Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Bay Window Transporter
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

H
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Recently purchased this 73 Bus ,1700 engine.Complaint was that it was leaking fuel out the bottom.Appears some parts are missing like throttle cable return spring ?Anyone school me on what the round canister with relay on it and the fuel lines going into it is for?I see where the return spring attaches to the throttle cable but where does the other end hook onto?Looks like the EGR pump is seized are people removing these or what’s best?Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Wow!, that's a really clean and original looking bus! (for the most part).

The throttle spring attaches to a hole in the reinforcement rib in the engine compartment roof, there's a little square plastic ferrule in the hole.
The canister is an Eberspacher BN-4 gas heater, score!
There's not many running a smog pump these days, makes a great decoration though. (the EGR is another system under the engine on the left and then along the firewall to each manifold).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Wow forgot all about the heaters on some these VW!So if I remove the air pump can I remove EGR valve and hoses and plug everything?I will have to go look for the spring hook up. Thanks a lot for the response and great answers to my questions!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

smog pump injected air into the exhaust stream at the heads to assist in burning any CO into CO2, and HC into H20 and CO2. The technology in general was replaced with catalytic converters. EGR injects burned gases that have no oxygen left into the intake. It maintains the compression ratio but lowers combustion temperature to reduce NOX.

Might look at the manufacturer date - could be a 1974.

Last edited by SGKent on Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Yes, you can remove the afterburner system and the EGR system as well, you'll have to plug the holes in the heads for the afterburner pipes and cap the manifolds and exhaust where the EGR connected, you'll also need a 72 style crossover pipe for the central idle system (no takeoff for the afterburner pump).
Try to take it off nicely, some day you may want to have all the correct parts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

I'd go slowly on that bus. It looks pretty clean and you may want to think thru any changes. Even the paint looks like it may buff out.

There are things like the nut on the oil strainer that if tightened by hand too tight can destroy the engine instantly. 9 ft lbs only.
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Ya the original owner had it all undercoated and it’s falling off now but underneath is beautiful .Maybe I will inspect the seized air pump and leave that system on there.I found the plastic insert where the return spring connects just need to find a proper spring now.
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Wow, what a hell of a score.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Looks super great, wish something like that would fall in my lap.
And is this a Saskatchewan bus?? Thats Wild if so.

Maybe the driver side and nose has been repainted or am I tripping?

Care to share about how it came to be in your possession? I like these kinds of stories, gives me a false sense of hope that more of them are out there in my long lost family members shed.
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Yes bus was sitting in Regina parked for 11 years.The previous owner had young family and no time to get it on the road.Hopefully be ready to fire it up next weekend .Takes some time figuring out some of the things like the vacum lines.Eventually install a lowered adjustable front beam and lower the rear somehow!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

canadadude wrote:
Yes bus was sitting in Regina parked for 11 years.The previous owner had young family and no time to get it on the road.Hopefully be ready to fire it up next weekend .Takes some time figuring out some of the things like the vacum lines.Eventually install a lowered adjustable front beam and lower the rear somehow!

Great looking Bus!

Just be warned, your going to get some hate around here for lowering it. But absolutely go for it! I've got full Wagenswest slam bay on my 74, and it rides fantastic.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Thanks I won’t be chopping anything and keeping original parts around so it could go back to stock anytime !
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Anyone know what wire supposed to be hooked to this connection
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

no hate - the value of that bus is in its originality -it is a once is a decade find based on your photos. Cleaned, waxed, any rust taken care of, worn out parts restored you may have a $35K bus. Lowered and tweaked its a $16K - $18K bus. You do the math. I wish I was rich enough to be able to throw $15K-20K in the fireplace on a whim just to see what it looked like burning.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

canadadude wrote:

That is just a ground connection.

Ground wires are brown, so look for one laying around.
If not, the wire may have been be rerouted to some other ground.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

canadadude wrote:
[pic]

What are we discussing?. the coiled up blueish wire in the background?, the spade terminal peeking out from behind the fuse holder?, or something on the fuse holder?

Слава Україні!
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

Spade terminal beside fuse holder
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

it would be brown whatever it is because that is a ground.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

It's for test network terminal #17 (trans ground strap condition), it'll be a brown/white wire most likely.

Слава Україні!
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Bay Window Transporter Reply with quote

I’ll have to look some more didn’t see that color of a wire near there,but I do have some wires near battery that weren’t used and taped all up.The brass fitting for the distributor advance is snapped off also so I will have to drill that out.Does anyone know what the threaded hole is for on side of carb?It appears to have no hole inside there but just not sure if I can’t see it?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: