Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums??
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

I just purchased a tubular chassie mid engine car that has Porsche brake drums all around. I was surprised that a stock 15" beetle rim will not fit over the drum?? You have to flip them around to get them to bolt on?? Does anyone know what rims or wheels fit these drums? Calpart rims? Empi? Rader?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mcdoc2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

I believe the pre-a porsche 356 had 16 inch rims which could explain why the 15 inch rims dont fit. I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I worked with pre a brakes but that's what they look like from your photo. Hopefully someone here with more information will speak up.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

What is outer diameter of drum?
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

Early VW had 16" rims too. Perhaps a 1/4" or more wheels spacer would allow use of 15" wheels.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and comments!

I found out these are older Porsche 356 brake drums (Pre A) on the front and rear. I have found that the larger split beetle or Porsche 16" rims do fit? So I will use a set of replica 356 Porsche 16" rims. Now I am scouting for the fake knockoffs cone with spinner that bolts on the wide 5 bolt pattern. Want the vintage racing look.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

RSK replica?

Saw a real one at Road Atlanta 20 years ago when we were passing though and stopped at the Mitty for a few hours
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

https://roadscholars.com/wheels-of-fortune-an-overview-of-rare-early-porsche-road-rims/

bnc
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

Ok, I am back on this subject again. The Porsche brake drums on my car are 12 1/2" in diameter. These are earlier Pre A aluminum drums but not the carerra ones. A normal VW wide 5 rim is 12" across the inside back where it bolts to the brake drum? That is why 15" VW rims and some wheels do not fit on this car?? The replica 16" Porsche rims would fit, but they are only 3.25" wide?? and the replica rims have a nasty seam weld where they put them together that I didn't like. I guess it could be ground off to make nice??

Ideas? Are any of the older aftermarket rims like raders? or Cal part, or Crestline rims wider on the backs?? Trying to find some cool wheels for this car.

alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

As far as I know the stock later 356 wheel 4.5x15 should fit. I ran those on my '53 356 for years and I believe that car had the same drums as yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

I don't have a 15" x 4" VW 5 lug wheel to test fit, but here is a Porsche 15" x 4 1/2" Lemmerz wheel on a Porsche A & B drum. They both fit, of course. Diameter of each drum is approximately 12 1/2". Not sure if this helps, but I think the VW 15" x 4" is your problem. Mostly an offset issue that doesn't allow the outer edge to clear the drum.

You don't need to use an early 16" Porsche wheel. A set of 15" 5 lug Porsche wheels should solve your problem and are wider then the VW 5 lug. In a pinch, you could use Mangel 15" x 4.5" 5 lugs, but wouldn't recommend. They are not true and require a lot of weight to get balanced. You could use the aftermarket aluminum 5 lug wheels. I have't had experience with them, but they might be a better wheel. https://sierramadrecollection.com/356B-60-63-/Whee...54684.html

Those Porsche drums are crappy anyways, I can take them off your hands for cheap Laughing Good luck!

B & A Drums

Porsche 15" x 4 1/2" wheel

B Drum

A Drum

A Drum & 15" x 4 1/2" wheel

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

Would that be a 6-cylinder aircooled Corvair engine?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

Yes with a 4 barrel carb conversion it seems.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW wheels that fit over Porsche aluminum brake drums?? Reply with quote

Yes, 6 cylinder corvair mid engine car. That is how it was built by Fiberfab. The 4 single barrels were swapped for a 4 barrel to keep it simple but I like the way the 4 singles look? Porsche trans and brakes. Someday the 4 carbs may go back on.

Thanks for the wheel info. I was really struggling to figure this out. My experience with Porsche brakes is almost nothing. I knew 16" split beetle rims would fit or barndoor but I didn't want to go that route. mangles were next? A good deal of 4 4.5 x 15 Porsche rims will fit the bill. Anyone have any of these fake knockoff sets to sell?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: