Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
My Hi Jumper in my avatar has always had axle tube stiffeners without RGBs.

But yes, in a Johnny Johnson No-Hop kit, the axle sleeves ARE pivot tubes. The regular axle tube rides inside of the sleeve to rotate (I think that's a more fitting word than "spins") and thus let the 2nd link take up torque thrust to eliminate "hop" as one reduction gear tries to climb the other when power is applied.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see hope the tubes tie into the lower stiffener bar?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The system works in a 4 link style suspension.

The two Spring Plates are the top 2 links, and are bolted to the gold sleeve that is overtop of the axle tube, but free to rotate on the axle tube. The axle tube "floats" inside the sleeve.

The bottom strut bars are the bottom 2 links in the 4 link system.

On a race car, it is standard to use a Panard bar to keep the rear end from moving side-to-side. The fixed transaxle with the axle tubes hooked to it keep the wheels fixed side-to-side.

So, as the wheel and RGB moves up/down, the top spring plate and the bottom strut bar pivot and allow the to rise and fall in a basic straight line up and down instead of in a arc following the spring plate's arc.

That is my NOS JJ No Hop set up in the picture above.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
My Hi Jumper in my avatar has always had axle tube stiffeners without RGBs.

But yes, in a Johnny Johnson No-Hop kit, the axle sleeves ARE pivot tubes. The regular axle tube rides inside of the sleeve to rotate (I think that's a more fitting word than "spins") and thus let the 2nd link take up torque thrust to eliminate "hop" as one reduction gear tries to climb the other when power is applied.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see hope the tubes tie into the lower stiffener bar?

The green lower bar is not a "stiffener bar". It is a radius rod. It allows pivot at both ends. If you unbolt that green lower bar, the axle tube will pivot in the gold sleeve. As the axle moves up and down with suspension movement, the axle housing rotates inside the No-Hop sleeve (the gold tube).
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pedmick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Great write up!!! I am on my second no hop kit. 1st was on my glass buggy, and the latest is on my baja.
One problem I had on my glass buggy, was that eventually, the interference fit between the boxes and tubes loosened up, requiring a heliarc weld, and loctite to stop the leak.
I used adjustable length swedged tubes with heim joints to dial in the geometry, and these thing hook...Even in sand!
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

A have a very early version of the John Johnson No-Hop kit. I've been told the strut rods are from a Corvette.

I'm trying to find out what year Corvette so I can order adjustable ones.

BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

You think asking in this thread will get you more responses than what you got from your own last week?
Few ppl run RBG’s and even fewer are going to know what your control arms came off of, sorry to say but what answers you got is probably all there is right now until someone pops in thats either new or old and hasn’t been on here in a while. I highly doubt anyone will know though, no pics of the kits ive seen ( and ive done a bunch of research) has had the ones like yours, they’ve all been the rec tubing ones.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Make your own adjustable links. You can even improve them with heim joints.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Yea already suggested that so did BFB we live in 2023 parts can be ordered online or bought locally here in SOCAL. Adjustable links can be made in a Saturday morning with some coffee a two car garage equipped with basic fab tools. TheFladge has owned his baja for 35plus years yet struggles with simple problems. d'oh!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

I thought the later versions are the ones with the vette arms as they are boxed.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Looks like the early ones are C3 vette 82-94

More info on measurements here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502694
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Wish someone would re pop those. I think there is still a market for them. Id buy a set
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Admin time:
Let's not get into personal insults.
I did some clean up
If you can't provide direct help, ignore the additional questions.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

[quote="AlteWagen"]I thought the later versions are the ones with the vette arms as they are boxed.

The Corvette rod type are a later version. You can see an adjustable Corvette type rod on the center picture of the late 70s catalog page. The Corvette rod is longer, 16.5" vs. the rectangular rod 12".

In the first picture you can see the rear attach bracket for the control rod was also redesigned to be more vertical to fit the longer Corvette control arms.

I believe the catalog picture shows an unfinished prototype, notice the rear bolts on the spring plate/axle tube sleeve are missing and it still has the same rear bracket as the rectangular tube version. It also has a control rod with threaded rod ends instead of the Corvette rod which was sold with the kit

On the final version, the sleeve on the axle tube is several inches longer than earlier versions and the mount plate which connects the sleeve to the spring plate has five bolts vs. the earlier version's three.

Last edited by BL3Manx on Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

At the top, the picture shows the earlier version left side rear bracket with the shorter rectangular rod

Center is the later version left side rear bracket with the longer Corvette rods

Below is a later version axle tube sleeve with zirc fitting and five bolt holes in the mount plate

thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
At the top, the picture shows the earlier version left side rear bracket with the shorter rectangular rod

Center is the later version left side rear bracket with the longer Corvette rods

Below is a later version axle tube sleeve with zirc fitting and five bolt holes in the mount plate

Interesting. I thought the top one was the later design.

So, my style is the one in the middle and it also uses the five bolt axle tube sleeve.

Now I just need to figure out what year Corvette that rod is from.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

I've read 74 is 16 3/8 and 77 is 16 9/16".

If you are going to use the rods as a jig to weld the brackets on the torsion housing, either should work.

If you are looking for a rod to fit previously welded on brackets, you need a threaded adjustable one

A threaded adjustable one is also probably helpful for setting your rear wheel toe in
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

I hope its OK to mention this here, as Im hoping to help someone. I have a very nice set of swing axle over tubes that I was going to use to make a no-hop kit. I sold my rgb trans and boxes, but still have these tubes.

Im hoping someone can use them.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

DOM tubing chuck it in the lathe 45deg chamfer the ends drill a hole or two pound in the threaded inserts. Plug weld and run a bead around the ends, Let cool paint with Rust-Oleum cheesecake job. What's the problem????
Michael1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Can you guys help a german to understand the function /setup of the kit?
Does it use beetle spring plates? I have to pull rgb s from the axle tubes and install the slip over tubes ? I so understand the lower strut part.
Does it use beetle axles tubes ? You loose the rubber mounts for
Axle movement ?
Please help me Wink
I can build it by myself once i understand the function
Regards
Michael
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Michael1,
To install the over the axle tube pivots you have to press off the outer castings and also cut if I remember correctly (since it was in 1975 last done this) 1/2in off the end casting for clearance of spring plate.
Both my Dad and did this with our Baja Bugs.
The tubing was slip fit over axle tubes and an exhaust flange was welded to slip over tubing to bolted to spring plate. Also added was a boss and Zerk fitting to add grease inside tubing to lube it. As the tubing rotates on the Bus axle tube.
The lower strut I used was off a 1970s Volvo. This strut and front mount that make and weld to torsions has to be very strong as it has a lot of torque applied to it.
I sure you could find some kind strut in a wrecking yard that would work. Or make your own using thick wall tubing and Delrin bushings. Would recommend a Grade 8 or 12.9 rated bolts to hold strut in place
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
boxertje53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: John Johnson Nop Hop Reduction Gear Box Setup Measurements Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: