Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've traced my Vanagon's coolant leak to the hose that connects the coolant hose junction to the engine. It's spraying coolant like a squirt gun, so it definitely needs to go.

Should I just replace all the coolant hoses with the GoWesty kit:
http://www.gowesty.com/product/hoses/23604/2-1-cooling-hose-kit-?v=
or am I ok just replacing that little pipe?

I'm assuming I'm going to have to drain the coolant system either way and if that one's bad, the other ones may be soon to go, right?

Also, does anyone have experience with the GoWesty kit? Any tips on quality of kit or install process?

Thanks!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

this whole coolant hoses kit is for when you pull out the engine for repair or rebuild.. it's easier to do that way.

but you can do it with the engine in, one by one. To minimize the coolant loss, I'd use some sort of clamp to block off the coolant flow... you will sure lose some coolant but not a lot if you use clamps.
RickPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
this whole coolant hoses kit is for when you pull out the engine for repair or rebuild.. it's easier to do that way.

but you can do it with the engine in, one by one. To minimize the coolant loss, I'd use some sort of clamp to block off the coolant flow... you will sure lose some coolant but not a lot if you use clamps.

Thanks, 0to60in6min.

Am I correct in assuming that the other pipes are likely to need replacement soon?

Should I burp the coolant system after?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Rick,

do you mean the twin long hard plastic tubes/hoses running from the rear to the front?

those are OK if no leak at the connectors... usually the connecting ends went bad, if so then you have to replace them... stainless steel is best....
RickPDX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Rick,

do you mean the twin long hard plastic tubes/hoses running from the rear to the front?

those are OK if no leak at the connectors... usually the connecting ends went bad, if so then you have to replace them... stainless steel is best....

Hey 0to60,
No, I'm talking about that 6-8 inch, 1" diameter rubber S hose that goes from the coolant tower to cylinder 1.

http://www.van-cafe.com/cooling-s-hose.-cyl.-1-to-tower

I already replaced the tubes to and from the radiator with the stainless. Had to drop the gas tank to get them in, but so far, no issues with those.

I ended up ordering that silicone one. Should take care of the problem, and I'll keep an eye on the other hoses just in case.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

I'm about to go thru the same process, but not because I have any leaks. But most of my hoses including the long front to back plastic lines are at least 33 years old and are the originals from the factory. This '87 Westy Camper GL has only 70,000 original miles.

I decided to order every coolant hose on the vehicle from GoWesty , and at the same time I'm going to remove the factory auto trans fluid cooler and install GoWesty's cooler, and drop the tank and do the vent tube and seal replacement all at the same time. Luckily I'll have the help of a great friend who is a recently retired VW dealership mechanic, so I'll have great help, and I'll be paying him for his assistance (whether he wants it or not!). Does anyone have any good tips or warnings that you can share? I ordered their stainless steel coolant line kit, radiator hose kit, all engine compartment coolant hose kit, the fuel tank vent re-seal kit.

I'm probably going to need to order a clamp pliers and maybe a spare thermostat with "O" ring and maybe a few other items. I like the idea of having all coolant hoses being brand new for another 20-30 years...

Concerning that entire engine compartment hose kit, no new clamps are provided. Is that because hopefully the original squeeze clamps are okay to re-use?

Thanks for any advice and tips?

Bill Bowman

Rest in peace Darrell Boehler
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

The hot coolant leaving the engine through goes right to the plastic coolant distribution tower. Prophylactic replacement would be prudent. The originals were made by Blau. They last a long time but you should not expect over 20 years of reliable service from them.

The original spring clamps are the best technical solution for the original type of hoses. People do not like them because they can be difficult to deal with. Silicone hoses might require something else.
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

RickPDX wrote:
Hey all,

I've traced my Vanagon's coolant leak to the hose that connects the coolant hose junction to the engine. It's spraying coolant like a squirt gun, so it definitely needs to go.

Should I just replace all the coolant hoses with the GoWesty kit:
http://www.gowesty.com/product/hoses/23604/2-1-cooling-hose-kit-?v=
or am I ok just replacing that little pipe?

I'm assuming I'm going to have to drain the coolant system either way and if that one's bad, the other ones may be soon to go, right?

Also, does anyone have experience with the GoWesty kit? Any tips on quality of kit or install process?

Thanks!

Just bite the bullet and do the whole job. I did it with the engine in two years ago and it's been great for over 20K...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Might as well replace the expansion tank and the low level sender at the same time. The tank will crack and leak sooner or later. I've see a few distribution towers fail. A stainless steel version is available.

How about the radiator and the fan sensor?
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Coolant Hoses on 87 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

I'd replace the one piece and keep on going. I don't think the new hoses will have the life that the OE ones do. I'd replace any plastic in the system but I think a full hose replacement is not money well spent.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: