Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn find Westy SO42
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Barn find Westy SO42 Reply with quote

this is a project that I have been chasing for several years and finally nailed it down, it's taken me 6 weeks to clear out all of the vehicles.

This was an all or nothing deal, the seller said that I must take them all, so it took me about 5 Saturdays to get them home .

there were 4 vehicles in the hanger and one more in the sellers garage.

here is what I saw when I first got to the location:
a 56 sedan, a 61 sedan, a 69 sedan and a 67 so42 in the hangar and in his personal garage a 57 ragtop that had been restored probably 20 years ago so of course needed work.

all of these cars were pretty much stuck, tires dry rotted many years ago , brakes rusted as you can imagine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

on the third week, after purchasing 16 tires, we finally rigged up a trailer with a winch and went after the westy, since it had to come out first.

a week later we went back after the 56 and pulled it home with a tow bar .

it actually rolled but the front wheel bearing was very loose, I tightened it us as much as I could but was a bit worried about it since we were towing 200 miles one way. it was a little warm but made it

a week after that we decided to get the last 3 at the same time, one on the trailer and 2 with tow bars . all of the last 3 required removing the rear brake drums and stripping off all the brake hardware, since brakes were frozen tight.

I realize these aren't all split window buses so I might have to move this post but I really couldn't find a forum that would cater to all these different vw's.

got em all home except the 69, my buddy wanted that one.

i'll start a new post covering the 67 so42 as I begin to dig into it.

my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

nice finds perhaps you should put some bus pics in the bus hunting thread?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164642
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Nice scores!

This is probably the best place for it if the SO42 was your main score and what you wanted most of all.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Thats a great score! Congratulations!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

hopefully you got a good price and can sell the beetles and end up with a free Westy.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
westcoastbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

the people in the canoe should be wearing vest...

other than that nice SO42

TEAM AUOK 1984 SKATEBOARD CO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Nice haul, congrats!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

There are certain features of the Westy that make it appear to be a late '67. When you get a chance can you post up the vin or look it up and post up the build date?

Original and rare intake manifold may indicate original engine if you want to post up engine number.

Does it have the tent?

Can you post a photo of how the table top clips to the floor at the wall area when you get a chance?
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
There are certain features of the Westy that make it appear to be a late '67. When you get a chance can you post up the vin or look it up and post up the build date?

Original and rare intake manifold may indicate original engine if you want to post up engine number.

Does it have the tent?

Can you post a photo of how the table top clips to the floor at the wall area when you get a chance?

BarryL,

the M Code is as Follows:

26 4

425 b42 080 108

uk 2313 523907 vin######

as for the Engine, I am not sure of it's originality, while it is an "H" motor the numbers appear to have been scratched partially off, and I'll have a better look at them later, it also has a 28 PIC-1 carb which I don't believe to be correct for a 67.

as for the Tent, no tent or Rack was found at the site, however I do see the railing for tent on the drip rail. and the M code says its a B42.

as for the Table details, table top has a solid brass male piece that would press fit into a female spring portion or something but the female part is missing. it might be in one of the cabinets, I have found a few pieces in the cabinets, while I was ripping out the old shag carpeting.

I'll have more details later.
Current Projects :
67 Westfalia
61 sedan
94 Harley Flstn
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Oh wow, look at that flooring under the carpet!
The interior is amazingly intact. New wood panels, deal with some small cosmetic stuff and you might be good to go.
Interior paint looks really nice. Should clean up well with just some touch-up. Great find.
As you probably know, a B42 had everything--poptop, rack, tent.
Looking forward to more pics.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Agree, stunning original flooring, I didn't realize that metal strip on the back was part of the kit. Why did Westfalia not move the outlet over a bit?

Major Woody wrote:
Oh wow, look at that flooring under the carpet!
The interior is amazingly intact. New wood panels, deal with some small cosmetic stuff and you might be good to go.
Interior paint looks really nice. Should clean up well with just some touch-up. Great find.
As you probably know, a B42 had everything--poptop, rack, tent.
Looking forward to more pics.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Agree, stunning original flooring, I didn't realize that metal strip on the back was part of the kit. Why did Westfalia not move the outlet over a bit?

Nice red Westy! That linoleum is amazing. Linda, that seat probably has slipped aft a bit.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Got it thanks Craig.

Craig wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Nice red Westy! That linoleum is amazing. Linda, that seat probably has slipped aft a bit.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

early wrote:
BarryL wrote:

BarryL,

as for the Table details, table top has a solid brass male piece that would press fit into a female spring portion or something but the female part is missing. it might be in one of the cabinets, I have found a few pieces in the cabinets, while I was ripping out the old shag carpeting.

Wow, thanks. You can see where it was screwed to the floor. I hope you find the female part and hopefully the little piece of elevation wood.
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

well, I haven't posted in awhile, so I thought it time for an update:

I sold off the 56 sedan for a good price and focused on the 57 ragtop,

had to rebuild the fuel pump, the 58 PCI carb, did the basic tune up stuff plugs points condenser, adjusted valves, cleaned the fuel line and added a new fuel tank and added a new 6volt battery.

got it running and after a bit of tweaking was surprised! it started right up and was running quite nice. I put some brakes on and continued to get it into some kind of condition so I could get it out of my way... I needed the garage space. Smile

I wanted to focus on the SO42 bus , since that was my goal at the beginning of this project.

with the 57 running I moved them to a friends barn for storage and proceeded to begin the bus project .

with the bus in the garage, I began cleaning , power washing and removing the years of crud and sand.

this bus had been used as a runner on the beach on the Current River at Van Buren Missouri, the owner hadn't even processed the Title or registered license plates, it was just ran on the beach for a few years , taking people down to the beach and back from their property.

so I don't even think it was ran on the highways while in his possession .

my first thought was to pull the engine, and get the running gear in order First, before beginning any body work of any sort. well that seems to have been sidetracked a bit.

I pulled the engine, which is a Factory replacement block, with no numbers other than an "H" but has Single Port heads and all the rest of the goodies that would have been on the original 1500,.

after a leakdown test it was determined that this engine was not going to be good to go any time soon.

at that point I pulled the engine out of the 61, which had a 1974 1600 dual port with mostly original stuff ( heck it even still had the original EGR stuff ), except the Fywheel and generator which had been replaced with 6 volt parts so as to work in the 61.

this engine with a leak down test and compression test proved to be healthy.

after some cleaning, valve adjustment , oil change and normal tune stuff I was able to run this engine on the garage floor. I was amazed it would run this good after sitting in a barn for 20 years but heck , it is a Volkswagen !

so original plan was to put engine in, get it running to determine if the Bus Transaxle was any good. My concern was that this Bus had been ran on the beach in the sand and gravel with not much care. the transaxle boots were both torn and after draining the gearbox , I realized it was about half capacity. so a bit low, but I didn't get any sand so that was positive.

so , on to brakes because , well it had sat for 20 years right ?
new master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake shoes , wheel bearings, turned brake drums as normal.

so I decided to replace the Shocks while i'm at it and maybe the Tie Rods while i'm in there.

well while removing the Driver side shock I BREAK the Stud off of the Control arm, yes , bust the threads right off of the stud. well this bus has sat for 20 years so Every bolt thread from here on out has to be addressed as a Rusty curmudgeon.

well , it had a kinda loose king pin on the driver side , so I thought I might just go ahead and pull the Spindles and see what was going on and how I was going to resolve the Shock Stud in the Control arm.

I made a phone call to a friendly SAMBA member whom Rebuilds King Pins and he mentioned that he had spare Control arms . nice. as I was prepared to find a machine shop that could pull the pin and replace.

sent off the Complete spindles for him to rebuild where necessary:

pics of the old king pins, I thought there was a bit of play , note the rusty king pin !

so after a nice rebuild with new german parts weeks later i'm on my way, I still haven't installed them at this point :

so,... on to some background work:

this is the M code stuff :

other body pics :

I started to cut out the right side rocker panel and floor to begin repairs:

and I will say that I am very thankful to the SAMBA folks before me whom have made these repairs and have posted their process, it has been very helpful and inspirational as well.

we cut out the rocker, inner rocker, and decided that an outrigger and top hat were also in order as well as rear wheelhouse front section , B pillar and C Pillar as well as 11" section fo floor to follow:

Current Projects :
67 Westfalia
61 sedan
94 Harley Flstn
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

nice!
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Nice Score !!!!!! Lots of Westy info here on thesamba.
Looks like you did the "Vermont thing" and have Vt. plates on the oval

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Yea! Keep up the good work. Popcorn
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Im liking how you are getting after it all. And, doing it the right way. We will be watching.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Original seal!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: