Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 industrial engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

Bought this on a online auction site, just got delivered. I new by the pictures it wasn't the most mint looking industrial engine for sure but I couldn't resist buying it. I might have overpaid a bit though $450 incl the shipping.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heads look clean though and it spins freely

Here is one of the reasons I bougt it. Got curious what it might have been used for and what this is (and might be good to use for)?

It has a VJ 4 BR 8 ("019") distributor, which at the time was the correct distributor for industrial engines. Earlier had the "383" (My 1955 industrial engine workshop manual still list them for engines with battery ignition) and later it got the VJ 8 BR 25 ("010").

It was nice to see it was fitted with a dust cover. Condenser (large diameter) and rotor looks original. Even the points looks original, it's the early Bosch ones with the phenolic/backelite tall bushing at the pivot. One thing I haven't seen before is that there seems to be a small lubrication felt in it. I haven't thought about it before but the design of the tall busching is for holding the drops of oil you put on there. I guess the later plastic didn't need as much oil as the phenolic one. Will be fun to rebuild/ looks decent (distributor not engine).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

It obvious that the engine has been sitting in a damp environment with all the corrosion. Found this on the case. Not mutch for that bolt to hold on to! Is the case wasted?

Next I had to check how the case looked under the oil sump cover.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

Cool find! what is the attachment for? is it a PTO transmission of some kind?

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:

It has a VJ 4 BR 8 ("019") distributor, which at the time was the correct distributor for industrial engines. Earlier had the "383" (My 1955 industrial engine workshop manual still list them for engines with battery ignition) and later it got the VJ 8 BR 25 ("010").

It was nice to see it was fitted with a dust cover. Condenser (large diameter) and rotor looks original. Even the points looks original, it's the early Bosch ones with the phenolic/backelite tall bushing at the pivot. One thing I haven't seen before is that there seems to be a small lubrication felt in it. I haven't thought about it before but the design of the tall busching is for holding the drops of oil you put on there. I guess the later plastic didn't need as much oil as the phenolic one. Will be fun to rebuild/ looks decent (distributor not engine).
\

The "383" was used on Porsche's through 1955 if not 1956. You can tell a later '383" from the earlier ones as the badge design is updated. Those dust covers are nice finds and a clue that the distributor at least, is likely original to the engine. SMP made a Blue Streak brand points with a felt for oiling the distributor cam. That one looks like Bosch? Yes, the distributor's are fun to rebuild Wink

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

I have no idea what the transmission and engine was used for. The man I bought it from had in his turn got it from an estate along some tons of other car parts.

As to dates

Engine code:
122-021472 (june-july 1956)
Case:
15 6 16 (15th of June 1st shift 1956)

Coil 2L (february 1955) pre dates the engine but probably original. Distributor body 4M (april 1956), condenser 3M (mars 1956), cap has of course no date but is the early type with Bosch part numbers on the inside. It looks "untouched"

Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

About the points, Yes they are Bosch. The phenolic bushing I refer to is this at the pivot pin, it looks like it have a lubrication felt in it. You are suposed to ad a drop of oil to the pivot at service, late plastic versions also. This is the earliest design of 01001 points I know of (Bosch).

Here are the dogleg 36hp points, also early (yellow wire and phenolic bushing)

And here are later versions of the 01001. The white/semitransparent bushing ones being the oldest, probably later half of the 50s. Still has the individual part numbers for moving and stationary point on the box and "520" order number for the set. All have a phenolic rubbing block for the cam.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

Currently Wolfsburg West makes a nice dark brown reproduction of the caps. They saw fit to put their logo on the inside making the cap appear even more early Bosch original. There's another reproduction out there that has their large logo on the outside.

Frederick, what I had spotted was that fuzzy blob up against the points cam to the right of the adjustable half of the points. Looks kinda like felt but is dried grease and dirt.

I've seen points with a dark brown phenolic insulator but can't recall if they were Bosch or not.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen points with a dark brown phenolic insulator but can't recall if they were Bosch or not.

This Electra (made in France) brand has phenolic insulators. But I also belive I've seen them om other brands as well.

It was a real mix of different plastic busching is one, rubbing block another and insulator phenolic. Here are Bremi points 1003 points the ones to the left have a phenolic/ backelite busching but new plastic on block. The ones to the right has same plastic on both. I guess it was a real trial and error back then.

Here are some interesting bosch 01009 points, to the left "ordanary" looking Bosch, to the right They are the same design as the schier points (vw stamping)

Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Currently Wolfsburg West makes a nice dark brown reproduction of the caps. They saw fit to put their logo on the inside making the cap appear even more early Bosch original. There's another reproduction out there that has their large logo on the outside.

Also the earlier caps are a bit more light dark brown with a "touch" of red tone. The real dark, dark brown I think was late 50s through 60s

Colors of nos caps, from the top left to right:
2 Early caps Bosch and other brand, a zvs74z6 (the darker later version),
A new produktion Beru cap (good replacement/ you can but them new and they are German, lacks the red tone of the early caps), 70s light brown caps, normal (lacquered inside) and lacquered inside/ outside. Compared to the same new "orange/red" caps they are still more "brown" in color.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

That's a nice little engine you have there. Delivery probably was a large part of the price.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

Yes it was!
I have one more 36hp 1956 industrial engine in mutch better condition/ very few running hours. The original plan was to use that as a base to bolt on the ww okrasa kit but I might save it for a more serious build in the future/ have mixed feelings about using it.

This case I don't have any regrets to acctually use. I will not open the case and that might be a misstake..
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

You need to determine if you will be able to rejoin the two case halves together. That corrosion looks pretty bad but it might be enough to hold the case. See if the bolt is loose. You can always just bolt it together and have someone weld it. Post in the engine forum and ask what to do about corrosion there.

The case might be really nice inside. It could have been run only a few hours and put up wet.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

I will probably not split the case, the case corrosion is only on the front/underside around that bolt, probably from sitting on a damp floor. By the dirt/oil build up inside the case it probably isn't a low hour case (my other case has less than 100 hour on it) but it probably has a lot less than most engines used in a car from that time. By the photos I took from the inside/ around the sump it at least don't look as there has been water inside it. Will se how it looks when heads/ cylinders are off.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 industrial engine Reply with quote

It might just look dirty if it was running non-detergent oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: