Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parking brake test (disc and drum)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Using only my hand brake, i can easily lock up my rear tires on gravel with my eurovan rear brakes on my westy (brand new 215/65/19 tires). My driveway is sloped and my hand brake now holds better than ever. Even better than my 2015 golf wagon. A couple of clicks and it just plain grabs.

I got a steep hill a block away...you want me to take a measurement for you?

Paul
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Using only my hand brake, i can easily lock up my rear tires on gravel with my eurovan rear brakes on my westy (brand new 215/65/16 tires

franklins I doubt if that’s necessary. The “Standardized” ramp & incline tests were to compare/discuss parking brakes that have no hope of skidding the tires on gravel. Incidentally not a single rear disc’r participated, only a guy with OEM drums. The question perhaps was answered by the null-data.

However if ya wanna close out this thread with a pic.
Or a YouTube gravel skid, that would be great.
Or even a still photo of skidding? Or gravel-skid marks?

I’m pretty sold on the Eurovan brake kit and after 9 years of wheel chocks, so ready to go Eurovan.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

I’m pretty sold on the Eurovan brake kit and after 9 years of wheel chocks, so ready to go Eurovan.

Me, too. I've installed and removed more drums from my vans in the last ten years than I had in my whole life with cars with four drum brakes! I could have paid for a disc swap twice over...

The drums are so sh*tty nowadays. It seeems to be impossible to get decent drums at any price.

Anybody have a line on the German Epytec T4 rear disc conversion parts? He said hopefully...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

I’ve had Burleys kit on for a while. I will try to get the ramps out for an equal test. My steep driveway is 12° as per iPhone. The van weighs 6000 lbs and I have 235/70/16 tires that are 20% oversized.

(3)three clicks on the parking brake will hold it.

It won’t lock them up, or skid while moving on pavement or dirt. But once stopped the hold is really firm.

Last edited by Syncro Jael on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
[
Anybody have a line on the German Epytec T4 rear disc conversion parts? He said hopefully...

They are using Epytec kits and will ship stateside. You should look through the entire website

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/4-scheibenbremse-fuer-vw-bus-t3-syncro-14

Compare the kits to match what is shown on Epytec's website.
https://epytec.de/en/brake-system/adapters/

If you can get the adapter for your application it is cheaper then buying a complete kit.
You can then source the rotors and calipers on Rock Auto.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

They are using Epytec kits and will ship stateside. You should look through the entire website

If you can get the adapter for your application it is cheaper then buying a complete kit.

Thanks, Steve! That's exactly what I had in mind: buy the adapters from Epytec and supply the other parts myself.
Epytec also offers an adapter to mount the G57 calipers on a 312mm front disc - that would make a real difference over the 288mm disc and still fit in a 16" wheel.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Thanks, Steve! That's exactly what I had in mind: buy the adapters from Epytec and supply the other parts myself.
Epytec also offers an adapter to mount the G57 calipers on a 312mm front disc - that would make a real difference over the 288mm disc and still fit in a 16" wheel.

Ohhh, I've been looking for this option (and more specifically the parts list for this option) for some time. LMK how this works out for you!

And... actually, if you go this route PM me. We can maybe split the shipping.

Robyn
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

squeegee_boy wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Ohhh, I've been looking for this option (and more specifically the parts list for this option) for some time. LMK how this works out for you!

And... actually, if you go this route PM me. We can maybe split the shipping.

Robyn

I'll do that, Robyn. Are you looking for rear discs, too, or just the G57/312mm disc fronts? Do you have bigger brakes up front currently or need all the parts?
www.thebassspa.com
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

I'll do that, Robyn. Are you looking for rear discs, too, or just the G57/312mm disc fronts? Do you have bigger brakes up front currently or need all the parts?

Just the front adapter kit, I'll source the rest of the parts locally/Rockauto.

Robyn
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

If you know someone in Germany, have Epytec ship the brackets to them or use freight forwarding services. Epytec still won't ship directly to the US or Canada.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Sodo,

I completed your test. And these are the results. I did put it in reverse while on nine clicks and I could move, but it killed the engine at an idle.

Embarassed ONE "Click" (Rolls Down)
Crying or Very sad TWO (Rolls Down making little noise)
Sad THREE (Rolls Down making noise)
Shame on you FOUR (Slowly Rolls down making lotsa noises)
Not talking FIVE (Very Slowly Rolls Down w/interment stops)
Smile SIX (Holds Firm)
Very Happy SEVEN (Holds Very Firm)
Laughing EIGHT (Holds Very Firm)
Dancing NINE (Holds Very Tight)
That is the limit, no more lever to pull.
The sound it makes is like lightly holding the foot brake on a hill and hearing the pads grab.

And Yes! It can hold a van perched on a Campsite leveling rock?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Cool, RON!
The 2nd, actual Vanagon rear disc brake test appears on page 4!
(and we're back on-topic too!) Wink

I drove some places in Moab (the White Rim trail) where I'd be in deep kaka if I had to get outta my van with no parking brake.
I gotta get something 'real' before some emergency gets layed on me.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

It looks like Jeff is ready to produce his rear disc brackets. From what I have seen, his brackets allow the use the Eurovan caliper/rotor combos or '06 -'13 jetta/golf calipers with the Eurovan rotors - either the 280 or 294 rotor.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355247

I can attest to the excellent parking brake of the Eurovan caliper/rotor combo and an overall improved and balanced braking feel. I have the Epytec brackets, but it took months to get shipped from Germany through a third party service. It wes well worth it though to finally have decent rear brakes and a REAL E-Brake. I can skid my rear tires on gravel with the hand brake!

So if you are stateside and don't want to deal with trying to get brackets from Epytec in Germany, this is your only US option for brackets only (t4 on t3) as far as I know.

Off the shelf hoses and cables also work with this system which makes it very accessible.

Paul
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake test (disc and drum) Reply with quote

Found a decent hill at my night job. It’s a driveway into a parking lot, so I’m sure it has to meet some sort of regulations. My phone level is not calibrated so couldn’t measure it. Tried to get the sign and the tree as good as square in the photo as I could.

Homemade special audi brakes (see build thread), 4 clicks on the handle, engine is running and in neutral. Syncro westy with 215/75-15 tires and around 5200 pounds as it sits.

It has a couple more clicks to go, and I did let the handle all the way down and pull it back up again and it stopped the van from rolling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: