Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Outlaw Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Hi Big E

Well, I do run as well the steffi G manifolds on a WW okrasa engine, and needed to modify the cylinder tins as well. I also would advice to flow the manifolds, as they will not match your cylinder head inlet port fully. Also do the same for the 'inlet' of the manifold where it matches the bottom of the carb. I do run 38NDIX on my engine with the same air filters, and they do fit even better then the Solex ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

By the way, which linkage are you going to use for the NDIX?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:
Nice to hear your updates! Do you have some photos of the before/after of the front camber?

About caster shims, I've installed them in my oval with my adjustable beam, and the car feels a lot more stable in "high speeds". I've reached 150/160 km/h once and it didn't did nothing strange, went straight with no issues. The steering feels a bit stiffer but nothing crazy, I can enjoy the car in mountain driving.

I will post a before and after once I get the front height set.

Regarding the caster shims, we will see if they are needed after some driving. If so, we will add.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

JeeWee wrote:
Hi Big E

Well, I do run as well the steffi G manifolds on a WW okrasa engine, and needed to modify the cylinder tins as well. I also would advice to flow the manifolds, as they will not match your cylinder head inlet port fully. Also do the same for the 'inlet' of the manifold where it matches the bottom of the carb. I do run 38NDIX on my engine with the same air filters, and they do fit even better then the Solex ones.

By the way, which linkage are you going to use for the NDIX?

Thank you JeeWee! I have not compared the 2 yet, but I will take a look.

As far as linkage, I have a custom setup using Porsche linkage on a VW 36hp fan shroud. Originally set up for my Solex 40's, but should work perfect for the Zenith carbs. I'll be using stock Porsche Zenith hard fuel lines and rebuilt Porsche fuel pump by Ed Fall. Oil canister will be relocated using Porsche hardware.

In the end, it will look more like an early modified Porsche engine....and cost about the same Rolling Eyes

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

amazing build. as I went thru the pages ,countless wows were said outloud. lol really fun checkin this build out .
vwchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

I've skimmed through the thread again, but don't see any mention of where you bought the tires. I've looked online an not a lot of places seem to carry them. I'm looking to buy some for my 63 Beetle soon. Same size you've got here. Going on 4.5" rims as well (at your recommendation, so thank you).

Cheers,
Chad
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

vwchad wrote:
I've skimmed through the thread again, but don't see any mention of where you bought the tires. I've looked online an not a lot of places seem to carry them. I'm looking to buy some for my 63 Beetle soon. Same size you've got here. Going on 4.5" rims as well (at your recommendation, so thank you).

Cheers,
Chad

Chad, Here is a link to a seller in the U.S. It's the best price I could find, not a lot of options out there.

Lucas Classic Tires: https://www.lucasclassictires.com/185-70VR15-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-CN36-p1857015n4.htm

Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Latest update.....

Suspension:
I installed the stock spindles with negative camber setup. Installation was straight forward. I did an OK wheel alignment and did some test drives. Honestly, I didn't think there was a big enough difference in handling to justify the modification for the street. Based on this and the possible tire wear, I've decided to replace them with another set of stock spindles (no negative camber). Max handles pretty good, so I think I'll leave it as the factory intended, in regards to camber. The stock spindles with a mild height adjustment is a much better setup for the larger tires. I have plenty of height adjustment now, something I didn't have with the dropped spindles. This was the original reason to change to stock spindles anyway, not a waste of time in the end.

Engine Upgrade 2.0 - "1200 SUPER":
I pulled the engine a few weeks back. I've been working on getting it mocked up with the dual Zenith 32 NDIX carbs using Stephan's manifolds. The manifolds are matched up pretty well with the 32's and head, so I've left them as is. They are a tight fit in regards to mounting nuts, so head studs needed to be shortened. They fit nicely in the same cylinder tins previously modified for Okrasa manifolds. 36hp fan shroud was modified by Franz at KCW awhile back. Fit is perfect and added Porsche bell-crank linkage is just right. I had the carb hardware zinc plated along with bell-crank linkage and hard fuel lines. Carbs were lightly used and were pulled from a running 356. I still ended up tearing them down and cleaning them in an ultrasonic bath, just to be sure. Porsche fuel pump was rebuild by Ed Fall and is ready to go. I'm waiting on a few small pieces to finish the mock-up. Last big thing is to shorten oil lines for by-pass oil filter. Oil canister in Porsche mount and lower position on shroud needs a shorter line vs the Okrasa high mounting position. I've ordered Porsche replacement oil lines to see if they are compatible with the Flat 4 hardware. If they are not, I have a plan B.

After this, the guys at Monkey Nut VW will test run and tune on stand. I have an assortment of jets and chokes to get it right. Once dialed in, I'll tear it down again, and get a few things powder coated and freshened up.

I'm really happy so far with how the mash-up of Porsche parts are coming together. The "1200 SUPER" looks factory.

A teaser shot...

Stay tuned.

vwchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
vwchad wrote:

Cheers,
Chad

Chad, Here is a link to a seller in the U.S. It's the best price I could find, not a lot of options out there.

Lucas Classic Tires: https://www.lucasclassictires.com/185-70VR15-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-CN36-p1857015n4.htm

Thank you sir!
vwchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

The engine is looking great. I really like what you've done with it. I 'm curious though, I'm not super familiar with 36hp stuff so can you explain why you've swapped to the Porsche fuel pump? Is there a performance benefit like higher flow rate, more appropriate fuel pressure, or is it just for the look?

Thanks,
Chad
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

vwchad wrote:
The engine is looking great. I really like what you've done with it. I 'm curious though, I'm not super familiar with 36hp stuff so can you explain why you've swapped to the Porsche fuel pump? Is there a performance benefit like higher flow rate, more appropriate fuel pressure, or is it just for the look?

Thanks,
Chad

The Porsche fuel pump has a little more psi over the previous 36hp fuel pump I was using. It just made sense to change out the remaining fuel delivery parts (pump & hard lines) to Porsche spec to match the Zenith carbs. Everything bolted up with very little modification.

Last edited by Big_E_Deluxe on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

The Porsche fuel pump has a little more psi over the previous 36hp fuel pump I was using.

That they do... I first tried a Porsche pump with the WW Okrasa carbs. They were overwhelmed...had to go back to stock.

The Porsche pump seems appropriate for your application. Nice work.

Martin

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

mkbug wrote:
The Porsche fuel pump has a little more psi over the previous 36hp fuel pump I was using.

That they do... I first tried a Porsche pump with the WW Okrasa carbs. They were overwhelmed...had to go back to stock.

The Porsche pump seems appropriate for your application. Nice work.

Martin

Martin, the previous 36hp pump I was using (also rebuilt by Ed Fall) had a 356 spring giving it approximately 2.3 to 2.5 psi. This rebuilt 356 pump was rated at 2.5 to 2.7 psi, should work nicely as it was designed to pair up with these carbs.

Btw, love your vintage speed oval, especially the deck lid. I wanted to have some larger louvers done like that, but decided on the convertible deck lid instead.......and jealous you had a chance to attend and participate in last years Petermax Müller Rennen with Ray Schubert! All the great vintage speed cars were there. Would love to check it out next time.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Looking good, Erik.

The 356 fuel pump works well with the hot-rod 36'er.

Digging the oil filler. Who adapted that to the 36 case for you?
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Looking good, Erik.

The 356 fuel pump works well with the hot-rod 36'er.

Digging the oil filler. Who adapted that to the 36 case for you?

Hey Pete, I bought a small adapter from Shin at HotVW's. He mentioned it on his Facebook page awhile back. Works as intended with no leaks so far. I will be powder coating mine black.

vwchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Ok, makes sense to change the pump to match the rest of the modifications. Thanks for the explanation. Learn something new every day.
Orby1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Hello Erik, I'm a rare guest to thesamba & hadn't seen this thread, so I've just enjoyed a whole hour or so reading the whole thing! Laughing It was great to see more detail in what you've done and why you've done it, on top of the snippets I see on Instagram. I love your attention to detail, and your openness in sharing what you've learned.
I too am going to stock spindles with 2" narrowed adjustable beam - hopefully in the next couple of weeks, however my brakes are definitely non-vintage CSP discs Embarassed .
Well done with this thread, and as I've said many times - well done with Max, it's a beauty. Applause Applause
JKBagley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

I really like the VW/Porsche fusion. This is a fascinating look at what might have happened back in the day. Please keep it coming. Your content is fantastic, and some of the comments added some cool insights, too. Great thread...
vwchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Now that we're all stuck at home I've had a lot of time to work in the garage, so that's the silver lining to this whole quarantine thing. I've put a fair bit of work into my '63 Beetle and have finally moved on to the wheel/tire upgrade I have been hoping to do for so long. The 20 year old EMPI 5 spokes with 145s up front and 165s in rear are now gone. They've been replaced with a set of 4.5" wide Vintage 190 wheels in silver with Pirelli Centurato CN36 185/70 15 tires. I went with this combination of 4.5" wheels and the 185s after reading this thread and at Eric's recommendation of sticking with the 4.5" wheel. I have to say, bravo sir. The look and fit of these tires on those wheels is absolute perfection. Exactly what I've wanted.

Eric has discussed the fitment of these tires on Max in great detail. My particular front end combination is a little different however, so I thought some may appreciate my findings. My car is FAR from what I'd call "Vintage Speed". I'd say it's more vintage speed inspired at this point, so forgive my deviation from the hot rodded 36 and 40hp engines and drum brakes that usually occupy this part of the forum...

My front end consists of a 3"narrowed, adjustable beam with 2" taller shock towers (allows you to used stock length shocks even when the beam is turned down to lower the car), CB Performance 2.5" dropped spindles, and CB disc brakes. I had previously been running EMPI 5 spoke wheels with 145 tires up front with my beam adjusted as far up as I could get it. My limit was my shock extension due to the taller shock towers on my beam. I rubbed slightly on the drivers side when turning right, due to a less than perfect fender (didn't discover this until AFTER paint....). With no changes to the front suspension, I bolted on my new Vintage 190 wheels with the Pirelli tires. I rub no worse (probably even less) than I did with the 145s. I'm sure this is due to the backspacing differences between the wheels, though I haven't measured them to see what that actually is.

I'm still at my max for ride height with the current set up, so I plan to install stock height spindles. I can report on that once done if anyone cares to know the results. I thought some of you may find it interesting as there has been so much discussion on the exact set up on Max and as we aren't all running the same set up on all of our cars, an additional bit of info may be useful to anyone considering something similar.

Now, back to Eric and his continuing work on Max and his excellent write ups of the work!
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

vwchad wrote:
Now that we're all stuck at home I've had a lot of time to work in the garage, so that's the silver lining to this whole quarantine thing. I've put a fair bit of work into my '63 Beetle and have finally moved on to the wheel/tire upgrade I have been hoping to do for so long. The 20 year old EMPI 5 spokes with 145s up front and 165s in rear are now gone. They've been replaced with a set of 4.5" wide Vintage 190 wheels in silver with Pirelli Centurato CN36 185/70 15 tires. I went with this combination of 4.5" wheels and the 185s after reading this thread and at Eric's recommendation of sticking with the 4.5" wheel. I have to say, bravo sir. The look and fit of these tires on those wheels is absolute perfection. Exactly what I've wanted.

Eric has discussed the fitment of these tires on Max in great detail. My particular front end combination is a little different however, so I thought some may appreciate my findings. My car is FAR from what I'd call "Vintage Speed". I'd say it's more vintage speed inspired at this point, so forgive my deviation from the hot rodded 36 and 40hp engines and drum brakes that usually occupy this part of the forum...

My front end consists of a 3"narrowed, adjustable beam with 2" taller shock towers (allows you to used stock length shocks even when the beam is turned down to lower the car), CB Performance 2.5" dropped spindles, and CB disc brakes. I had previously been running EMPI 5 spoke wheels with 145 tires up front with my beam adjusted as far up as I could get it. My limit was my shock extension due to the taller shock towers on my beam. I rubbed slightly on the drivers side when turning right, due to a less than perfect fender (didn't discover this until AFTER paint....). With no changes to the front suspension, I bolted on my new Vintage 190 wheels with the Pirelli tires. I rub no worse (probably even less) than I did with the 145s. I'm sure this is due to the backspacing differences between the wheels, though I haven't measured them to see what that actually is.

I'm still at my max for ride height with the current set up, so I plan to install stock height spindles. I can report on that once done if anyone cares to know the results. I thought some of you may find it interesting as there has been so much discussion on the exact set up on Max and as we aren't all running the same set up on all of our cars, an additional bit of info may be useful to anyone considering something similar.

Now, back to Eric and his continuing work on Max and his excellent write ups of the work!

Awesome, good to hear! The stock spindles will give you more adjustment to work with. Nothing against dropped spindles they work excellent, just not for this setup. I noticed an immediate improvement to handling with larger tire up front. Lots of grip. Post up a picture once you get it dialed in.

vwchad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Outlaw Beetle Build Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
vwchad wrote:

Awesome, good to hear! The stock spindles will give you more adjustment to work with. Nothing against dropped spindles they work excellent, just not for this setup. I noticed an immediate improvement to handling with larger tire up front. Lots of grip. Post up a picture once you get it dialed in.

Yes, I want that fine adjustment back in my suspension, so the drop spindles must go. I'll post a picture or two when I get it dialed in. Thanks for all the info and advice on the tire/wheel combination!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: