Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? *CONCLUSION* Reply with quote

Mathew Zelezen wrote:
I
All that was left to do was paint it with some Monstaliner.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm curious why you painted it; the old paint looked perfect (or was it not?).
Was it for the durability of the Monstaliner while off-roading or just a color change was preferred?
The monstaliner in that color does look really, really great!
Love the wolf decal too.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

where do I find one of these, they look like they can be very handy at times..
Laughing
BTW major KUDOS and GREAT JOB
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Yeah, it was not what we had planned but we try to roll with life and stay positive.

Vanagonjr- Its hard to see in the "Before Monstaliner' pic but I did have some of the seams redone prior to the paint as a preventative measure.

And yes! I'm a lucky guy to have a girlfriend that enjoys the Vanagon life and tolerates my addiction.
She's learning to drive it now.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Great job getting back in the game. Your original story was heartbreaking. Just glad no one was hurt and happy to see you bringing life to an otherwise, lifeless syncro. Hope you two get to enjoy some fun trips this coming season.
telluridekhh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

I’m soooo sorry to hear about Lars...
Unfortunately I’m going thru the same thing with Gracie right now.
I hit a rock driving down valley just upstream of Sawpit and rolled her recently.
I’m ok. Recovering from some whiplash.
A lot more went right than wrong with the accident.

I had just put a new 2.2 GW VW engine, new EFI, new stainless exhaust and new clutch into her.

The insurance companies offer didn’t even cover the cost of all the parts. I provided them with all the info.

But reading this thread and your experiences gives me good advice, reinforcing what steps I’m already taking, and perhaps a franken van is in my future as well.

If you are up for it I’d love to communicate more directly.

Thanks Matt!!
You are actually the one a long time ago who turned me into the Samba as a resource !

Best-
Kristen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Yikes, K

Post some pictures of you are inclined. Cars can always be fixed
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Hey Kristen!
It's been a long time my friend! I am so sorry to hear that you're going thru this too but really glad that you're healthy and not hurt. Sorry about Gracie. I know how frustrating and depressing this whole process can be.
All of the advice I was given here was very helpful!
With hindsight I would suggest the following:

1. Don't post anything online until the insurance company has settled. You don't want anyone's innocent comments to corrupt your case. Private message me or any of the other members here for help.
2. Prepare for it to take a lot longer than you thought. My situation was different and involved 3 insurance companies but it still took 8 months.
3. You might want to involve GoWesty since you bought their engine and look into their Opinion of Value Report. Also, look for other vans for sale that matched Gracie to show the insurance company what is considered a fair price.
4. And don't take the first offer even though you will be sick and tired of dealing with them.

I don't know how Gracie looks.. and Abscate is right when he says cars can be fixed it just depends on how much you're willing to spend versus can you swap your good parts into another vehicle.

This is a dark time for you but this community is awesome and here to help and you're welcome to PM me any time about your concerns.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: