Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prerunner vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Got a thread or pics of your supercharged syncro? Smile

It's in the comedy section of the site. Smile Not exactly a pro-build, but it's coming along!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683344

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Got a thread or pics of your supercharged syncro? Smile

It's in the comedy section of the site. Smile Not exactly a pro-build, but it's coming along!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683344&highlight=reviving

funny, i watch that thread and i didnt even realize it was supercharged Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Here's mine 84 Caravelle 1.9 DG Auto full sunroof

215/70 15 Geolandars on 6" x 15 Mefro Steels.
New standard Westy springs and Meyle HD shocks.

I have some 7x15 Merc wheels to fit once I sort kerb rash on one of the set I bought.

Regards
Rick

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Cobra88 wrote:
Here's mine 84 Caravelle 1.9 DG Auto full sunroof

215/70 15 Geolandars on 6" x 15 Mefro Steels.
New standard Westy springs and Meyle HD shocks.

I have some 7x15 Merc wheels to fit once I sort kerb rash on one of the set I bought.

Regards
Rick

Is that a vinyl "wood paneling" addition? Love it!
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:

It is

I love those american shooting brakes you had in the 70s. Smile
Rick
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Cobra88 wrote:
luVWagn wrote:

It is

I love those american shooting brakes you had in the 70s. :)
Rick

Hey, we refer to those as bigass wagons.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Cobra88 wrote:
... shooting brakes ...

Wow - I had no idea this was a thing: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting-brake

Barely finished my coffee and I already learned something today! Cool Laughing Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

I wrongly Assumed that a Shooting Brake was an American term Embarassed

My Dad was a 60s-70s American Muscle Car Addict
and my Grandfather owned a Garage here in England and had a towtruck made from a Duce & a Half left behind after you guys helped us kick Nazi butt Wink

Grew up with all manner of cars that wouldn't fit on a UK Driveway Laughing

inc one of those Pale green 70s Woody wagons with wind down window on the tailgate (had same rear shocks as Uncle Buck too)

was driven to school in a Hudson Terraplane still with s white star on the doors! oh the shame of it. Wink

Rick
Oestlund96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Here´s my '82 aircooled vanagon. A lift is in the making.

For those of you who are interested, my bus got an instagram account @2wdwonder
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Oestlund96 wrote:
Here´s my '82 aircooled vanagon. A lift is in the making.

Looks Great! My Favorite body of the Vanagon line. Very Happy

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Sweet van!

OTOH, to be considered a prerunner it's way too clean...just too clean, man...

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
scavengers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

What are the considerations when rebuilding a transmission on a Prerunner van? I'm heading toward a rebuild on my 2wd, and I want it to be as off-road capable as possible.

I'm planning on ordering and adding a Peloquin for improved traction.

Aside from that, and assuming the mechanic and replacement parts are reputable, is there anything else worth thinking about while the transmission is under the knife?

To be specific, I'm looking at some combination of GoWesty/German Transaxle/my local shop for this operation.
jschwerdtfeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

scavengers wrote:
What are the considerations when rebuilding a transmission on a Prerunner van? I'm heading toward a rebuild on my 2wd, and I want it to be as off-road capable as possible.

Aside from that, and assuming the mechanic and replacement parts are reputable, is there anything else worth thinking about while the transmission is under the knife?

To be specific, I'm looking at some combination of GoWesty/German Transaxle/my local shop for this operation.

Could also do a factory 5 speed or syncro TA swap so you have a granny gear.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

scavengers wrote:

I believe Mr. Gas said you can get a Peloquin and locker as well. He lists a 5-speed that can have a granny gear. It seems that a Peloquin and/or Locker and granny gear would be a good choice, but I have experience with none of this!

"
094 5 Speed
VW Vanagon 5 Speed
Rebuilt Vw 5 Speed Transaxle . Can be Re Geared for High Way Cruising. Granny First Or Stock Rebuilds. All up grades can be applied to the 5 speed. All of the upgrade Differentials are avilable for this Trans also. We Carry all the parts needed to install a 5 speeds into Your 4 speed Vanagon!
Price: $1650.00"
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Seems like as good as any place to ask for a recommendation.

Currently stock ‘88 tin top. Sitting at 15.5” - 15.75” all around on 215/65/R15 Nexen tires. They aren’t great, but work and it’s what came with the van. The offset of the wheels are pretty terrible according to Mark of Markswagen, so those will go as well to make things easier. After doing an engine transplant, I’m ready to tackle getting this thing lifted.

After reading a lot on lifting a 2wd, I know I don’t want to go any higher than 18”, 17.5 sounds like it’s the money spot.

Initially was going to go with Moog 5658’s in the front with the gowesty black alloys and general grabber 215/70/R16. Gowesty zero lift in the rear, and spacers if needed. Also looking at doing the HD Endlinks and Chris’ Swaybar after the amazing and numerous reviews found here.

My question to you guys is what shocks would you pair with this setup? Is this setup any good? What would you do if you were going to do it once, and do it right. Fully up to any recommendation on wheels, tires, shocks and springs.

Thanks!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:

Currently stock ‘88 tin top. Sitting at 15.5” - 15.75” all around on 215/65/R15 Nexen tires. They aren’t great, but work and it’s what came with the van. The offset of the wheels are pretty terrible according to Mark of Markswagen, so those will go as well to make things easier. After doing an engine transplant, I’m ready to tackle getting this thing lifted.

After reading a lot on lifting a 2wd, I know I don’t want to go any higher than 18”, 17.5 sounds like it’s the money spot.

Initially was going to go with Moog 5658’s in the front with the gowesty black alloys and general grabber 215/70/R16. Gowesty zero lift in the rear, and spacers if needed. Also looking at doing the HD Endlinks and Chris’ Swaybar after the amazing and numerous reviews found here.

My question to you guys is what shocks would you pair with this setup? Is this setup any good? What would you do if you were going to do it once, and do it right. Fully up to any recommendation on wheels, tires, shocks and springs.

Thanks!

Beautiful van! I had a very similar setup on my 2wd (one page back.) I'm a big fan of the Moog 5658, really a perfect fit. I had Bilstein HD's on mine and really liked them, but a lot of folks around here think they're too soft. In combination with the T3 sway bar I thought they were perfect. Koni's are popular, mainly I think because they're adjustable. Maybe look around at other wheel options, too? The GW mercedes knock-off wheels have been known to crack around the hubs, but that might have just been a few outliers.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Russpauly wrote:

Thanks!

Beautiful van! I had a very similar setup on my 2wd (one page back.) I'm a big fan of the Moog 5658, really a perfect fit. I had Bilstein HD's on mine and really liked them, but a lot of folks around here think they're too soft. In combination with the T3 sway bar I thought they were perfect. Koni's are popular, mainly I think because they're adjustable. Maybe look around at other wheel options, too? The GW mercedes knock-off wheels have been known to crack around the hubs, but that might have just been a few outliers.

Good to know about the GoWesty wheels. Hadn't heard or read too much chat about them so I didn't think twice about it. Really, 15'' Steelies were the original route, and seem to be more readily available at decent prices. Just a matter if I can find more locally here in SD.

Sounds like I'm going back to my first idea. Mood 5658's, Westy Rear springs with pads if needed, T3 sway bar and Bilsteins.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:

Sounds like I'm going back to my first idea. Mood 5658's, Westy Rear springs with pads if needed, T3 sway bar and Bilsteins.

I think it's important to note that I went through many suspension iterations on my van before I was finally happy with the setup.

It can be quite the journey, along with your wheel Vision Quest:

joetiger wrote:
You basically have two choices.

Option 1:

You'll search high and low for a good deal on some wheels that may or may not fit. You'll research fitment, and after a SOLID week in the "wheels and tires" thread, will find that they're so close but need machining, spacers, longer lugs/studs, lug holes drilled out, or any combination of these toils. You'll remember seeing a post somewhere about which Porsche studs some guy used on his '81 Westy but you just can't pinpoint where it was. You'll search. You'll search again. You'll use a million terms but where the hell was that POST?

While compiling this information, you'll be looking for tires. Tirerack.com, tireseasy, tirecrawler, etc. You'll then need to research whether the tires you like meet the load requirements of the Vanagon and you'll search thread after thread for others' reviews of said tire. You'll find that the tires that are a great deal just barely won't do it, and you'll end up finding, after days of reading about BFG Long Trails on Pathfinders and about whether or not Continental Vancos really do suck in the snow that the proper tires just plain cost money.

In the meantime, you'll be doing the math. You'll find that the wheels you were getting a great deal on will, after much research, definitely require modifications to either the wheel, your lugs/studs, center hole bore, or all three, which will nullify that great deal you were thought you were getting.

The end result? After your hours and days of sleepless research and lost work time and lost play time in which friends and family will think you've spectacularly lost your marbles, you will add it all up and find that the modified wheels and the tires (after shipping and mounting/balancing) come out to right around $1100.

Option 2:

Buy a wheel/tire set from one of the vendors for right around $1100.

What you'll do:

Initially, you'll choose Option 1. We all do. (We're rugged individualist Vanagon drivers, for heaven's sake.) But then when it's time to pull the trigger, your true personality will reveal itself:

Personality A:

You'll realize that Option 2 was there all along. You're an efficient person who likes to make sharp decisions based on all data available. You're eager to solve this problem and move on to the next one. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches by choosing Option 2, and you'll have correct-fitting, properly-rated wheels and tires in a snap. You'll sleep well in the knowledge that you checked all avenues but in the end, you trusted the professionals and went with a very solid choice. Your friends, family, and peers will laud your decision, and you will continue on your path to Vanagon Happiness.

(And then you'll naturally move on to "engine conversion vs. rebuild" research.)

Personality B:

You'll see Option 2 out there and know that it's there for the taking, but you're stubborn and a bit prideful. You won't want your days of red-eyed research to be for naught. You'll stick with Option 1 and fight tooth and nail until you get the very specific tires you want on the very specific rims you want. It might take massive shipping costs. It could require the extreme modifications mentioned above, along with a nice sprinkling of blood, sweat, and tears. None of this matters. You will not be thwarted in the quest for your own singular version of Vanagon Wheels and Tires. They will be a badge of honor upon your Vanagon. Sure, that guy over there withn the cherry '87 Weekender has awesome Mefro Steelies and Nokians and they look great, fit perfectly, and do everything they're supposed to, but did he suffer for them the way you did for yours? Hell no.

You will leave a trail of destroyed friendships in your wake. Your family will consider an intervention. But it won't matter, none of it will matter, because regardless of what they think, they'll never have the ability to see an Audi A6 rolling down the street and think to themselves:

"5x112 15x7.5 ET45, 57MM centerbore, 12mm lug holes. 15mm spacers front. Centerbore holes drilled to 66mm. Lug holes drilled to 14mm. Longer lugs in front, longer studs in rear."

Or pull up to the grocery store and see a 1992 Mercedes C Class:

"5x112 15/6.5, ET 41. Or maybe ET37. 5mm spacers up front. Lug holes drilled from 12mm to 14mm."

Or perhaps see a Jag with cool wheels and think,

"5x114.5. Won't fit."

Or always keep an eye out at the U-pull-it yard for Merkur Scorpios, which you KNOW are nonexistent, but which came with extremely unique 5x112 wheels that could...maybe...fit....

So there are your choices. Nobody can make these decisions for you. It is a path upon which we all have walked and occasionally stumbled, but in the end, it's all part of your initiation. Some, myself included, have walked the path several times. I think it's a form of cleansing, really, like wandering into the desert and fasting.

Signed,

Ronal R9 15/7.5 ET23 66MM centerbore 14mm lug holes (conical seat) wrapped in Yokohama Geolandar 215/70/15's.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Russpauly wrote:

I think it's important to note that I went through many suspension iterations on my van before I was finally happy with the setup.

It can be quite the journey, along with your wheel Vision Quest:

joetiger wrote:
You basically have two choices.

Option 1:

You'll search high and low for a good deal on some wheels that may or may not fit. You'll research fitment, and after a SOLID week in the "wheels and tires" thread, will find that they're so close but need machining, spacers, longer lugs/studs, lug holes drilled out, or any combination of these toils. You'll remember seeing a post somewhere about which Porsche studs some guy used on his '81 Westy but you just can't pinpoint where it was. You'll search. You'll search again. You'll use a million terms but where the hell was that POST?

While compiling this information, you'll be looking for tires. Tirerack.com, tireseasy, tirecrawler, etc. You'll then need to research whether the tires you like meet the load requirements of the Vanagon and you'll search thread after thread for others' reviews of said tire. You'll find that the tires that are a great deal just barely won't do it, and you'll end up finding, after days of reading about BFG Long Trails on Pathfinders and about whether or not Continental Vancos really do suck in the snow that the proper tires just plain cost money.

In the meantime, you'll be doing the math. You'll find that the wheels you were getting a great deal on will, after much research, definitely require modifications to either the wheel, your lugs/studs, center hole bore, or all three, which will nullify that great deal you were thought you were getting.

The end result? After your hours and days of sleepless research and lost work time and lost play time in which friends and family will think you've spectacularly lost your marbles, you will add it all up and find that the modified wheels and the tires (after shipping and mounting/balancing) come out to right around $1100.

Option 2:

Buy a wheel/tire set from one of the vendors for right around $1100.

What you'll do:

Initially, you'll choose Option 1. We all do. (We're rugged individualist Vanagon drivers, for heaven's sake.) But then when it's time to pull the trigger, your true personality will reveal itself:

Personality A:

You'll realize that Option 2 was there all along. You're an efficient person who likes to make sharp decisions based on all data available. You're eager to solve this problem and move on to the next one. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches by choosing Option 2, and you'll have correct-fitting, properly-rated wheels and tires in a snap. You'll sleep well in the knowledge that you checked all avenues but in the end, you trusted the professionals and went with a very solid choice. Your friends, family, and peers will laud your decision, and you will continue on your path to Vanagon Happiness.

(And then you'll naturally move on to "engine conversion vs. rebuild" research.)

Personality B:

You'll see Option 2 out there and know that it's there for the taking, but you're stubborn and a bit prideful. You won't want your days of red-eyed research to be for naught. You'll stick with Option 1 and fight tooth and nail until you get the very specific tires you want on the very specific rims you want. It might take massive shipping costs. It could require the extreme modifications mentioned above, along with a nice sprinkling of blood, sweat, and tears. None of this matters. You will not be thwarted in the quest for your own singular version of Vanagon Wheels and Tires. They will be a badge of honor upon your Vanagon. Sure, that guy over there withn the cherry '87 Weekender has awesome Mefro Steelies and Nokians and they look great, fit perfectly, and do everything they're supposed to, but did he suffer for them the way you did for yours? Hell no.

You will leave a trail of destroyed friendships in your wake. Your family will consider an intervention. But it won't matter, none of it will matter, because regardless of what they think, they'll never have the ability to see an Audi A6 rolling down the street and think to themselves:

"5x112 15x7.5 ET45, 57MM centerbore, 12mm lug holes. 15mm spacers front. Centerbore holes drilled to 66mm. Lug holes drilled to 14mm. Longer lugs in front, longer studs in rear."

Or pull up to the grocery store and see a 1992 Mercedes C Class:

"5x112 15/6.5, ET 41. Or maybe ET37. 5mm spacers up front. Lug holes drilled from 12mm to 14mm."

Or perhaps see a Jag with cool wheels and think,

"5x114.5. Won't fit."

Or always keep an eye out at the U-pull-it yard for Merkur Scorpios, which you KNOW are nonexistent, but which came with extremely unique 5x112 wheels that could...maybe...fit....

So there are your choices. Nobody can make these decisions for you. It is a path upon which we all have walked and occasionally stumbled, but in the end, it's all part of your initiation. Some, myself included, have walked the path several times. I think it's a form of cleansing, really, like wandering into the desert and fasting.

Signed,

Ronal R9 15/7.5 ET23 66MM centerbore 14mm lug holes (conical seat) wrapped in Yokohama Geolandar 215/70/15's.

Joe, this is one of the best posts I've ever read on The Samba. You've captured the Sambanista mindset perfectly - pure gold!!! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

I read that out to the lady and she is giggling. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: