Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Get Karmann
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

New wheels make such a difference!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Hi all,
This is a warning to anyone that may be as silly as me, and work on the dual horns without ear protection!

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Nice video.. Love the slapstick jokes.
Just wondering, do you have the right pair of horns? To me those sound like it might be a pair of the same pitch horns. There's supposed to be a "hoch" and "teif" horn that sound to make a chord. On the video they sound with a beat like two similar frequencies make. The horns have the words "hoch" and "teif" stamped on the backs ( but both words appear on the edges).
It is worth a check.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Nice video.. Love the slapstick jokes.
Just wondering, do you have the right pair of horns? To me those sound like it might be a pair of the same pitch horns. There's supposed to be a "hoch" and "teif" horn that sound to make a chord. On the video they sound with a beat like two similar frequencies make. The horns have the words "hoch" and "teif" stamped on the backs ( but both words appear on the edges).
It is worth a check.
Nicholas

Thank you Nicholas.
I wasn't able to find hoch or teif on either horn. one had the numbers 002 768 but not much else. the other horn has been painted, and may be covering any markings.
You have a good ear sir, obviously never tested the horn in a metal box and no ear protection Very Happy
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
You have a good ear sir, obviously never tested the horn in a metal box and no ear protection Very Happy

Oh yes I have! Razz Very Happy
Here.... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=16
And Here.... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566567

Lots of good photos there where you can see the two horn types.

Nicholas
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:

Oh yes I have! Razz Very Happy
Here.... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=16
And Here.... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566567

Lots of good photos there where you can see the two horn types.

Nicholas

Terrific threads, extremely helpful thanks Nicholas!
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Hi all,
I need some help please in getting the right measurement for the front hood safety latch.

I tried purchasing one, but it seems they are pretty rare to get. So I researched and found a pic of one,

from this I replicated what I think is correct and made a wooden template to test. Can I ask someone to let me know if I have the correct length for this?
My estimate is 120mm or 4.7 inches.

I want to get this right before I make it out of steel. I'm planning on using 2mm thick steel, would that be about correct?

Thanks

Joe
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Finally some progress.
Well technically gone backwards, as I found some nasty surprises while planing to clean the interior in preparation for new carpet.

Link
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Hey we have the same problem here in the UK Joe.

Walking the dog can be hazardous at times although the Stegosaurus is a herbivore so doesn't want to eat either of us.

This one wasn't so friendly...we had to run for it. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Hey we have the same problem here in the UK Joe.

Walking the dog can be hazardous at times although the Stegosaurus is a herbivore so doesn't want to eat either of us.

Laughing Laughing
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
Finally some progress.
Well technically gone backwards, as I found some nasty surprises while planing to clean the interior in preparation for new carpet.

Shocked The rust I assumed would be the only "nasty surprise" that you spoke of finding, ... but that other one - WTF! Laughing

Either your Karmann Ghia previously lived somewhere in a Southern hot, dry climate, ... or one of the dinosaurs leaked out of your fossil fuel tank.

On a more serious note, that video of you shaping and creating the patch panel for the floor was cool as Hell - Thanks for sharing that!

As the video began, I was thinking to myself "Why wouldn't he just buy the correct replacement panel rather than try and make his own crappy patch?".
However, it didn't take long for me to realize the answer to that question was "Because the man has Mad Metal Fabrication Skillz - that's why!".
Ant B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Lovely metal work sir.

I am a follower of Trev's blog as well.
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

On a more serious note, that video of you shaping and creating the patch panel for the floor was cool as Hell - Thanks for sharing that!

Cheers, I'm glad it's interesting. that was my first attempt at a floor panel, and will make the one I need for my Kombi seem really easy Very Happy
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Ant B wrote:

I am a follower of Trev's blog as well.

Trev is super talented, and entertaining!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

That is indistinguishable from magic to me.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

I've been reading your thread and just happen to see this get posted in the classifieds today. It's probably too late but just in case.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2355900

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
I've been reading your thread and just happen to see this get posted in the classifieds today. It's probably too late but just in case.

Fantastic! Thank you, I’ll send a message now
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

JoeM wrote:
Hi all,
I need some help please in getting the right measurement for the front hood safety latch.

I tried purchasing one, but it seems they are pretty rare to get. So I researched and found a pic of one,

from this I replicated what I think is correct and made a wooden template to test. Can I ask someone to let me know if I have the correct length for this?
My estimate is 120mm or 4.7 inches.

This

I want to get this right before I make it out of steel. I'm planning on using 2mm thick steel, would that be about correct?

Thanks

Joe

These may or may not be of help to you since it is a picture of the safety latch on my wife's 69 Ghia and I don't know if the latch length is different on a 64 Ghia.

This shows the approximate length of the latch from the center of the pivot point to its end

This shows the approximate length of the latch from the mounting base to its end

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
JoeM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Get Karmann Reply with quote

Legacy wrote:

These may or may not be of help to you since it is a picture of the safety latch on my wife's 69 Ghia and I don't know if the latch length is different on a 64 Ghia.

Many thanks for this, it does seem to be an upgrade to my model version Smile

Someone posted an add for an original latch, which I’m keen to get.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: