Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time to get hosed!
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elise111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Time to get hosed! Reply with quote

Edit- changed the zig zag hose to the aux water pump at the bottom of this list to a better fitting hose.

Starting a thread for hose interchange for the 24V VR6 models, for the pop tops with manual heat control. While many of the factory hoses are still available, several are no longer available.

I have the trans out for rebuild, and did the timing chains while I was in there (and from the broken teeth on the intermediate sprocket at 106k miles, this turned out to be a good idea) it seemed a good time to address the hoses. They are EPDM material and still look great, but they are coming on 20 years old, and VW seems to be eliminating parts over time.

Comments- I've had good results with the Lisle 17100 hose clamp pliers- these ratchet closed and lock, making life better than plain pliers. For the hoses, I've been using Gates hoses- their catalog helpfully specs the inner diameter and has a pic, and they are also EPDM material. The hoses in this note are the right diameter and thickness. I tried going to Napa (Gates) and Pep Boys (Dayco) to find better matches by looking at all their hoses, but didn't have better luck than just scanning the Gates crude catalog.

If anyone has other solutions, please share!

7D0122073H Heater core to trans cooler to heater valve- no longer available (NLA) at the dealer, seems Europarts-SD is the last place to get this.

022121058A Engine oil cooler to block- also NLA, but available from Volkswagen Classic Parts Germany for a fortune, and they don't seem to ship to the USA. Some companies do a quarterly group buy from the US (1st VW Parts). I had some EU connections and my hose is eventually coming to the US.

7D0122157H Heater core to rear heater to EGR valve- so far looking like Gates 19746- not perfect, but looks like it can work. I've tried several others without success to get close to the original curvature.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

7D0122157K Hose connecting EGR valve to above hose- Gates 19684 looks good.

7D0122073K Hose from expansion tank to aux water pump to thermostat- Gates 12025 for the 90 deg combo hose with two different diameters, Gates 19038 for the small diameter expansion tank hose, Gates 19722 19739 for the zig zag hose to the aux pump.

Last edited by elise111 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get hosed! Reply with quote

elise111 wrote:
Starting a thread for hose interchange for the 24V VR6 models, for the pop tops with manual heat control. While many of the factory hoses are still available, several are no longer available.

I have the trans out for rebuild, and did the timing chains while I was in there (and from the broken teeth on the intermediate sprocket at 106k miles, this turned out to be a good idea) it seemed a good time to address the hoses. They are EPDM material and still look great, but they are coming on 20 years old, and VW seems to be eliminating parts over time.

Comments- I've had good results with the Lisle 17100 hose clamp pliers- these ratchet closed and lock, making life better than plain pliers. For the hoses, I've been using Gates hoses- their catalog helpfully specs the inner diameter and has a pic, and they are also EPDM material. The hoses in this note are the right diameter and thickness. I tried going to Napa (Gates) and Pep Boys (Dayco) to find better matches by looking at all their hoses, but didn't have better luck than just scanning the Gates crude catalog.

If anyone has other solutions, please share!

7D0122073H Heater core to trans cooler to heater valve- no longer available (NLA) at the dealer, seems Europarts-SD is the last place to get this.

022121058A Engine oil cooler to block- also NLA, but available from Volkswagen Classic Parts Germany for a fortune, and they don't seem to ship to the USA. Some companies do a quarterly group buy from the US (1st VW Parts). I had some EU connections and my hose is eventually coming to the US.

7D0122157H Heater core to rear heater to EGR valve- so far looking like Gates 19746- not perfect, but looks like it can work. I've tried several others without success to get close to the original curvature.

7D0122157K Hose connecting EGR valve to above hose- Gates 19684 looks good.

7D0122073K Hose from expansion tank to aux water pump to thermostat- Gates 12025 for the 90 deg combo hose with two different diameters, Gates 19038 for the small diameter expansion tank hose, Gates 19722 for the zig zag hose to the aux pump.

Thanks for the detailed info and pics! When I got back into VW campers it never crossed my mind that so many parts would be NLA. Love the competence and versatility of the platform, but did not expect the NLA's.

For rubber and plastic, to promote longevity, my practice for many years has been to spray Aerospace 303 heavily. Rubber and plastic loves 303, soaks it in like a sponge. Hoses, CV boots, door and window seals, underhood, chassis, LP hoses, everything.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get hosed! Reply with quote

And keep away from those cheap Pos drugstore hose clamps. I am lean8ng to throwing anyone who uses those into the lake after their tools.

An Oetiker Plier works great on those VW clamps I’ve found
newtonkq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get hosed! Reply with quote

I just had one of those hoses (022-121-058A) fail. Any tips for how I can find a replacement? I've searched high and low, and have struck out (including learnig that volkswagen-classic-parts.de won't ship to me in the US).

This is the part:
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2002_EuroVan-MV-...1058A.html

any help greatly appreciated.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get hosed! Reply with quote

newtonkq wrote:
I just had one of those hoses (022-121-058A) fail. Any tips for how I can find a replacement? I've searched high and low, and have struck out (including learnig that volkswagen-classic-parts.de won't ship to me in the US).

This is the part:
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2002_EuroVan-MV-...1058A.html

any help greatly appreciated.

Come back from EU quarterly, if you can stand the wait.
newtonkq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get hosed! Reply with quote

thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, unless you'd be bringing something in the next week or so, I'll have to pass, as my van is dead until I find a replacement part.
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get hosed! Reply with quote

I’ve never ordered from them but they have some good variety if you search Volkswagen. [url] https://turbo-hose.com/index.php?route=common/home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: