Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Concur, I remember my '79 having the same thing and I think my '81 Vanagon Westy too.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

I think the rear bedding material has been replaced.

It's possible that the seat was up and that material faded, leaving the back part less faded.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

It's possible that the seat was up and that material faded, leaving the back part less faded.

Yes, but just like the front seats, the various tartan stripes don't line up like they should on a proper German upholstery job. Smile
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

The bottoms of the curtains next to the sliding door are frayed.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Globespotter wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Yes, but just like the front seats, the various tartan stripes don't line up like they should on a proper German upholstery job. Smile
Robbie

??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

See how the colors in the plaid line up?

The brown plaid on the bed and front seats seems to have dark and light grey striping in it, which are not lined up with wider brown stripes. Concerning for a car commanding that price.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

2 more comps and it is real, otherwise it is a straw man deal. That said, someone here who wishes to remain anonymous with a really clean fully restored Westphalia was offered $50K cash a couple years ago but he didn't sell because when he added up his receipts it would have cost him $65K to replace it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
See how the colors in the plaid line up?

The brown plaid on the bed and front seats seems to have dark and light grey striping in it, which are not lined up with wider brown stripes. Concerning for a car commanding that price.

Robbie

This orientation is wrong. The front seat black lines on Westfalia produced stuff goes left to right, the buddy seat black stripes go front to back. This green pic you took is wrong. The seats were done wrong.

Im not sure I see the gray in the rear seat? It would get the sun for sure and is maybe faded/bad pic? But the rear cushion and the two back seat cushion orientation is all good. Look at the pics I posted above - its of the brochure and of this bus. All matches.

What does not match is the buddy seat found in this OG bus - its aftermarket. The black striping is wrong.

OG Westfalia

Them - aftermarket or wrong recover. Who ever makes the repop buddy boxes either does it wrong or intentional.

Repop ad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2133533

Correct orientation.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Interesting. Not my pic, just a gallery find. Most of the buses I see on the road are like that.

Robbie
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Interesting. Not my pic, just a gallery find. Most of the buses I see on the road are like that.

Robbie

Then they are people doing their own uphostry Id think? All the after market peeps pay attention to this detail except the buddy seat guy. =that I know of= Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I get it. This messes with your minds eye. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I get it. This messes with your minds eye. Laughing
[img]

It looks so, so wrong…… Shocked
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Great!
Now ever busted nose, typical rotten battery tray, rocker rust, and missing engine bus is going to be starting at $10k...

Old Man: “Well I saw one not much better than mine goes for BIG MONEY”
Me: “Sir, your bus has been sitting in your field, acting as a commune for mice for 37 years”

$10K......? Shocked
Try $25k-30k.....
I’m already pushing my non-running, rusted, complete 71 Westy out into the front yard for $20k. LOL

While some see it as the recognition VW deserves compaired to other 70’s vehicles, and could make some money on nice vehicles they own if sold, this just ruined the hobby for a lot of enthusiasts wanting a Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

I don't think so; that's backlighting from the flash. If you look in the other photos, it's fine.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I don't think so; that's backlighting from the flash. If you look in the other photos, it's fine.

I actually picked this up first in one of the other photos.
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Said it on FB and I'll repeat here......as already said a few posts ago...I don't see the bucket, or poo pail as was noted on the FB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: $111,482.OO 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

honestcharlie56 wrote:
Said it on FB and I'll repeat here......as already said a few posts ago...I don't see the bucket, or poo pail as was noted on the FB.

Its probably in the repop/wrong covered buddy box. Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: