Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Hello, i am looking to build a stock looking 1776 single port and single carb engine for my split bus. I have a 1300 F lying around here. I don΄t want to have a high speed engine. I just want to be able to flow with the traffic in town and uphill. Budget 1000 to 1500 bucks.

So here is the idea:
1) Bore up the 4 big holes on the case to allow the install of 1776 cylinders and pistons.
2) Bore up the cylinder heads to 98 mm
3) Buy the 1776 piston and cyl. kit with engine gasket kit
4) Reassemble with everything else stock (exhaust, cooling, 30 pict2 carb)

So ist my proect realistic or do i have to do other mods? should i better let it be?
Thanks for your opinion Wink
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Gil-bug wrote:
Hello, i am looking to build a stock looking 1776 single port and single carb engine for my split bus. I have a 1300 F lying around here. I don΄t want to have a high speed engine. I just want to be able to flow with the traffic in town and uphill. Budget 1000 to 1500 bucks.

So here is the idea:
1) Bore up the 4 big holes on the case to allow the install of 1776 cylinders and pistons.

So ist my proect realistic or do i have to do other mods? should i better let it be?
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...……..sounds like you want to keep it simple. it should run just fine . since you have the case apart you should think about new lifters a new cam a engle cheater cam new oil pump and a valve job and new valve springs and rejet the carb with bigger main jets if you have the money to do so . good luck spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Should be fine, make sure to have enough venting in the bus for larger engine, cooling.

Consider updating to a doghouse shroud and cooler. Bigger engines give off more heat.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

If you're re-using those high-mileage heads, change the exhaust valves. Please don't ask me why I'm saying that....

And do what the others said, esp. the 2280 cam, new lifters, and the doghouse....like every project, this is snowballing a little bit, but that's par for the course.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Should be fine, make sure to have enough venting in the bus for larger engine, cooling.

Consider updating to a doghouse shroud and cooler. Bigger engines give off more heat.

There are very few things I say about engines that MUST be done but if you go to a 1776, you MUST upgrade to a doghouse oil cooler, wider fan and shroud. Ask me how I know for sure....

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

With SP heads and a 30 PIC2 I wouldn't go any larger than a 1679cc with 88mm pistons.

A stock carb is not even big enough for a stock engine. You will get far better results leaving it a 1600 and adding dual carbs.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

cut of the carb flange from the single port manifold and weld on one from a dual port.

Run a 34 pict 3 and it'll be fine.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
cut of the carb flange from the single port manifold and weld on one from a dual port.

Run a 34 pict 3 and it'll be fine.

Or SP end castings with a DP center section. Dont use normal DP manifold boots and use radiator hose to seal it. Or just do a 1600 with a 30pict

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

The 1300 F has tiny oil passages, and a tiny oil pick up tube,

i would at least go and look for a AB case

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Gil-bug wrote:

So here is the idea:

Hello.
-Worth it or not
depends on the eyes looing at it. The engine will get a behaviure like 30hp (36us) You will get maybe 55hp out of it at about 3300rpm and it will fall on its face very soon after that. It will pull decent torque in the idle to 2600ish rpm. Nothing fancy.
So you decide if it is worth it.
If you ask me, I would say no.

I am currently building a 1776 sgl port on a sgl relief case, for a bus that has to look just about stock. Everything from enlarging the oil galley to seriusly rework 1600 bus heads, different cam, dual port intake w modified empi end castings and a gutted stock exhaust. Its a comprehensive job to achieve a solid 70hp and approx 140nm torque.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Gil-bug wrote:

So here is the idea:

Hello.
-Worth it or not
depends on the eyes looing at it. The engine will get a behaviure like 30hp (36us) You will get maybe 55hp out of it at about 3300rpm and it will fall on its face very soon after that. It will pull decent torque in the idle to 2600ish rpm. Nothing fancy.
So you decide if it is worth it.
If you ask me, I would say no.

I am currently building a 1776 sgl port on a sgl relief case, for a bus that has to look just about stock. Everything from enlarging the oil galley to seriusly rework 1600 bus heads, different cam, dual port intake w modified empi end castings and a gutted stock exhaust. Its a comprehensive job to achieve a solid 70hp and approx 140nm torque.

How much do those extra 15hp cost?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

On top of a stock 1600 rebuild, something like € 1300 extra. But they do run very nice.
I have converted some 2 liter Limbach sgl port engines too. That΄s an even bigger job to make them run well and make power The best of them typically end up around 85 - 90 hp and 165 Nm torque, with a slightly rough, but steady idle.
I have built one milder version that runs as smooth as a stock sgl port, but still pulls 80 hp and 155 Nm torque. Completely stock look apart from the more "modern" intake manifold.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300F to 1776 single port budget build? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

If you’re asking me, I say no, it’s not worth it.
If it needs rebuilding then just rebuild it stock and enjoy the original character.

If you really want more power, then save some more money. There is much more to buy than some jugs, machine work and bearings.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: