Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

55,000 miles on my 2012 GW2.5L. No problems whatsoever and still running strong.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Last October I rebuilt my GW 2.2 which was purchased in 2012 and had 55k meticulously maintained miles. The main bearing behind the flywheel was half gone. Never overheated, all the melt tabs like new. New bearings and rings, runs better than ever and much better oil pressure.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

seventyfo wrote:
Last October I rebuilt my GW 2.2... The main bearing behind the flywheel was half gone. Never overheated, all the melt tabs like new. New bearings and rings, runs better than ever and much better oil pressure.

I take it that a big drop in oil pressure prompted the rebuild?

If so, was it sudden or gradual?
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

It never had great oil pressure as in 10 per 1k but I added the Vanistan oil cooler setup around 20k which gave it a little boost. There were a couple of long uphill pulls on our last trip out west (heading into Flagstaff from Tuba City on 89 comes to mind) when I became a little concerned about dropping pressures and heat and 115 degrees temps in Phoenix. On tear down I found a paper gasket behind the oil pump cover plate which I left out on the rebuild using sealant only and have much much better hot oil pressure now.

seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KS. .036 endplay 😆

I really had no indication of problems until I changed the oil. No funny noises or loss of power, oil pressure ok.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once I saw this though... maybe another 10k before it grenades or rebuild? So far it was worth the $1200 or so for bearings, rings, machine work, seals.

K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I had a new 2.3 engine installed in my '84 Westy at Westy-Werks in April 2018 and have only roughly 1k on the engine. Followed every break in guideline to a T along with prescribed oil and filter and have had the following issues.
4 weeks ago the van stumbled and died twice on me while cruising but restarted both times without any noticeable problem. I took it to a local shop on the recommendation of Westy-Werks (they are 150 miles from me) and they could not find anything wrong.
Vans been running fine and then last week I started hearing a metallic clattering sound which seemed to be coming from beneath the engine. It sounds as though something has broken off and is being tossed around inside.
The noise isn't apparent at idle but when given throttle and decelerating it's very noticeable whether driving or motionless.
The strange thing is the Van runs as well as it ever did and have not experienced the hesitation, stumbling or dying. Starts right up, idles smooth.
I spoke to Westy-Werks and GoWesty and both say drive as little as possible and take to a shop.
Any comments or advice are very welcome.
Thanks,

btw, the entire cooling system was ugraded along with gas tank reseal and new (rebuilt) AFM.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Sounds like the catalytic converter elements have come loose. To check this, tap on the CC with the engine off and listen for a rattle.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
Sounds like the catalytic converter elements have come loose. To check this, tap on the CC with the engine off and listen for a rattle.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I forgot to mention I also had the new exhaust system added. I'm wondering if I got some bad gas. I've used 91 octane since first fill up.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

K58 wrote:
CessnaJon wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I forgot to mention I also had the new exhaust system added. I'm wondering if I got some bad gas. I've used 91 octane since first fill up.

Bump on it with a big rubber mallet on cat, and muffler. Good suggestion above.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Could be a failed lifter, too. If shaking the cat doesn't provide an explanation, don't drive it. Have it towed the nearest garage that knows vanagons or Westy works or GW approves of.

Hans
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I'd been holding out for a vanistan 2.2 but had to settle for a GW 2.2 instead. Did the install myself in my gravel driveway with a little bit of help from a friend this March. I have a completely upgraded cooling and fuel delivery system and added the Vanistan stainless exhaust. My first engine install went swimmingly and I broke it in as per the GW instructions. I've now got 3k miles on it and couldn't be happier. just got back from a 1600 mile road trip and am very impressed w/ increased power. I changed the oil to Mobile 1 15w/50 at 1k miles and havent had to add a drop since. for me GW's been a pleasure to deal with. If any issues arise I will certainly post, but right now I'm a very happy camper.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm reviving this thread, in hope of hearing from those of you who installed a 2.2 or a 2.3. It has been almost two years since the last post here. How are your engines doing?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I had a GW 2.45 with less than 40k miles on it. Before I left for Baja, I was leaking coolant from the passenger side head. My mech. pulled the head and there was pitting all around the case where the head seats. Three Bosch mechanics said the case should have been rejected. I contacted GW and was told they have a very tight inspection program and I should just reseal it and drive on. Coming out of Baja last year, the engine overheated. 49 miles north of Medford, Oregon, both head gaskets and the rear main seal went altogether. I replaced the engine with a FAS Gen V 2.0.

My point: ANY waterboxer you buy will be a rebuild. You did not see the parts used to build the engine.

The only waterboxer I would recommend would by built by Rocky Jennings in Walla Walla. Get one before he stops building them, or try a different engine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. What I've read so far about GoWesty is quite disappointing regarding their warrantee.
I really like the WBX. I'm in Canada, so I guess the way to go is have a local shop do the rebuild with Rocky Jennings parts for instance. Sorry if I'm getting off topic here.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Hi folks,
It has been almost two years since the last post here. How are your engines doing?

14+ years later, still no issues with my 2.2 Digijet.

Typical? Lucky? Outlier? Can't say, but it has certainly worked out for me.
bikelash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

My GoWesty 2.3 is at 40K and still holding strong. Two coast to coast and three Co to Fla and back. I added Marco's injectors about 5 months back and felt like there was a slight improvement in the low end. Certainly would like a bit more power but so far I am happy.

64 baja sold
72 sb wrecked
69 baja sold
69 std sold
72 sb sold
54 std sold
74 sb-ongoing
88 westy-ongoing
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

My GW 2.4 has over 80,000 (trip meter repair tripped the odometer so its estimated mileage) I installed in 2006. Has always used a quart of oil per 1000 miles, had to keep on top of it, checking oil level at least once per fill up. Did a compression check this week and #3 cylinder is at 103 psi dry, the others range up to 117 psi. I was plenty happy enough with the engine's performance.

Its now decision time. I have a used p/c set with 10,000 miles on them for the 2.4. Also been picking up wbx parts as they come on sale over the past few years for a 2.3 rebuild of a spare wbx I got for free. Or a 42,000 mile 2003 Zetec motor for a Bostig install $$$. Bostig site is "out of stock" for this year's kit.

Will be pulling the 2.4 in the coming weeks, so lots of time to think this one through. What would you do with what I've written above?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

yellow, I can't speak for Bostig vs. WBX. A factor here could be whether you like rebuilding engines or not. If you enjoy working on the WBX, rebuild the one you have with the parts you have. You've already got the parts, all you need now is labour! Do you have the time?
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I am almost 2 years in and have about 11k miles on my 2.2 Self install and runs great, but at about 6k miles noticed a very small oil drip at back of engine. didn't have time to check it out, but recently completed a 4000 mile road trip and definitely have a seep somewhere at the rear of the engine. It is probably from either the oil pump or the main pully seal. very hard to tell where as there isn't much room back there but looks more like the pully seal. I was very careful to follow break in procedures and have changed oil every 4k miles using Mobil 1 15w-50. in 4000 miles on my road trip I added half a qt. total, so the drip/seep is pretty slight. Very annoying tho and will probably have to deal with it as some point. was hoping for a hassle free/drip free engine for many more miles.
psjensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone has the GW 2.7 installed. If so, any feedback either positive or negative?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: