worse, I am not replaceable like glass is.

bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

wanted to say , keep up the good work on your dads old bug . really man . the joy will be yours . I also have a build thread on here for my 64 bug . so we both have a 64 and a gray cat lol
and yea that's what I used .

Last edited by bad91teg on Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

bad91teg wrote:
wanted to say , keep up the good work on your das old bug . really man . the joy will be yours .

Appreciate the confirmation to keep this thread going. In the past, felt like was talking to myself, though need to remember a lot of folks just don't have time to respond. Already feeling good getting this done, just wish Dad was physically here as we had planned (we even got some parts together).

bad91teg wrote:
I also have a build thread on here for my 64 bug . so we both have a 64 and a gray cat lol

Yes, I have seen that. I remember the Birth Certificate (right now still in that safe place) stating February, however, this morning when checking the numbers, she is ahead by 46,164. Down the rabbit hole I go with numbers, suffice to say, the numbers seem illogical so do a separate thread.

Not sure where you got the idea I am owned by a cat, I don't. Though was adopted by a red dog. If the grey cat put up with it, see make a fun photograph of a matching cat and Beetle. Razz

bad91teg wrote:
and yea that's what I used .

Well, had to use what Jim had when we got them off. Now not only have the 1/2 inch drive 12 point socket, though a 3/4 inch drive 6 point. Was really nice as had one socket on the breaker bar and one on the torque wrench. Tighten with the breaker until feels about right and without changing sockets, check the torque (both times spot on).

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

About six hours later, the new emergency brake cables are in. Ugh, worse than installing an IRS driveline by yourself. Thus why the update is this morning, rather than last night, took a cold shower to relax the aching muscles and crashed into bed.

Before hooking up the cables, decided to get the broken cable end out and a ball point pen that had fallen in (Dad so busy with us children and his ex making life miserable many little things on Ruby didn't get done, like the emergency brake boot). Trouble is reaching down that far into the tunnel, so made really long tweezers from a coat hanger.

Link

Link

Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's 1964 Ruby Red Beetle Reply with quote

Rear brakes adjusted and back wheels on. Passenger side seems to not be quite right regarding the shoe and how adjusts, though since so easy to remove the axle nut, leave it for now and when driving, then decide. Even have a thermal gun and probe.

Emergency brake set to three clicks, takes a firmer tug to get to three, prefer it to be tight.

Will say good didn't set the rear dampers all the way firm, fairly hard to push down and only ever so slight rebound. I prefer a firm and tight ride, feels better. Now really want to get the fronts done, taking a long time to get the brake line from Germany (rather save shipping and ship all at once, plus use Eric as been a huge help and have good vibes about him).

Quote on new windshield glass and installation is $200. Seems only one company willing to install gasketted glass, one company rudely snarked at me soon as told them the vehical, sure miss the good old days when everyone was nice (better yet the customer was always right).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 50

Jump to: