Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfavia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

A few months ago I was able to buy a Boston Bob 2.1 motor. The motor had 0 hours, and the heads machined out for more power. I am finally in position to put the new motor in my 1990 Vanagon. Before I do, I wanted to see if anyone had some advise, or Do's and Don'ts before I trying turning it over. As well as any recommendation on gas grade, oil, filters, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

1st , where did you get a Boston Bob engine? he's passed away years ago.

2nd use Mann oil filters, get a zinc additive for the first oil , use Rotella oil for the initial runs ( short runs , with oil changes between each)

replace / new coolant renew coolant system ie radiator thermo etc.

adjust the valves cold follow bentlys turn them 1 1/2 turns after adjuster just touches the v- stem

for the first crank . pull the coil wire , crank to build some oil pressure. fill the oil filter 1/2 way before you install it.

if I remember Boston bob had a procedure that came with the engine, may still have mine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

Thats quite a find. A collector item by all standards vanagon.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

Any new engine, I like to see oil pressure prior to the first start. There are a couple ways to do this with a pancake engine. If you search the Google, you'll find pressure pots that let you fill the engine with oil through an oil pressure port. This ensures, the galleys are full and the bearing surfaces get some oil prior to starting. Thats probably not practical for a DIY person to invest in.

So, with the sparkplugs removed and the coil and fuel pump disabled. Crank the engine in short segments say 10 seconds until the oil warning light goes out. This takes any loads off the crankshaft bearings while you get pressure. Once the engine has oil pressure, you are ready to fire it up. Be ready to get it up to 2000 rpm or so for 20 mins. This will give the camshaft and lifters time to bed in. That means to have the cooling system full and bled if possible and your timing light in hand.

The engine if assembled by a reputable builder should have assembly lube on all the bearings and moving parts. It acts as a lubricant during assembly as well as on first start up. Once you've run it to temp shut it down, look for leaks drips etc.

You are now ready to break it in on the road. Aggressive acceleration and deceleration are best. After a 1000 miles change the oil and filter and you are good to go. Avoid constant rpm like on the highway during the break in period. Break in is a confusing term to some. You are only seating the piston rings to the cylinders. You are not "clearancing" any rotating parts.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

I think Bob recommended two rev ups/ oil changes ( new filter. zinc it again. rotella? oil) break ins . then fresh oil for the road Arrow first 500? then a change for 3000-5000k , and valve adj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

For any engine that has been sitting for years... put a scope in all the spark plug holes to check for corrosion on the cylinder walls. Also take a peek at the cam if you can through the oil drain plug hole. If there are any signs of dry storage or corrosion you need to pull it apart and clean everything up before attempting to start. If all is well, then you do the same as any other engine. 20 minute cam break-in... then run it like you stole it.

J
jfavia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

I found the engine in MD from an awesome guy who had it rebuilt by Boston Bob 12 years ago (he gave the the BOS). He got the rebuild done anticipating his, then running motor, was going to die. Long story short, his original motor lived long past he expected and he never got around to doing the swap.

He kept the motor in his temp controlled garage in amazing condition. The owner was in the heavy equipment industry, so he knew his stuff.

I have the directions from Bob in regards to the start up process. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any helpful hints. Bob didn't go into detail about the type of oil, coolant, filters, grade of gas, etc that he recommended.

Thanks everyone.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

That's pretty darn cool. I hope it works well for you!
Some people call him Maurice...
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

jfavia wrote:
I found the engine in MD from an awesome guy who had it rebuilt by Boston Bob 12 years ago (he gave the the BOS). He got the rebuild done anticipating his, then running motor, was going to die. Long story short, his original motor lived long past he expected and he never got around to doing the swap.

He kept the motor in his temp controlled garage in amazing condition. The owner was in the heavy equipment industry, so he knew his stuff.

I have the directions from Bob in regards to the start up process. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any helpful hints. Bob didn't go into detail about the type of oil, coolant, filters, grade of gas, etc that he recommended.

Thanks everyone.

Regardless, turning that over without scoping it is asking for trouble. I have seen engines sitting in "good" shops that have rust hair growing from the crank, rods and cam. YMMV.

J
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

I live in MD and the humidity will have gotten into the cylinders with an open valve and unless the cylinders were fogged well and the engine rotated by hand every few weeks you likely have corrosion in there. Good advice to use a borescope before trying to start it. I hope all goes well.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jfavia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

pulled the plugs, no corrosion
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

jfavia wrote:
pulled the plugs, no corrosion

Awesome!

The Western Syncro build
2wdvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, where did you get a Boston Bob motor with zero miles?
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

2wdvanagon wrote:
Just out of curiosity, where did you get a Boston Bob motor with zero miles?

Six posts up... Wink
Some people call him Maurice...
2wdvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

jfavia wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Sorry, just read this. Lucky you!
jfavia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

So I just picked up a bunch of items I need to get the van running... gear oil, transmission oil, coolant, etc.

I read in Bob's directions that I MUST use non-synthetic oil, and the owners manual says API SF or SG. That said, it's almost impossible to find a 10/30 oil that shows API of SF or SG. I am being told that SF and SG has been taken over by other ratings over the years. The only oils that still show the SF SG are ones used for 4 stroke dirt bike motors.

Is it OK to go with a 10/30 standard oil?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

may be using break-in oil?... such as these

https://www.royalpurple.com/product/engine-break-in-oil/
https://lucasoil.com/products/engine-builder-lubricants/high-zinc-engine-break-in-oil
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

I would not use the owners manual for this oil. Use what BB said. You are only using this oil during the break in, not long term. I have used the generic napa non synthetic oil just fine.

The Western Syncro build
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

This rocks. I have a BB and love it.

Congrats!
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for starting a Boston Bob rebuilt 2.1 Reply with quote

Joe has a friend that has a good CL eye for Vanagon things and saw the BB engine and joe pounced Wink. Motors in. Almost GO TIME
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: