Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

I found a specific part I had been looking for for quite some time on a "buy it now" ebay listing. Contacted the seller and we texted back and forth a couple of times about it that evening. I was awaiting a follow-up text from him before I pulled the trigger on buying it and when I got up the next morning the price had magically gone up 25%. So there are those a$$#oles, too :2gunfire:. It's still for sale.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Ive had the same with buyers. Last 3 or 4 things I tried to sell, they didnt even show up.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Im still waiting....from 4 sellers.. that apparently dont want to sell the shit they have listed. 1 did contact me..she cant find it... then deleated the listing. so.... hear is a new title for this thread... why is it so effing hard to buy stuff??
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

I have a slightly wobbly wheel on the GTi. Might be able to be fixed (or not). Anyhow I found a Facebook Marketplace seller advertising the wheel I'm looking for. The ad is at least 6 weeks old, took a chance and contacted him. "Are these still available" a couple of days later I get an affirmative response and we start messaging back and forth.
I asked if he minded shipping FedEx. No problem. Great! Can I get a total weight? The wife works for FedEx an can e-mail you a PDF shipping label. Great, he says. Then he says. You want all four wheels right?. Ummm no....
You advertised and pictured one (1) wheel, Not wheelsss. Then he proceeds to tell me he has a local buyer interested in the set of 4. WTF???
He will get back to me if the guy passes. Rolling Eyes

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Between forgetful baby boomers who may or may not even have the parts anymore and millinials I’ve given up on anything being business as usual ever again.
I recently had a guy I talked to on the phone! He spent the whole conversation telling me his whole life story and couldn’t be nailed down to meet.
So I put him in my contacts and waited.
Sure enough he starts emailing me like I’m the flake, totally stalking me. Wouldn’t listen to me at all. For a few moments I considered retaliation but did not.
Kinda of a bummer but whata ya gunna do ?
A very solid friend of mine may or may not have a storage locker full of his years of collecting vintage Porsche and VW parts and cars. At this point I don’t know if he is reminiscing or he really has it. It doesn’t matter to me, when he brings it up I offer to help. I consider this man family and he knows it. I would hate to see this collection go to a storage auction. If what’s he saying is true, he’s paying for it with his SSI.
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

My pet peeve is sellers that won't put a price in the ad, like on CL. If they're going to sell something, it's up to them to price it. If an item isn't priced, I move on.

Same thing at swap meets. Most of the stuff isn't priced. If I go to an event and take stuff to sell, I always price my items clearly....and am usually willing to negotiate.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

My experience is not that people are scared to sell parts, it is they are intimidated by shipping parts. Most sellers just want you to pick it up and hand them cash. There are still lots of people that DO NOT do any kind of electronic internet money transaction.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

61 BUS wrote:
My pet peeve is sellers that won't put a price in the ad...

Mine, too. "Ask!" or "Make me an offer that you think is reasonable." GTF outta here with that i$ht. If you want bids, list it on ebay. If we have to "ask" then there's something wrong with your price.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
61 BUS wrote:
My pet peeve is sellers that won't put a price in the ad...

Mine, too. "Ask!" or "Make me an offer that you think is reasonable." GTF outta here with that i$ht. If you want bids, list it on ebay. If we have to "ask" then there's something wrong with your price.

I used to be on that front, now the egay algorithm that pennies up the bid in favor of the buyers saving can go to hell.
A buck or two is a waste of bandwidth in my opinion. Life is to enjoy, I never enjoyed making (only) a buck.
When I need something I know exactly how much I need it.
I shopped around for some throw rugs for my pad and was happy the cheapest place still had em when I went back. I had never had to shop for household goods before. Three blood red shags for bachelor pad 25$
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
My experience is not that people are scared to sell parts, it is they are intimidated by shipping parts. Most sellers just want you to pick it up and hand them cash. There are still lots of people that DO NOT do any kind of electronic internet money transaction.

Agreed. Big problem for me being in Germany, many don't want to ship USPS to my US Army Base address.

I usually price out my stuff to include shipping (it's not that expensive as the zip is 09114, NY, but goes to a consolidation point in Chicago) Big problem is large items are a pain and can be expensive. I'd like to sell my old 5 wide spoked steel buggy wheels, but shipping is more than what the wheels are worth.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

In addition to that, a potential buyer contacts you, asks you how much to ship the item. You then have to package the item, go & get a quote for shipping & then never hear from the assholes again.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
In addition to that, a potential buyer contacts you, asks you how much to ship the item. You then have to package the item, go & get a quote for shipping & then never hear from the assholes again.

I agree, but you shouldn't have to go get a shipping quote. As long as you have
the buyer's Zip code and a box and a decent kitchen scale, you can calculate it using the U.S.P.S. website.
It works for foreign countries, too.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

61 BUS wrote:
My pet peeve is sellers that won't put a price in the ad, like on CL. If they're going to sell something, it's up to them to price it. If an item isn't priced, I move on.

Same thing at swap meets. Most of the stuff isn't priced. If I go to an event and take stuff to sell, I always price my items clearly....and am usually willing to negotiate.

In person at swap meets is so much different. The sellers are right in front of you, as are the parts. If purchasing online were that easy we'd all be better off.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I've seen an ad where the seller says if the buyer wants to buy the part, they need to pay for it, first. Once the money posts, the seller will box it up and get the shipping cost, then email the buyer and await the shipping payment to be made. Then he sends the part. I thought that was a pretty clever way to eliminate that nonsense.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

swap meats without pricing well sometimes you can get a hell of a deal..and sometimes that moron just wants to show of "lookey at what I have" shit. then you are wide open to show him/her all the flaws and issues with his pos and say ive got 3 just like it on the wall of shame back at the shop.you want more?you price is cheep !!or dam Ill take half of that!!! then give them the rong foney number.... Razz Wink you just cant fix stupid...or defective people.
what these non pricing morons dont realize is the amount of people that will pay the price if they just put it on the parts!!!!but they just keep walking. and if you see a box of stuff that you want, pick through ask afew how muches, then make a offer on the whole box. last week up in GA we got about $3000 worth of stainless bends for...$100. he wanted to sell them by the peice., make a offer,tell them they dont have to ever haul it around any more. they will usuely counter offer, you can counter offer it or not, but dont let them know how much you really want it....and do Not drool on the peices you really way. almost all sellers will dicker some. especialy if they dont know what they have...( waite till the knowitall leaves to go pee!! then dicker with the wife/helper)
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
swap meats without pricing well sometimes you can get a hell of a deal..and sometimes that moron just wants to show of "lookey at what I have" shit. then you are wide open to show him/her all the flaws and issues with his pos and say ive got 3 just like it on the wall of shame back at the shop.you want more?you price is cheep !!or dam Ill take half of that!!! then give them the rong foney number.... Razz Wink you just cant fix stupid...or defective people.
what these non pricing morons dont realize is the amount of people that will pay the price if they just put it on the parts!!!!but they just keep walking. and if you see a box of stuff that you want, pick through ask afew how muches, then make a offer on the whole box. last week up in GA we got about $3000 worth of stainless bends for...$100. he wanted to sell them by the peice., make a offer,tell them they dont have to ever haul it around any more. they will usuely counter offer, you can counter offer it or not, but dont let them know how much you really want it....and do Not drool on the peices you really way. almost all sellers will dicker some. especialy if they dont know what they have...( waite till the knowitall leaves to go pee!! then dicker with the wife/helper)

so yer sayin that if you deal wit teh wife youd dicker?
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

Blah blah
iowegian

Ya facker
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

so yer sayin that if you deal wit the wife youd dicker?

better make sure her hubby's not around Anxious

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Or want cash in hand or to meet in person, for various reasons
Paranoia/tax avoidance/no digital record/need some human interaction/blah/blah
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so damn hard for someone to sell parts? Reply with quote

I've been lucky apparently after reading all these posts. 99% of the people that buy from me or sell me something have been fantastic. I agree that retired people prefer to be paid by check/money order and when they buy something, often times simply send me a check or money order. I'm fine with that as well.

The 1% of folks that we are challenged by are typically people I'm trying to purchase things from. Facebook marketplace is terrible for people selling things and not replying back or vanishing during the conversation. It's very odd to me.

If people are trying to sell you things, they should not mind being asked for additional pictures or other information. I've had customers ask for that from me and I never mind supplying them with the additional information or pictures. In some cases they don't purchase it and that's ok. Now I will say that I've had a handful of people "try" and email me to death with question after question. I'm talking 10 emails plus. That's way too much and thankfully those folks are rare.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: