Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many versions of cargo area rubber mats?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: How many versions of cargo area rubber mats? Reply with quote

I've been negotiating with someone to acquire a rubber cargo mat. The one he has is from a later L model with holes for the jump seats. However, it also has two wide ridges running across the middle that are about 3" wide and run the full width of the cargo area about a foot or so apart. Is there a flat version of this mat without those ridges? I would very much like to have an OEM mat for the proper fit and look. Obviously, mats from earlier passenger models would have holes and slits for the middle bench seat which I would not want. Is there a later model (jump seat style) rear mat that doesn't have those ridges?

Hans
invisible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How many versions of cargo area rubber mats? Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I had one of these in my van but if I recall, mine had a couple raised ridges that were supported by some sort of hardened foam like material.
My van had holes for jump seats but no middle row.

I think the ridges were pretty nice for loading large and heavy items in the back as it let them slid a bit and also left room for not smashing fingers.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How many versions of cargo area rubber mats? Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I have coming to me.

Hans
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How many versions of cargo area rubber mats? Reply with quote

My 1990 Syncro Base Model

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How many versions of cargo area rubber mats? Reply with quote

Hans,

If I recall correctly the 1990 and 1991 base models (not an L) had raised bars to clear the rails of a forward facing seat, though they all had the rear-facing jump seats. I'd guess VW only wanted to make one universal mold, then stamp the cutouts depending on which seats the model had.

Neither the 1990 nor the 1991 brochure shows the interior of these base models.

Those vans described here:
https://www.vanagons.org/90-vanagon.html

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: