Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Any local shop worth half a grain of salt could do this. There's nothing to F up worse than it already is. Your current state is what you would screw it up to if it were set correctly. You can only go forward from here.

A quick search returned this local shop which seems fairly decent. He certainly isn't a stranger to 80s German cars since he races an e30.
https://www.jessesgarage.com/
stegosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Any local shop worth half a grain of salt could do this. There's nothing to F up worse than it already is. Your current state is what you would screw it up to if it were set correctly. You can only go forward from here.

A quick search returned this local shop which seems fairly decent. He certainly isn't a stranger to 80s German cars since he races an e30.
https://www.jessesgarage.com/

Jessie's garage? That's the garage that installed the motor and turned it over to me with this problem 2.5 years ago. They just gave up. Months waiting for them to complete an engine install. Crazy experience.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Laughing That's pretty funny.

I'm not sure why they would give up at this point.
stegosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Laughing That's pretty funny.

I'm not sure why they would give up at this point.

But they did. Pretty much said they were done. Couldn't figure out why it didn't run. But come pick it up. Never again. Sarasota Fl. area doesn't have a good Vanagon mechanic that I'm aware of. I think I would have found him by now. There's great air cooled mechanics but not early water. Found some what seem to be good garages in Tampa/St. Pete areas on Roadhaus. Will ck them out soon if I can't wrap this up myself.
stegosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Today I lifted the FPR bracket. I timed three different ways 35°@ 3k/40° 10 cent; 28°@ 3800. All 3 same problem. When I rev it at the throttle body I see that as soon as I give it any gas it just sputters. The TPS doesn't even open yet and it just bugs down. Then when it gets to higher rpms it settles down. Just like when I'm driving. So I'm guessing it's not a timing issue.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by stegosaurus on Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

After re-reading much of this thread, it seems that you've replaced just about everything except the horn.

If it were me at this point, I'd verify that the engine is generating adequate compression. Once that is established you can move on to dialing in the timing. Just because the engine was rebuilt is no guarantee that it was done right. Obtain a compression tester- they can be rented, and test it cold, throttle open.
stegosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
After re-reading much of this thread, it seems that you've replaced just about everything except the horn.

If it were me at this point, I'd verify that the engine is generating adequate compression. Once that is established you can move on to dialing in the timing. Just because the engine was rebuilt is no guarantee that it was done right. Obtain a compression tester- they can be rented, and test it cold, throttle open.

Ok. I'll do that. But I thought a compression test was with a warm engine.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

It's simply easier to work on a cold engine. We are just trying to establish general health.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Yes, it seems like at some point you replaced almost everything - including the AFM.

With what did you replace the AFM? New unit? Rebuilt unit? Used unit?

Hesitation coming off idle can be several things but the AFM is one suspect.

Something I did not understand...

stegosaurus wrote:
...When I rev it at the throttle body I see that as soon as I give it any gas it just sputters. The TPS doesn't even open yet and it just bugs down...

Are you saying that the TPS does not open as soon as you move the throttle?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Right. Check this too. The TPS should be closed at idle and open just as you crack the throttle, then close again at WOT.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

You may do yourself a favor and perform a Leak Down test instead of compression. It will tell you much more than just a number. Being a non-stock build you have no reference point on compression numbers other than relative equality.

J
stegosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Thanks to all who commented but I'm throwing in the towel. Going to send it to another mechanic an hour and a half away on Monday that's supposed to be good. I'll report back if anything is found.
stegosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Update: Sent van to yet another local mechanic and same old story. Said he had it running 95%. 95%???...That the AFM was the culprit. Got there and it ran terrible. He then decided he no longer wanted to work on it. Left me hanging. Had to tow it home. This time I got it back in worse shape than what it left in. Dash wires hanging. Air flow meter disassembled. 02 sensor disconnected. WTF.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Uh, I hope you didn't pay him. Did he do a compression test or a leak down test?
stegosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Update: after getting the van back I got my second wind and started digging into it again. I discovered a damaged spark plug. The top tip was loose and came out of the ceramic body. I change the plugs and it still ran bad. The plugs were also fouled with a dark black dry powder. I unplugged the O2 sensor and it ran much better. I ran it this way for the last week. Within a week the new plugs are fouled with the same black powder. I also pulled the 02 sensor and its fouled too. The exhaust tail pipe is black. I can't imagine what the cat looks like.
I changed the oil today and it smells of gas. Would just unplugging the O2 cause this pig richness? I was told you can run out without the O2 sensor so long as you leaned out the AFM.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Without the 02 sensor, it will run too rich as you have found.
Chris Beebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Great thread, All - thank you.
I just put a rebuilt 2.1l in my '84 Westy, and redoing the wiring harness as well, keeping all as Digijet so I don't have to change my ECU. The dizzy is suspect, and I want to replace it with the most modern dizzy available that still plays nice with my Digijet ECU. Suggestions? TIA
'76 Lancia Beta Coupe (sold)
'73 MG Midget
'19 VW Alltrack
'89 F250 Rescue Rig Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

Chris Beebe wrote:
Great thread, All - thank you.
I just put a rebuilt 2.1l in my '84 Westy, and redoing the wiring harness as well, keeping all as Digijet so I don't have to change my ECU. The dizzy is suspect, and I want to replace it with the most modern dizzy available that still plays nice with my Digijet ECU. Suggestions? TIA

Just have your present Digijet dizzy rebuilt by someone who knows and understands these units. You can find threads in the Late Beetle Forum where people and gone to all electronic distributors, lot of work figuring out cam and crank sensors if someone hasn't written up a how to.
Chris Beebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

OK, thanks Wildthing!
'76 Lancia Beta Coupe (sold)
'73 MG Midget
'19 VW Alltrack
'89 F250 Rescue Rig Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Timing a rebuilt 2.1 using digijet Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Without the 02 sensor, it will run too rich as you have found.

This is absolutely wrong. If the ECU does not find an O2 sensor on boot up, it just works from a predetermined map, just like every other Bosch L- jet from 1974 til they got O2 sensors.
OP's later problems were at least partly from running too rich. Disconnecting O2 is the very first thing one needs to do.
I wonder if he got things resolved?
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: