Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another 40HP 1385 build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
hi heres my two cents on your build .why a fk41 cam ?are you building a all out race motor. or a friendly street motor. I looked this cam up on the net . it is for serious motor builds with dual carbs or a big single carb . you must run dual springs the add says. its rpm rang is from 1,000 rpm to 5,000 rpm . are you going to run a stock 28 carb ? or a 30 carb ? if you are I feal the fk41 cam is a over kill for a 40 hp motor . I don't think your going to be happy with that cam for the street your going to be in 3rd gear a lot .for get 4th gear. my self I don't like 1:2.1 rockers there a pain in the ass to set up. unless you buy a set of scat $200.00 + that has the right off set .on a deep sump. I have used a deep sump on formula vee 40 hp motors . they work just fine using the small pick up tube. don't get me wrong. I like 40 hp motors and dune buggies . I just want you to think about what your doing on your motor build . and ask your self am I doing the right thing on my build . your the one that has to live with your motor. my goal was not to put you down on your build .please think over what your doing .ask engle if your using the right cam good luck like I said just my two cents spencerfvee

no offense taken at all. I post on this community to get feedback, response, opinions / questions. its how we all learn from each other. What I can say is that all decisions were thought out and weren't just knee jerk reactions. I talked to diff folks that ran formula vee as well as vendors and others like you and me in the game. For what I wanted this seemed like the best combination.

What I want from this motor build is a few things: First the educational experience. Second a "hot" street motor. I don't want a full race build, nor a cruiser type. Somewhere in between Very Happy

In the end, if I find the CAM doesn't work out swapping it out is a fun weekend with friends over beers. If the rockers don't work out, that a few hours of work in the evening.

Bottom line, this is all a controlled experiment. Much like everyone at one time or another with building engines and trying different combinations of parts. Yes this may not be the traditional 40HP build, but that is OK for me.

To me the journey and experience is as important as the final product.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

I agree with Dan, the intake and carb are a huge restriction. I don't think cam or rockers will help without addressing that. I'm doing an 40hp AMR 500 supercharger with larger diameter intake. There's only so many ways to work with that puny intake port. Blowing into it, or dual carbs would be a huge upgrade.

My biggest hurdle with the supercharger is making it fit under an early car decklid, you dont have that problem. I bought 2 of them from eBay Japan for $100. They come off of modern EFI micro cars and they are the size of an alternator.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

hi that's cool .one must build there motor the way they want to. your like me I am all ways messing with motors no one wants to build I am not as crazy as the 36 hp guys spending big money lol look around at swap meets I found these 1965 40 hp heads that came off of a stock vee motor . these heads are cheater heads they have 35mm intake valves there ported by autoworks they had high rev springs chroum.moly( I cant spell stay in school lol) retainers . I put new valves and guides in the heads . I am building a a 40hp motor one day . again I just like building motors lol . my friend is racing my old bobsy vee this summer . I helped with parts for his motor it sounds bad ass on the engine stand . I some times I cant belive the HP you can get out of a 40 hp motor. take care spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

Looking to sell them Smile

spencerfvee wrote:
hi that's cool .one must build there motor the way they want to. your like me I am all ways messing with motors no one wants to build I am not as crazy as the 36 hp guys spending big money lol look around at swap meets I found these 1965 40 hp heads that came off of a stock vee motor . these heads are cheater heads they have 35mm intake valves there ported by autoworks they had high rev springs chroum.moly( I cant spell stay in school lol) retainers . I put new valves and guides in the heads . I am building a a 40hp motor one day . again I just like building motors lol . my friend is racing my old bobsy vee this summer . I helped with parts for his motor it sounds bad ass on the engine stand . I some times I cant belive the HP you can get out of a 40 hp motor. take care spencerfvee

prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

I already have a second intake to play around with to make a dual carb setup...so that’s Phase 2 Smile

And while the cam lifters may seem much right, there are already plans for a phase 2 and not having to split the case again is preferable. Also I want the motor to be a a “hot” motor- fast revving, quick torque. Top speed is not a priority and “driveability ” is in the eye of the driver and I’m the only driver....for now.

TinCanFab wrote:
I agree with Dan, the intake and carb are a huge restriction. I don't think cam or rockers will help without addressing that. I'm doing an 40hp AMR 500 supercharger with larger diameter intake. There's only so many ways to work with that puny intake port. Blowing into it, or dual carbs would be a huge upgrade.

My biggest hurdle with the supercharger is making it fit under an early car decklid, you dont have that problem. I bought 2 of them from eBay Japan for $100. They come off of modern EFI micro cars and they are the size of an alternator.
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

Something odd - I was measuring for end play. I put the shims the motor previously had (measured 0.042 all together) and tightened the flywheel and the motor would not turn.

I loosened it up and it spins freely. When I put the flywheel on with no shims it spin freely. I measure the end play with out shims and it was .051. What could be happening?
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

Measured the end play with no shimms. .049.

Put in two shimms end play is now .023.

So I need to buy a .018 shimm.

It’s weird - previous builder stuffed 4 shimms in there. Funny enough all four shims (total .042) would put the end play at .007 - very close. However when I put the 4 shimms in there the motor won’t turn. 3 shimms turns beautifully.
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

So far so good....engine running good. Final numbers:
Bore: 83
Stroke: 64
Deck Height: 0.016
Head Cc: 44
Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Cam: FK41
Rockers: 1.25:1

Currently running an 009 with PICT 28. 125mains.

Static timed to 7 BTDC (just got my timing light so will time to 30deg at 3000rpm)

I can’t get it to idle very smoothly, I have to blip the throttle so it doesn’t die out.

Also considering getting a Pict30.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

Sorry in advance if this contributes nothing to the conversation, but with that FK-41 I see this description on the ACN cam page:

The Engle FK41 is a newer VW Cam for serious engines. It is designed for 1.4-1.5 rockers, and it's specs are .364" Cam Lift, .510" Valve Lift (1.4 Rockers) 269 degrees of advertised duration, and 239 degrees of duration at .050", on a 108 Lobe Center.

I'm not sure at all how well it may work with the small 31 x 30 IE valves in a 40hp engine.

With 1.25 rockers you're looking at .455" lift which is pretty deep breathing for the little 40, even a big bore one. I'm not sure but the "lumpiness" of this cam with your combination might be causing the rough idle.
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

As stated in previous posts - no need to apologize. I’m putting this info out there to share my experiences and learn from others experiences. I actually don’t mind the “lumpiness” I just can’t keep it on with out blipping the throttle at initial startup. Once it’s warmed up it’s a bit better but not great.

I’m also working to make a dual carb kit so that should help. Both would be pict28.

I’m planning on upgrading the carb soon PICT30 (are there better choices?) - hopefully they will help this driving season.

fl59bug wrote:
Sorry in advance if this contributes nothing to the conversation, but with that FK-41 I see this description on the ACN cam page:

The Engle FK41 is a newer VW Cam for serious engines. It is designed for 1.4-1.5 rockers, and it's specs are .364" Cam Lift, .510" Valve Lift (1.4 Rockers) 269 degrees of advertised duration, and 239 degrees of duration at .050", on a 108 Lobe Center.

I'm not sure at all how well it may work with the small 31 x 30 IE valves in a 40hp engine.

With 1.25 rockers you're looking at .455" lift which is pretty deep breathing for the little 40, even a big bore one. I'm not sure but the "lumpiness" of this cam with your combination might be causing the rough idle.
Surprised
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: