Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Yes, here is the post from matthias_vwauto
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9279465#9279465
matthias_vwauto wrote:
Last year i've seen that picture while having my skiing holidays. This year i went back and asked the owner of that picture to getting a copy of original picture. I've got it and i've got one more fantastic picture.The grandfather onced owned a very early samba...look at this picture which shows samba with grandfather:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like it Smile
Maybe some one knows this samba and it still exist?

I see A LOT of cool stuff in that photo.

Cargo door panels are different and go all the way up the door
Front bulkhead panel and grab handle look different
Front inside door handles go the opposite direction?
Seats are light-colored
Middle seat legs are really squared off
2 rear reflectors?
No trim rings on the wheels?
It looks like the sunroof might have the extra brackets that are only on the rear screws for later Buses on every mounting screw?

Check out the 2-tone front bumper too but with no chrome trim
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

What kind of single cab is this?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

that is a very early Ford Fk 1000 truck. probably 53-55 with the small taillights. appears to have an Austrian registration. B= Burgenland.
great pics, but unfortunately off topic. Wink

The Deluxe above might as well be another coachbuild. it doesn't have rocker trim nor rear corner trim nor beltline trim. the skylites are taller than stock and the front has a completely different shape alltogether. it appears to have some aluminium trim on the corner windows but none on the skylites. does not have sliding windows on the drivers side, nor the long side panel trim, so most probably not a Kohlruss. The middle seat has custom built legs and the grip handle is coachbuilt as well. It has an Austrian registration. T = Tirol.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
that is a very early Ford Fk 1000 truck. probably 53-55 with the small taillights. appears to have an Austrian registration. B= Burgenland.
great pics, but unfortunately off topic. Wink

The Deluxe above might as well be another coachbuild. it doesn't have rocker trim nor rear corner trim nor beltline trim. the skylites are taller than stock and the front has a completely different shape alltogether. it appears to have some aluminium trim on the corner windows but none on the skylites. does not have sliding windows on the drivers side, nor the long side panel trim, so most probably not a Kohlruss. The middle seat has custom built legs and the grip handle is coachbuilt as well. It has an Austrian registration. T = Tirol.

Well let me try to help you get it on topic Wink . From the back it looked like a VW single cab was used/partially used. That was the only reason I posted it here. Like it was a coach built or maybe a Matador or something. Wink

I thought Ev had an odds and ends - not a bus thread going?

Oh and good call on what it is. Thank you!

Look at the back of the cab? Even has the XX patern.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, here is the post from matthias_vwauto
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9279465#9279465
matthias_vwauto wrote:
Last year i've seen that picture while having my skiing holidays. This year i went back and asked the owner of that picture to getting a copy of original picture. I've got it and i've got one more fantastic picture.The grandfather onced owned a very early samba...look at this picture which shows samba with grandfather:

I like it Smile
Maybe some one knows this samba and it still exist?

I see A LOT of cool stuff in that photo.

Cargo door panels are different and go all the way up the door
Front bulkhead panel and grab handle look different
Front inside door handles go the opposite direction?
Seats are light-colored
Middle seat legs are really squared off
2 rear reflectors?
No trim rings on the wheels?
It looks like the sunroof might have the extra brackets that are only on the rear screws for later Buses on every mounting screw?

Check out the 2-tone front bumper too but with no chrome trim

There are some more strange things in this photo.
No engine vent trims, Or deluxe trim anywhere, 2 tone painted wheels. Something odd about the distance between the drip rail and the top of the rear windows. Looks to have a later barndoor engine lid. The back of the ragtop extends well past the last skylight window. The farthest forward skylight window look rather large.. Was grandpa faking the funk???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

It sounds as if you might not be totally aware of the FK1000 story. which as a matter of fact IS barndoor related! VW Transporter head designer Dr Alfred Haesner left Volkswagen in 1952, ...well you guessed it, only to join Fords German Division in Cologne (=Köln, FK= Ford Köln) and work on Fords new transporter which they introduced with a watercooled 38hp 1.2 ltr Flathead inline 4 cyl in 1953. 2 yrs later they stepped up to a 1.5 inline 4 OHV with 55 hp. so yes one could be inclined to say that the FK 1000 (=1000kg payload) was the better transporter, which it is! it's faster, has more payload, is more rigid, has better visibility and most of all in the vans it has a huge flat cargo area because of the lack of the rear engine. The truck they designed a little different with a second floor low loading area, that could be covered to gain a similar flat platform like on the VW except for the rear corners, which look cool, but are somewhat odd.
It seems reasonable enough that Haesner took a lot of ideas with him and resused them on the Ford, like the beltline f.e. the roof and all of the inner panel structure is very very similar. Maybe he was even able to incorporate the new ideas and tricks like the wraparound windshield, which was probably declined by VW at the time in 1952, when they had just started to gain momentum in tooling and mass production of the barndoor era transporters.
You may have guessed it by now, that I am also a fan of those 'other' transporters. I have 2 of them, one a low milage fire truck owned since 2004. they make great campers and transporters ! Wink
Not to say I don't love my Barndoors any less.... Laughing

notchboy wrote:

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
It sounds as if you might not be totally aware of the FK1000 story. which as a matter of fact IS barndoor related! VW Transporter head designer Dr Alfred Haesner left Volkswagen in 1952, ...well you guessed it, only to join Fords German Division in Cologne (=Köln, FK= Ford Köln) and work on Fords new transporter which they introduced with a watercooled 38hp 1.2 ltr Flathead inline 4 cyl in 1953. 2 yrs later they stepped up to a 1.5 inline 4 OHV with 55 hp. so yes one could be inclined to say that the FK 1000 (=1000kg payload) was the better transporter, which it is! it's faster, has more payload, is more rigid, has better visibility and most of all in the vans it has a huge flat cargo area because of the lack of the rear engine. The truck they designed a little different with a second floor low loading area, that could be covered to gain a similar flat platform like on the VW except for the rear corners, which look cool, but are somewhat odd.
It seems reasonable enough that Haesner took a lot of ideas with him and resused them on the Ford, like the beltline f.e. the roof and all of the inner panel structure is very very similar. Maybe he was even able to incorporate the new ideas and tricks like the wraparound windshield, which was probably declined by VW at the time in 1952, when they had just started to gain momentum in tooling and mass production of the barndoor era transporters.
You may have guessed it by now, that I am also a fan of those 'other' transporters. I have 2 of them, one a low milage fire truck owned since 2004. they make great campers and transporters ! Wink
Not to say I don't love my Barndoors any less.... Laughing

notchboy wrote:

Nope, I had no idea. Thank you again, very interesting information for sure. I never knew these buses were out there and the market share they had at the time. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

So I saw this today in a movie and something is off if it is a VW. Could this be one of your FK1000's?

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

barf. that looks like a late bay bus with really poor digital editing/enhancement (look how short the front door is!!!)

late bay bus example:

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Nope, I had no idea. Thank you again, very interesting information for sure. I never knew these buses were out there and the market share they had at the time. Cool

the FKs are essentially the grandfather of what is now the Ford Transit.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
barf. that looks like a late bay bus with really poor digital editing/enhancement (look how short the front door is!!!)

I think you're right. I thought it was a bay in an earlier scene, but when this scene came up I was wait a second. Someone must have caught the mistake and they fixed it post production. Thanks.

# 303 and #156

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

The new ambulance for a town called Dordrecht in The Netherlands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

late bay bus example:

Could it be the infamous "Baysplit"?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Wink

&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

johnny d wrote:
Wink

anybody know where this is? i know this is close to where i am from in Germany, but i just can't figure it out

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Junkie - Vintage photos Reply with quote

Early VW barndoor panel bus with obvious ride height issues parked opposite a BMW Isetta. Concerned tech on right running with tire pressure gauge to check if there are four flat tires. Bicyclist pointing to problem area. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Jump to:
Page 193 of 285

Jump to: