Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

2.1 Automatic. Took my rear passenger CV half axle off because I have been having an intermittent thumping/scraping noise that sounds rotational. It would come and go for the past couple of years and every time I took the wheel off to inspect, seeing nothing amiss, it would go away immediately upon reassembly of the wheel. But now it is starting to vibrate under load to coincide with the noise so I went to work. Grease was def all dried up. Is this worth putting 20$ worth of grease into all 4 CV's or should I just buy some new ones? Also, before researching or inspecting, thinking they were symmetrical, I took both CV's off the axle without noting their orientation. Not sure which way the center hub goes. It has a bunch of grooves on one side and has a sharp edge. Other side is smooth with a tapered edge. The part that the inner hub slides into has one edge that is slightly thinner than the other. Would it be possible to switch the CV's around, while keeping the axles in the same place to create a brand new wear point? I thought I saw something about this earlier, but I can't find the thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

That CV owes you nothing. It has lived a long life and is ready to be put out to pasture. If it were my bus I’d replace all 4 with lobros and call it a day.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

You could turn those the other way, but you've already disassembled them and there's no way to put them back together exactly the way they were. The wear is too uneven to do so.

And I'd say the wear is too significant.
Those are about the deepest ball-tracks I've ever seen.
Probably should have turned them around a long time ago.

Those look like Lobros.
Also I notice the decel side is un-touched.
Manual transaxle CVs will show a little wear on the decel side.

As Dave said, prob shoud get new Lobros, but I will add, you should reverse the direction sooner. And since you know how to service them, maybe clean the break-in grease out and replace with fresh grease at the first 10,000 miles.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Nice paperweight.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Agreed, new joints are in order. I suggest Lobros with Rockford boots.

Save 1 or 2 of your least-bad old joints, clean them and pack them away onboard with a circlip, boot, bolts, grease, and tool, as an emergency spare.

Or, if you're NOT a cheap b*stard like me, just buy 5 new ones and chuck all the old stuff ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
Or, if you're NOT a cheap b*stard like me, just buy 5 new ones and chuck all the old stuff ...

Oh, I am a cheap b*stard. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I was hoping at least ONE person would tell me a re-pack would get me another 50k so I could justify putting them back together. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

They won't say it but I will give you 50% chance of exceeding 25,000 miles, depending on what ball goes in what pit, how you drive, your engine size, the terrain, your luck, and how bad you wanna keep milking it after it grumbles.
If it clicks, pops, snaps, it's gonna bust the cage and you're done.
If you can successfully get all new drive tracks (opposite drive direction) it runs quiet, and you keep it greasey, I'll nod towards 50k.

We are acknowledging this is all for sport, right?

The problems people have most with CVs is boots, grease and tightening the triple-square bolts (33-36 ft-bs!).

I'll say that if you are truly a cheap b**tard invest $20 on some clean oil for your transmission while it's still quiet. Fook up your bearings and R&P due to inattention and there's no flipping them over for another 50k.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

[quote="damagd"]
Jeffrey Lee wrote:
I was hoping at least ONE person would tell me a re-pack would get me another 50k so I could justify putting them back together.

well.. ok.. IF you have every single piece of those put back in EXACLTLY the same spots, and I really mean it, no mixed up balls, cages, anything. IF you took that time and care. AND if you found them with the ring side of the case towards the outside ends of every axle end, the yes. repack them and put them all ring toward the axle center.

But no way would I travel without having at least two spares. And, no, not 50K.

AND, since you most likely did not take the time to mark all the pieces, and use a egg carton to take the balls out so as to return them to exactly the same location, I would guess you COULD put them together, put them on, and run them backwards. But in either case, that is just too cheap, but just exactly what I did ~25k miles ago. I've got one that needs replacement now. I admit, mine were not as bad as yours.

But, I do have two that I cleaned up nearly as bad that I carry in case of an emergency.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

ok, a re-pack would get you another 50k

mm, not miles
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I'll say that if you are truly a cheap b**tard invest $20 on some clean oil for your transmission while it's still quiet. Fook up your bearings and R&P due to inattention and there's no flipping them over for another 50k.

$20? 75w90 is $7.50 a quart and you're gonna need 5. That's $40! Laughing
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Inner races look very bad. are they still usable? Yes! will they be highly reliable long term? No.

If driven locally, go for it, a short distance tow however may cost more than new CVs.

A long distance tow will be more expensive, a ruined road trip, delay in getting the parts and such might be an issue

so it is a gamble, the loss could be large if you need a long tow, or are stuck for days far from home,and have to pay for labour. however they may wear slow enough that you can schedule to replace then at an economical time and place.

The risk goes up for a higher cost repair the further from home you drive

If your broke, reinstall them, but start saving for replacements, and keep the driving very local in the mean time.

What you are asking is kind of like asking if your lottery ticket is a winner or not before purchase

To quote Harry Callahan.

" Do you feel lucky, well do you?"

Bug On, In a Van!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Ok, thank you for your honest answers. However, my time is more valuable than the money I need to spend on new CV's, so I will be making the 1 hr drive to Bus Depot in the am to pick a couple up. I took the driver side half axle off as well to inspect even though it was not making any noise. The grease was not nearly as dried up on either one of those. I took them apart and cleaned them and there is not much wear on either one, so I see no need to replace. I will however switch those over to the other side and install the new ones on the driver side. One weird thing though......The driver side CV that attaches to the wheel did not move in and out well like the others did. It was very tight. Also, it had the cage backwards from what I understand, i.e. the thinner edge was facing out. I cleaned it and flipped it around correctly, however it still does not slide in and out smoothly like the others do. Even flipped it back the way it was and it still doesn't. As for all the balls, yeah, I do not know their original location.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

New CV can be very tight, which is at least part of the reason some people feel their wear surfaces need to be polished before installing them. Thus it sounds to me like you may have a new CV on the driver's side.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Installed the new CV's on the driver's side and switched the driver's side over to the passenger side. Driven 200+ miles so far and all is good. Thanks for all your help! ONE TIP THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT I FOUND IN ANOTHER THREAD........ When installing the outer CV onto the vehicle, I cut the head off of one of the old bolts, dremeled a flat blade screwdriver slot into it and screwed it into one of the holes a little bit so that I could hang the CV on it and install the rest of the bolts. Worked like a charm and I really struggled trying to attach it before I used this method.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Ironically, if you took the driver's side shaft intact, and swung it 180 over to the passenger side, attaching the former inner CV to the inner CV, you did nothing. The worn CVs would then be still torqued in the same direction.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Ironically, if you took the driver's side shaft intact, and swung it 180 over to the passenger side, attaching the former inner CV to the inner CV, you did nothing. The worn CVs would then be still torqued in the same direction.

Doug

Wrong, by swapping side to side you reverse the torque on the CV, thus hopefully letting the ball run in a new area.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

My understanding for correct re-orientation to reverse wear was this:
Looking from the rear
OLD
A - 1 - B - DIFFERENTIAL - C - 2 - D
NEW
D - 1 - C - DIFFERENTIAL - B - 2 - A
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

damagd wrote:
My understanding for correct re-orientation to reverse wear was this:
Looking from the rear
OLD
A - 1 - B - DIFFERENTIAL - C - 2 - D
NEW
D - 1 - C - DIFFERENTIAL - B - 2 - A

That would be correct. You can also just flip the axles on the same side and often the balls will run against an unmarred part of the race surface, as the axles tend to move outward while in use.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

The beauty of CVs is you can ignore all the advice, replace them , install them. And listen for the next 5000-?? Miles and know if they are running ok.

Unless you are completely situationally Unaware CVs give you loads of warning.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this CV pitting beyond regreasing? Hub orientation? Reply with quote

Wups - yes correct, meant to NOT say swap 180, but simply move it across. I had to think this out and write a bullet point list for swapping CVs on the Syncro, and had to do it again for swapping them on the Wolfsburg. Later learned Van Cafe has an excellent diagram on their site.

So, there is a right and wrong way to swap CVs to start wearing the other surfaces out. Glad people are awake!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: