Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
The air dam was installed going down at interstate highway speeds.

Did you attend the Keanu Reeves School of Auto Repair? Laughing
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Syncro Jael wrote:
The air dam was installed going down at interstate highway speeds.

Did you attend the Keanu Reeves School of Auto Repair? Laughing

Yeah, that reads different than my thoughts.

It would be interesting though! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

Hmmm, I was just reviewing Maxtraxx self-rescue ramps. They're about 46" long by 15" tall.

I wonder if the lower front bumper is a good storage spot for the ramps while doubling up in the benefit of creating an air dam? A creative solution would have the ramps stored in a down position for the air dam and an up position (hinged? Etc?) for off raid travel.

Hinges mounted to the bumper > some sort of clamping/attachment device to connect the hinge to the ramp and then some sort of securing mechanism for up or down travel modes.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

I could see doing this with a hoop of stiff metal rod, both ends hinged at the back where they join the undercarriage, acting as a frame for some very stiff heavy fabric. Lower the hoop, the fabric stretches tight and forms the dam wall. Lift it up, the fabric folds up and you have all the clearance under the bumper. The lowering/lifting mechanism could be done any number of ways and wouldn't be hard to make it remotely controlled from inside the cab.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

Yeah, a convertible top fabric would be perfect.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe forward-facing, spring-loaded.
Where the wind pressure folds it down at 40MPH,
then it spring-retracts when you slow down.
How much off-road is over 40mph?

But damped, so it can't oscillate like the (fibreglas) westy cargo unit above... Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

My contribution to this thread.

Not the prettiest but it is probably the cheapest. I actually wanted it about an additional inch lower but I messed up. Oh well, I could always add a rubber edge if I feel like experimenting.

Initial impressions are that it is now quieter and smoother. I'll wait to see if I notice a improvement in MPG but I am making a lot of other changes that I don't think it will ever be conclusive. On the initial run it did appear that my EGTs were about 100F lower than normal so that would mean less power consumed. Stability in gusts seems improved as well.

Oil temp went up about 10F from 220 to 231F for some reason. Maybe less air flow over the sump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
***UPDATE***

I'm going to hijack a bit here. I'm curious about your trailer hitch mount. It looks like you're using the stock bumpers correct? I assume it's for a winch, do you find the stock bumpers to have enough strength for that?

How did you mount it?

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
My contribution to this thread.

Not the prettiest but it is probably the cheapest. I actually wanted it about an additional inch lower but I messed up. Oh well, I could always add a rubber edge if I feel like experimenting.

Initial impressions are that it is now quieter and smoother. I'll wait to see if I notice a improvement in MPG but I am making a lot of other changes that I don't think it will ever be conclusive. On the initial run it did appear that my EGTs were about 100F lower than normal so that would mean less power consumed. Stability in gusts seems improved as well.

Oil temp went up about 10F from 220 to 231F for some reason. Maybe less air flow over the sump.

Your van looks kick-ass any more pictures? Also what did you make the dam out of?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Your van looks kick-ass any more pictures? Also what did you make the dam out of?

Why thank you. It's normal 22 or 20 gauge sheet metal. I sprayed it with rubberized rocker guard. I folded tabs at the top and drove those in with big sheet metal screws.

Here is my thread.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
I'm going to hijack a bit here. I'm curious about your trailer hitch mount. It looks like you're using the stock bumpers correct? I assume it's for a winch, do you find the stock bumpers to have enough strength for that? How did you mount it?

I added steel stringers sideways across the front of the van. These step up to the height of the metal just under the stock bumper. Each layer is welded together and welded to the body metal. Then the hitch is welded onto the top. The front bumper is notched for the receiver.

(2)two large bolts go through the bumper, stringers, and body steel to secure the stock bumper.

I have used the winch on this receiver mount several times. It is solid.

a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I added steel stringers sideways across the front of the van. These step up to the height of the metal just under the stock bumper. Each layer is welded together and welded to the body metal. Then the hitch is welded onto the top. The front bumper is notched for the receiver.

(2)two large bolts go through the bumper, stringers, and body steel to secure the stock bumper.

I have used the winch on this receiver mount several times. It is solid.

Thanks! If you have any more pics of the actual underlying stringer etc I'd love to see them.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

I was reminded of this thread because of an aerodynamics thread in the Bay forum.

Just curious if any of you have been driving around this summer with your air dams and how they're working out?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I was reminded of this thread because of an aerodynamics thread in the Bay forum.

Just curious if any of you have been driving around this summer with your air dams and how they're working out?

Anytime I know I am traveling a lot of highway miles, I will install the air dam. At highways speeds 60+ mph, it makes a noticeable difference in cooling efficiency and driving aerodynamics. The van tracks better at higher speeds. Possibly this is due to the increased vehicle lift and the GW skid plate? I dunno.

Worth the time to bolt it up.
bene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

Inspired by Jael's original post in this thread, I built a version of this for my van last Christmas and drove a couple thousand miles with it this spring.

Since it was an experiment, I built the thing as simply/cheaply as possible. It's a pair of 4" x .5" PVC interior trim boards and 6" Simpson corner framing brackets.

I made some other changes to the van around the same time, so it's difficult to tease out if it had much effect on mileage. I have a turbo diesel, so my mileage was already pretty good, and it is highly correlated with overall speed. If I drive 55 MPH and it's not too windy, I can easily get 27-28 MPG. I added a water-air intercooler around the same time, and that let me push the engine much harder without running high exhaust gas temps. It's now possible to drive 65-70 MPH for long stretches and that drives mileage down to the 22-24 MPG range.

The WAIC also muddied the picture on the engine cooling aspect. AAZs run hot and managing the temps have been part of all the changes I have made to the van over the last year or two, and it's really hard to tell if the air dam made much difference there.

What I can definitively say is that the air dam has made the van feel significantly more stable on the highway, especially at "high speed" (65-70) and more resistant to crosswinds, buffeting from passing trucks, etc. Prior to the air dam, it was definitely possible to drive 65+, but it didn't feel very comfortable to do so. Without power steering, you had to expend a lot of attention/energy to staying on track, especially when it was windy, and the air dam has really alleviated that issue. Tracking is much more stable, so the van is less tiring to drive, and it was a big win in that sense.

The air dam cost about $40 including the can of black spray paint, and it took a couple hours to bang together. For the cost and effort and positive effect on the handling and overall driveability, I highly recommended this modification.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

I love this mod and hope to try a version of it soon. Thanks for bringing this up again with your version.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

I just did a 1000km flat towing a car behind me. Needle stayed steady in the same spot as always. But, I have a TD converted to TDI so over heating is not really a concern for me.

The biggest improvement for me was noise. I'm curious if 'bene' noticed a change in noise.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

I just did a 1000km flat towing a car behind me. Needle stayed steady in the same spot as always. But, I have a TD converted to TDI so over heating is not really a concern for me.

The biggest improvement for me was noise. I'm curious if 'bene' noticed a change in noise.

Well, now that's interesting.

What sort of noise do you think was reduced Wind noise from below? Or something different?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
bene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

I did not notice any change in wind noise. I have a solar panel filling most of the luggage rack over the front seats, so it was probably a little quieter than most Westys, and I have all new window seals, so maybe that makes a difference too.

In any case the AAZ is fantastically loud, and without A/C I drive around with the windows down most of the time anyway. With all of those factors, I'm not sure I would have noticed a reduction in the wind noise.
bene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Air Dam - Substantial Temperature Drop Reply with quote

Since this thread seems to have become the definitive one for air dam experiments, here's version 2 of mine after I crushed the first one on a steep driveway entrance. 3/4" PVC exterior trim and stainless steel screws:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: