Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Post Your Roof Rack Setup
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

Assuming you knew the people with the twin westy at the front of ferry?
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

I've been using these OEM original VW accessory racks for some time.

Now for sale in the Samba classifieds.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355135

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robcass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

Anyone know what the suggested max weight on a rack would be for a set up with gutter mounts drilled directly into the Westy Fiberglass Pop top? Mine are the 2 hole Thule kind. I was wanting to transport 110 lbs. Worried that I may crack the poptop. Thoughts?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

robcass wrote:
Anyone know what the suggested max weight on a rack would be for a set up with gutter mounts drilled directly into the Westy Fiberglass Pop top? Mine are the 2 hole Thule kind. I was wanting to transport 110 lbs. Worried that I may crack the poptop. Thoughts?

you should be fine. I've had HUNDREDS of pounds up there though I have the Yakima with 4 holes. the load is vertical so it should be strong enough in either case

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Thor-bob Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

I found these pix in an album....... been meaning to share.

We used to hang glide in the Owens Valley in the '80's, and I made a box to carry the glider on the Vanagon. The gutter brackets were Quik N Easy brand.

Big thing: The front bracket had horrible wind roar from the 2" square cross tube, so I cut a piece of cardboard shipping tube in half and taped it to the front - the roar disappeared!

The nose cone was just for grins - it was cheapy plywood cut and curved, attached to internal ribs, then glassed and painted. Amazingly, the mileage dip was barely noticeable, maybe 1 MPG or so.

Also - The large overhang at the back end made the van immune to crosswinds, and it was very pleasant to drive.
Good times.

Thor-bob

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

Love it! Looks like you're on you way to install an alien space beacon somewhere!

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

Here's a look at my next rack setup I've been working on. Almost ready for debut. Hopefully details in a couple weeks.

Jim Davis
PS: Eric - I need a new TerraWagen sticker Very Happy

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

^^^ That looks like a sweet rack. Is this a custom build or a modular rack system from a vendor? Which vendor? Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

Neither exactly. It's a rack made specific for a Vanagon. The fabricator makes other racks, each with dimensions (height, length, width) and specifics (mounting supports, Etc.) for a particular rig. Specs for this one are all tailored for a Vanagon hard-top and Doka. One half-length rack can be used perhaps if you have something else to place on part of the roof, or for a DoKa. Or, if you want to maximize rack space, two are joined together to cover the entire roof area. We're working out the details on this installation before it will be offered for general sale. Stay tuned...

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
moodgenic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

jvarg wrote:

Hi!
Can you help me and give me the reference for this roof rack was please? From front runner or other?
Thanks in advance
Best
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Post Your Roof Rack Setup Reply with quote

Thor-bob wrote:
I found these pix in an album....... been meaning to share.

We used to hang glide in the Owens Valley in the '80's, and I made a box to carry the glider on the Vanagon. The gutter brackets were Quik N Easy brand.

Big thing: The front bracket had horrible wind roar from the 2" square cross tube, so I cut a piece of cardboard shipping tube in half and taped it to the front - the roar disappeared!

The nose cone was just for grins - it was cheapy plywood cut and curved, attached to internal ribs, then glassed and painted. Amazingly, the mileage dip was barely noticeable, maybe 1 MPG or so.

Also - The large overhang at the back end made the van immune to crosswinds, and it was very pleasant to drive.
Good times.

Thor-bob

" The gutter brackets were Quik N Easy brand" Sweet, I still have a new set of 4 in a box..

To all the Vanagon folks on the fence about adding a roof rack...the job of washing your truck will forever be changed.

BK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: