Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ford vs. Ferrari
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

Worth going to see! A few factual liberties taken, but not much. Great racing. Next to the 917, I think the GT40 is my favorite racer, though you can't deny the Ferrari sexiness.

I heard the only CGI scenes (not real racing) were the crash scenes. If so, they done good!

So after Ford quit racing after '70, it was Porsche's turn with the incredible 917. We have Steve McQueen's "LeMans" for that (fictional) story, with even better racing footage.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

Gonna see it this week. Just need to find a theater with a good sound system and large screen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

Just got back from seeing it. It seemed to be a tribute to Ken Miles. Matt Damon did a believable job of portraying Shelby. A few years ago I had the pleasure of seeing the actual cars that that finished 1-2-3 in 1966 (along with a gaggle of other GT40s) at Road America.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

what a relief! I thought this was one of gregg's more wackier threads Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

Our SCCA region scored free tickets to an early release a couple weeks ago. It's a good movie, and so much better than typical CGI superhero movies that seem to be the norm.

However, there are a lot of Hollywood liberties that were taken. I'd strongly recommend reading Go Like Hell before seeing the movie. There's so much detail that was filtered out or changed in the movie.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

I was invited to see the movie cars in person last weekend. Pinch me! I don't think there will ever be such a collection in one place again. These are for sale and will be scattered around the globe. Just a sampling...

That Gulf-colored GT40P is street legal!

EDIT: Sorry folks, I hoped having one of the two photos with Porsches in it would allow it to stay here on the Samba, but they have both been deleted. All the photo hosting sites want a lot of privacy information and other restrictions I just cannot accept, so I'm out of luck.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 pm; edited 6 times in total
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

i don't know anything about the movie, but ford vs farrari, for me will always remind me of ford taking farrari to court over the their naming on of their formula one cars the f-150, surely that can only have been good advertising.

619 201 0310
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

several vw's in the movie,

bugs and buses
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

This 250LM was the last Ferrari to achieve an overall win at LeMans back in 1965. The following year it was Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon winning with the Ford GT40 Mk II for Shelby-American Inc. This is the race depicted in the film where Ford's desire for publicity screwed Ken Miles out of his much-deserved win.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

Just got back from seeing it, no problems loved every minute wife did too. If you are a gear head you’ll be interested.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

I'm really glad I made the effort to see this an the theatre while it's still playing. (Drove an hour each way!)
This was an awesome movie! All things considered it stays quite close to the real events, at least compared to what I know from reading a few books and watching a few documentaries. Most Hollywood productions are constricted by the structure of film making to change the sequence of events, add or remove characters and create drama where none existed.
This is such an amazing story not a lot of changes needed to be made. There are one or two silly scenes that were clearly thrown in there for "character development" but it doesn't pander to a perceived "dumbed-down" audience like it could have.
The racing scenes were really exciting and well-shot and even when you know how the story ends it's still very dramatic.
The best compliment I can pay this film is that my wife, who is not a motorsports fan, was on the edge of her seat for the entire two-and-a-half hours!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

Enjoyed it, kept thinking Richard Petty deserves a movie like this, especially the transition from Ford to Chrysler in 1970. Super Birds really need some CGI to make them even more absurd!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
This 250LM was the last Ferrari to achieve an overall win at LeMans back in 1965. The following year it was Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon winning with the Ford GT40 Mk II for Shelby-American Inc. This is the race depicted in the film where Ford's desire for publicity screwed Ken Miles out of his much-deserved win.

I have a soft spot for red Ferrari's. That is one sexy car!

How fitting, that there is what appears to be a Black Cobra in the background of the pic.

Haven't seen the movie. Yet!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

As an side, for Chevy fans... interesting article in the same November 1970 Motor Trend where I found an article on EFI that included the Type 3 engine... it's the cover story about "CERV II", the Corvette Experimental Racing Vehicle from 1963/64. It was radical for the time by being 4WD and would have changed the race and movie to "Chevy vs. Ford vs. Ferrari" but for Chevrolet dropping out of much of its racing just as Ford did a few years later. Depending on engine and gearing, 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, top speed 183 mph.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

Ford almost bought Ferrari back then.
Ford guys are a breed of their own.
Sold the broken dealer license frame to the owner of a factory race car from that dealership.
Much respect
Sorry For the non disclosure on some details.

It is always sound business to take any obtainable net gain, at any cost and at any risk to the rest of the community. - quote Thorstein Veblen.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
How fitting, that there is what appears to be a Black Cobra in the background of the pic.

Well, not only is that a genuine 427 Cobra, it's the very last 427 built by Shelby American back in 1967. It's actually a very dark blue...and restored to perfection.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the movie. I did a little tribute film with some vintage HotWheels redlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMwY8kMovKI

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
As an side, for Chevy fans... interesting article in the same November 1970 Motor Trend where I found an article on EFI that included the Type 3 engine... it's the cover story about "CERV II", the Corvette Experimental Racing Vehicle from 1963/64. It was radical for the time by being 4WD and would have changed the race and movie to "Chevy vs. Ford vs. Ferrari" but for Chevrolet dropping out of much of its racing just as Ford did a few years later. Depending on engine and gearing, 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, top speed 183 mph.

Hot parts for the Vega and Pinto

Lol......
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

The hot parts for the Pinto were the ones smoldering in the burned wreckage after the fire was put out.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford vs. Ferrari Reply with quote

Awesome movie, awesome cars, I have become an avid old time movie buff, not for the story line, but for the setting, the furniture and the cars, I liked the movie, but hated the fact that EVERYONE got screwed by EVERYONE. WTF?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: