Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
Do they come with back window? Hunt is on!

I thought about a flip up rear window also. It would then allow you to store long objects inside from a rear hatch very easily. Idea

But as mentioned, with the large side windows it is very bright and open in the van now. Also installing the power vent on the rear deck increases the light coming from the vent cover.

After 6 months owning a NAHT I cannot express a single reason I would not make the swap again. My wife would agree!

I just sold my Pop Top and Sky Box that helped pay for the new High Top.

Everytime I look at my phone I want to take the van out and go camping!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

Everytime I look at my phone I want to take the van out and go camping!

I would too if I had a van that nice!

Would you mind terribly if I voted your van the nicest/most practical Syncro on The Samba? Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Thanks Joetiger!
Syncrojael that’s a very nice looking van👍🏼

So is there anything else that holds the top to the van besides
Glue?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
Thanks Joetiger!
Syncrojael that’s a very nice looking van👍🏼

Glue?

Body panel glue that is as strong as welding is just the ticket. Modern cars are held together by much the same adhesive...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
So is there anything else that holds the top to the van besides Glue?

The 2 part Epoxy and Tiger Seal that bonds the top to the van is incredibly strong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:

There are so many vans on the Samba and across the world that I admire more than mine. The time, effort, and funds to keep these wonderful vehicles on the road is immeasurable.

But thanks.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Thought I'd respond to a couple of the questions

Kombi///M3 wrote:
Do they come with back window? Hunt is on!

Several people have asked this in the past, a few have installed windows or hatches. In discussions with them prior to them doing a rear window install I ask them to carefully define what it is they hope to achieve with a rear window:

Ventilation? As folks have mentioned - the 2 side windows and the power vent provide excellent ventilation

Light? Yes - a rear window would provide more light - but, again, the two side windows are quite large and in daylight the "upstairs" is well lit

Down side to a rear window - Security!! How does one lock it? Its a very long reach over the rear bed platform to get to where you would have the window - in fact, one would have to literally climb up there to lock the window.

Having said the above, there are a couple of guys who ( in spite of the security issue) have added a marine hatch in the rear and use it to slide long surf boards into the van through it.

The area at the rear of the top is certainly large enough for a variety of windows and there are lots of available windows. I encourage folks to define carefully what they hope to achieve and then make a considered decision. The vast majority decide against installing one.

Glue?

I don't know what it is that differentiates an "adhesive" from a "glue" but I know that the 2 part epoxy adhesive that we us is far different from any glue that I have ever used. Its the same "stuff" used to fasten vehicle body panels and aircraft wings. It forms an incredibly strong bond. Folks need to remember that the adhesion "power" of a through fastener - screw, bolt etc - is limited to the strength of 3 components - the fastener itself, then the strength of each of the 2 materials being held - and that this strength is localized to the immediate area being held together. With a 2 part adhesive bond, the area being bonded is far larger than that achieved with through fasteners and that bond does not deteriorate the strength of either the fibreglass or the steel van roof.
The secondary adhesive ( a 1 part adhesive) provides additional sealant and adhesive properties.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Wink

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I am really pleased to welcome Gulf Coast Van Werks. gulfcoastvanwerks.com as our newest installer distributor of NAHT hightops . Gulf Coast Van Werks is located in Bradenton Florida - about an hour south west of Tampa - and does complete vanagon restorations, repowering etc as well as installing hightops. Their plans include having a small fleet of hightop rental vans available for Florida.
Welcome James Dimmer and Gulf Coast Van Werks !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Finally got to install the windows that come with the NAHT.

After a lot of head scratching this is what I did.

Decided to place the window fairly high in the side panel since I am going with a 4" mattress up top and I have seen that these windows tend to be a little low and near the mattress. Nothing I can really do except elevate it as much as reasonable.

Flipped the window and placed it on the outside of the top in the position I wanted. Traced the window frame outline.

Made marks 5/8" inside the outer frame outline as a cut line. This should give me 1/8 clearance or so around the window to insert it into the resulting hole.

Pray, call Joetiger for moral support and cut the outline with a jigsaw. (Ignore the extra inner line, that was an artifact of a failed idea.)

View from the inside shows the plywood backer in place from assembling the NAHT.

Then a laid a good bead of flexible marine adhesive on the flange so it would seal and hold the window in place. (It wil be a biotch if I ever decide to remove the window though.)

Slide the window in the hole and press to keep in place.

Go inside and attach the inner trim piece with 5/8" self tapping screws. (To facilitate this I pre-assembled 4 screws on the trim to the frame and then removed them for use when the window was in the hole. It made it much easier to align the trim with the frame since I had those 4 already set in their location. One on each side, top, and bottom.)

I will replace the stainless screws with black ones....

All done. Now on to the Fantastic Vent tomorrow.

The Western Syncro build
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I just sold my Pop Top and Sky Box that helped pay for the new High Top.

I don't recall the exact math I used but in the end I think I had the high-top install funding the first three years of my retirement (whenever that actually happens). Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

There is a lot of new math involved in the finances with whatever I do to my busses. Common core all the way. Cool

The Western Syncro build
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

High-top build thread and roof rack options...

This thread is a great source of info, but it's hard to find stuff in the 60 pages of posts. At the risk of reposting, below are some high-top roof rack threads.

This is a good build thread on thesamba with a notable backstory and info on a Thule high-top rack option.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I'm now on the search for a Thule 420 high-top roof rack that I can get in the US or shipped to the US...
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/roof-rack/roof-rack-components-and-accessories/thule-420-_-420000

Here's another (possibly less elegant) turnkey solution...
https://vantech.us/product/h1-diy-rack-system-for-conversion-vans/

Here's a custom roof rack build thread...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Bcassin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Ron,

Where did you get the mountain stickers on the NAHT shell? Looking for inspiration.

Anyone else using decals of some sort?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Bcassin wrote:
Ron,

Where did you get the mountain stickers on the NAHT shell? Looking for inspiration.

Lots of choices here:

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=car+mountain+decal

Mine's kinda bland but it fills the space a bit.

I've seen some cool ones on the big back area as well.

Here's a world map decal for the back:

Link

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bcassin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Oh wow this is a rabbit hole! Thanks joetiger!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Bcassin wrote:
Oh wow this is a rabbit hole!

You came to the right place...

Abscate wrote:

Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Bcassin wrote:
Ron,

I cut them myself. It is enough to break up all the white. But keeping a light colored top really helps keep the interior of the van cooler.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

Ok...Perhaps we need to do a Poll and start voting for Absolute Best License Plates!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Here's my hightop rendering...
Maybe in a year or two after I re-engine it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 61 of 72

Jump to: