Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Welded connecting rods
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

Yes I know "crazy " ... ..ive was looking around the internet and was just looking around and found this ..
http://www.dlkweb.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5970
Seems like in the 60s guys were welding big end 36hp rods and welded 40 or 1500 rod small end for a custom ratio rod and seems like they welded the i beam of the rod for strength "h beam style " ... does any of you old timers have experience with those type of welded rods and how safe were they ??? I love how guys in those days weren't scared to do the unthinkable...
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

I looked into doing this, and found a few shops that have and do still weld them. Mainly used in the vintage tractor pulling world.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

Yep, since most OE conrods are just good quality mild steel.....they can be welded.
I think it would work fine.
Why do you never see it done.......
it's "unthinkable" .... only because nobody has ever thought to ask. Wink
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

I was always thinking about tacking the rod bolt heads, my self Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

Yeah I can see where a couple of pieces of flat sheet metal with a good weld will in fact make an "I" beam "H" beam hybrid rod almost bomb proof ,albeit a bit heavier.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

I thought about having the rod bolt holes of the 36hp rod welded and redrilled and tapped for smaller bolts 1.4x 1/4 bolts so that it would have better clearance for a bigger lobe ...but I told that if I did that the rods would fail but who knows if they would ...
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

I think I would go with the larger stock thread diameter ,and just modify the depth of the threads in the cap and use a allen or twelve point external "aka arp "rod bolt. That alone if adjusted correctly should achieve the room you need to clear the cam.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

I beam rods w/sheetmetal 'caps' welded over the beam, V8 stuff, show up at old car swap meets once in a while. VW rods are old school heavy 'clubs' by comparison to anything modern. With the availability of inexpensive and decent quality Chinese H beams, you don't see the rods when you pop the decklid, so why bother?
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Welded connecting rods Reply with quote

Hey, If MacGyver could do it with a half dollar as the welding rod any body with a flux core welder should be able to handle it fine!

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: