Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory Reply with quote

I'm elbows deep in my first Vanagon Subaru conversion.
I went with the RMW kit from Van Cafe and its been good.
My Westfalia is an 85 or what could be considered an 84.5.
Being that my Westy is low km's and the original 1 1/4" steel coolant lines from the radiator are in fine shape I elected to keep them and not ad the hassle or cost of the stainless lines from RMW.

So my question is does anyone know how much you are supposed to cut off the O.G. lines in prep for connecting to the suby motor (in my case I will be using 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" adapters).

And what is the best way of "creating" a bead or ridge for the new ends.

I will also add additional questions as they come up in hopes of finding answers.

Thanks in advance
Hoodride for life

Last edited by oldskoolsteve on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- Keeping stock coolant pipe question Reply with quote

Try asking your question to the [email protected]

check out:

http://subaruvanagon.com/

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/HTML/05/main.html

sorry, I can't answer your question, I mounted my radiator in the rear using the subaru standard hoses.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- Keeping stock coolant pipe question Reply with quote

Reversed or non-reversed coolant manifold? Do these pipes end at the firewall? If non-reversed, I don't see the need to cut. (I have original 1.5 inch lines with my 02 2.5L reversed manifold). If reversed then enough to get your 1.5 inch hose to adapterthen 1.25 hose to metal line in to fit. One of my hoses is stepped down to 1 3/8 inch ID and the other is 1.5 inch ID. I double clamped them onto the brass fittings + over the plastic pipe. Good since 2003.
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- Keeping stock coolant pipe question Reply with quote

I'm using the reversed manifold from RMW on a 2.2 ej22.
The o.g. lines come right to the "firewall".
I was hoping to get a measurement before fitting the motor as I have the good access right now.
I can always cut them once I fit the motor but thought someone might have previously done this and have a measurement number.
Hoodride for life
lmyester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- Keeping stock coolant pipe question Reply with quote

My conversion was on an 83.5, so I had the same 1-1/4" coolant lines. I used GatesVulco Flex II hoses and you can get them that are 1-1/2" on one end and 1-1/4" on the other (so no need for adapters). I installed my motor then determined the length I needed before cutting the pipes. I just double clamped on the unmodified pipes and have been leak-free for over 30K miles. I also had to modify the firewall to allow room for the hoses.

I believe I used the 12" hose linked below, but they're available in many lengths. Also linked from the Gates page with all the different configurations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C2Y6B0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hos...000-000000
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- Keeping stock coolant pipe question Reply with quote

I was in the same boat when i did mine, but my 85 is a late 85 with the plastic pipes. As you can see in the photo the metal rings at the ends of the plastic pipes were rotted and i was getting debris from them in my coolant tank. I thought the best thing to do at that point was to buy the alum. coolant pipes.
I'm running a '99 EJ22 in mine.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- Keeping stock coolant pipe question Reply with quote

I reused a set of steel pipes with my suby conversion. I do not have a reversed manifold. I have stainless pipes around the engine bay to point towards that spot on the fire wall, i think they are burleys. They get to the fire wall (straight below it) and i have the steel pipes cut off about 10 inches forward of that. With rubber hoses connecting them. I made a bead around my pipes in a cobbled together jig i wont even try to explain because i read of someone doing it in a much easier way a year later. His method was to sacrifice a pair of large vise grips and welding half of a thick steel washer to one side and grinding a corresponding groove on the other side. The washer should close to the I.D. of the pipe.
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions Reply with quote

Next question.

Why is there 2 red wires going from the starter to the Alternator in the Volks Harness?

Not meaning the ring connector... I'm talking about female spade connectors.
Both red with black stripe, one smaller, one fatter.
These both come from what appears to be the ignition switch harness (from the same stock brown protective cover) and led to 2 male spades on the old starter.

My new hi-torque only has 1 spade

* solved thanks *
Hoodride for life

Last edited by oldskoolsteve on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions Reply with quote

Hoodride for life

Last edited by oldskoolsteve on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions Reply with quote

Once again I'm in need of help from any subaru conversion friends.
Specifically pictures of the rocky mountain westy stainless exhaust for the 2.2 motor with the single o2 sensor installed.
I'm trying to wrap my head around the set up and location of the o2 sensor in relation to the cat. It appears they want it downstream of the cat and being a single o2 system they're is no upstream o2?
Additionally i need to purchase an o2 and don't know which one to buy for this application.

Thanks
Hoodride for life
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions Reply with quote

Generally 1 O2 sensor it should be upstream of the Cat. Perhaps they have an exhaust that fits multiple engines.
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions Reply with quote

It's Rocky mountain westy's custom exhaust for the ej22 Subaru motor.

But that's my feeling as well.

The info RMW seems wrong. I feel the o2 sensor in a single set up should be upstream of the cat.
Hoodride for life
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions Reply with quote

Anyone strong in o2 system theory feel free to chime in.
Hoodride for life
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory Reply with quote

You want to put that o2 sensor before the cat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory Reply with quote

You want a Bosch O2 sensor (OEM) for the model/year of your Subaru engine. Rockauto should have them. The upstream sensor adjusts fuel trim. The rear sensor after the cat just tells the ECU whether the cat is functioning or not.
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory Reply with quote

That's what i thought but RMW has instructed me to put it with the o2 port downstream. I guess i'll have to confirm with them after the weekend that they made a mistake.
Hoodride for life
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory Reply with quote

You'll want to mount it with an angle like this as well

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory Reply with quote

oldskoolsteve wrote:
That's what i thought but RMW has instructed me to put it with the o2 port downstream. I guess i'll have to confirm with them after the weekend that they made a mistake.

Do they mean position the cat with the port downstream? Some cats are flow directional. You have an upstream port in the pipe? If you have only 1 O2 sensor it would go upstream and you plug the cat port. Their exhaust provides 2 ports.

gestatin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory Reply with quote

This is correct: O2 sensor on the upstream side of the cat.

Oldskoolsteve: when our customer service advised you to put the O2 downstream, he didn't catch that you were converting with a 2.2L OBDI motor. These OBDI conversions are getting pretty rare these days...

The service rep is emailing you this morning to make sure you have the correct O2 sensor installed in the correct orientation.

Thanks!
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion- questions... oxygen sensor theory Reply with quote

Email recieved and thank you to RMW for getting back to me quickly.
I'll be flipping the cat and now i'm only waiting on the sensor itself from a local parts store. Only days from fire up!
Hoodride for life
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: