Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

Picked up a set of weber Italy 44idf carbs at a swap meet, they came with standard DP manifolds.. The outside was pretty dirty so I assume they came off a buggy or baja. Inside was pretty clean though.

My last big project was EFI so I am a little rusty when it comes to carbs.

I would like to refresh then put them on a stock 1600 DP w/ 1-1/2 header ? and start from there. I am about 300' above sea level.

They currently have:
135 main
175 air
50 idle
36 vents
F7 emuls

What do I have and what do I need?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

44 IDF's are way too big for a stock 1600. It will never run right.

If you want to throw money at it and try them start with some 28mm venturies and F11 emulsion tubes.

1 1/2" exhaust is also too big for a stock 1600.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

Okay better question then..

What engine would these have been on with that jetting setup?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

Maybe a 2L.
And ditto with what racer Dave, said, probably better off getting some 40 idf or better yet 36 dellorto's.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

Engine size does not matter. Dual Weber 44 IDF's can support from around 125 HP up to 180 HP.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

So may be a 1600 with an FK-10 Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

The 1600 was just a thought since I already have it as a spare motor..

If I need to build something bigger to play with these carbs I will. I have a set of heads cut for 92s on the shelf, stock size valves I think. A few other odds and ends but will need to acquire a bottom end and case.

So something around a 2110 would be a good fit?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

risk wrote:

yes 44's would work ok on a 2110. But if it were on the milder side, Id probably still use 40 IDFs. If you build the 2110 to turn some higher rpms, then the 44's would be advantageous.

not everyone agrees, but in my opinion carb selection is based on venturi (choke) selection. If an engine will run best for its application (street/offroad/drag strip) with a 32 venturi, then a 40 IDF is a much better choice than a 44. If the engine wants 36 venturis, then the 44 idf is much better. Mismatching venturi to carb bore size is not much fun for tuning and performance.

if you literally want to build an engine around your existing carbs, then you're looking at 36 venturis which would run great on a big street engine, or a higher revving small engine.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap Meet Weber 44IDFs Reply with quote

sled wrote:
risk wrote:

yes 44's would work ok on a 2110. But if it were on the milder side, Id probably still use 40 IDFs. If you build the 2110 to turn some higher rpms, then the 44's would be advantageous.

not everyone agrees, but in my opinion carb selection is based on venturi (choke) selection. If an engine will run best for its application (street/offroad/drag strip) with a 32 venturi, then a 40 IDF is a much better choice than a 44. If the engine wants 36 venturis, then the 44 idf is much better. Mismatching venturi to carb bore size is not much fun for tuning and performance.

if you literally want to build an engine around your existing carbs, then you're looking at 36 venturis which would run great on a big street engine, or a higher revving small engine.

I agree. If a 2110 I would use a healthy cam like a fk8/web86b or something else that will rev past 6000 rpm. Or just go bigger on the motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: