Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
achang84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Manx buggy knockoff based on a 59 beetle (as far as I can tell and per the title). I just fixed up a few suspension items on including new tie rods and suspension settings. Are there any shops you guys recommend in Orange County or nearby to take a buggy to for a street alignment?

Thanks!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations Reply with quote

Ask MrBill. He has a Manx type buggy and a Class 11 off road Bug. He also is some sort of mechanic or something in OC.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, is there a difference between "off road" and street alignment, if so, can someone explain?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
achang84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations Reply with quote

Mickey I’m not sure either, but I’m guessing different amounts of toe in and camber are used as typical for street cars. I know that I cut the coils off the coil over shocks from the previous owner so now the car sits a few inches lower at rest. I also changed out the tie rods. I matched them to equal length as previous but I’m not so sure the previous setting was good for toe in anyways.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations Reply with quote

No difference between alignment for street or for dirt.

Changing the ride height will change the alignment front and rear.

You don't need fancy machinery or special skills to align a link pin VW front end.

- Camber is not adjustable. Some will tell you that they adjusted the camber with the link pin shims. That tells you that they were messing things up and don't know what they are doing. If you have stock spindles, you should have very close to zero camber. If it's not zero, something is bent.

- Caster is adjusted by adding shims behind the lower tube of the beam.

- Toe should be 1/16" to 1/4" IN at the tread of the tire. You measure that with a tape measure. Not rocket science. Be sure you start by centering the steering wheel. If the steering wheel is centered and the wheels aren't pointing straight then adjust the tie rods until the steering wheel is straight and so are the tires.

- Before you start checking alignment, check for loose tie rod ends, loose wheel bearings, steering slop, worn link pin bushings or king pin bushings.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations Reply with quote

Lee and sons in Fullerton on harbor Blvd. old school shop and they know what they are doing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
achang84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I’ll check the alignment but it’s good to know a good so around here!
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Orange County, CA : wheel alignment recommendations Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Ask MrBill. He has a Manx type buggy and a Class 11 off road Bug. He also is some sort of mechanic or something in OC.

SOLD our auto repair business, so I no longer have access to our alignment rack....SORRY

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: