Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Box
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Battery Box Reply with quote

Does anyone have their battery in a protective box so the seat coils do not touch the battery? I am looking for an idea of battery box but can not find one that fits my battery and is not too tall since the battery is under the driver's seat
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

Deanaha wrote:
Does anyone have their battery in a protective box so the seat coils do not touch the battery? I am looking for an idea of battery box but can not find one that fits my battery and is not too tall since the battery is under the driver's seat

Thought about lt that many times...but came to the same issues with commercially available boxes.

However....if you have the correct battery and are using the proper connector cover....I have never had an issue. Its supposed to look and work similar to the red cap on the battery in this autozone add. It typically has 3 legs that fit into holes.

https://m.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-char...a/516423_0

But....what I will be adding....is a sheet of thin, chemical proof, tough, dielectric plastic that can be zip tied to the seat springs to keep any oddities from happening.

If you go to Wal Mart....look in the Kitchen department. They have packs of 4 of these polypropylene "cutting matts" or sheets. They are about .015"-.020" thick (they vary a little) very flexible....are made of polypropylene....which is chemical proof all the way up through nitric acid.....pretty damn high dielectric capability.....which they should be because the battery case is made of glass filled polypropylene. Same material without the glass filling.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Color-Flexible-Cutting-Mat/20531370

Three sheets to a pack (used ro be four) 15.75" x 13.25".....they list 0.002" thick....but that is a typo....one too many 0's. I just measured one my current ones are about .017". I use a lot of these at work as chemical proof mixing sheets and barrier sheets. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

I moved my battery to the rear passenger side behind the seat but not for everyone I also put race trim seats in to .
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

Thank you, Ray, an excellent idea!
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

Good idea to ensure the + pole is well protected!
I had the backrest wire end come lose under the drivers seat in my 411, it hit the + pole and within seconds the seat was on fire Shocked
Luckily I could quickly get a bucket of water...

Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

The flexible cutting boards from Walmart are not in store. But can find them at Amazon or Tuesday Morning or Walmart online. An update.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

Deanaha wrote:
The flexible cutting boards from Walmart are not in store. But can find them at Amazon or Tuesday Morning or Walmart online. An update.

Check more than one Walmart. I have the same issue. Some stores stock them and some do not. If not....even plastic supply houses have stocks of sheet goods for polypropylene and either high density polyethylene or UHMW polyethylene (this last one is slightly less flexible). Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Racing Dreamz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

How does the driver's seat lift up to get to battery? Having an issue with this.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Racing Dreamz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Box Reply with quote

Found it. THANKS!!! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: