Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When will it end?
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug-ugly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: When will it end? Reply with quote

Hello fellow Samba visitors,

I have this car that I built and while it is a fun car, I've never been totally satisfied with it. The direction of the build changed, changed again and here it is about to change (hopefully) once more. This isn't really about the car up to this point, but I feel some back story is necessary.

The car started life with nothing but it's heart. It's a 12A rotary which has some aftermarket pieces and, supposedly, has had a mild porting job done. I purchased the engine with a HD bug trans of unknown origin and the associated Kennedy adapter pieces. It is out of the November 2007 HotVW's cover car (where is the puke emoji?).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Moving forward, I picked up a titled '71 rolling chassis from local craigslist. Around the same time, my brother acquired a '66 for parts. He only wanted the pan from this car, so I separated the body and put it on my pan. I had an idea to build the car as a gasser.

I built a Lakewood style roll bar and aluminum dash and door panels. Installed a single poly racing seat, 5pt. harness, battery box, etc., etc. After starting the engine for the first time, I just couldn't see the car as a gasser. 8000 RPM sounds wicked but the idle sounds as mean as a kitten. Plus the idea was starting to sound weird to me. Gassers need a fire breathing V8 perched high above a dainty straight axle.

I lost steam on the project for a while. I tried selling the car or parting it out but people only wanted the N.I.B. windshield or the pop out quarter windows. Or they wanted to trade for clapped out Harley Sportsters. I had to get motivated again so I did what everyone else does and lowered the car. I wanted to be different but a Cal-look stance just looks so right.

I finished the wiring and closing in the package tray and a bunch of other small details and took it out to the track. I mean, I drove it to work a few times and around the block but I pretty much took it straight to the track. I found out that I suck at drag racing but the car will run a high 14 second quarter mile as is. 100 mph at the top of third gear at the end of the track. I could run smaller slicks, change the R&P and practice but... drag racing's not for me.

I thought about autocross. I have a friend who races autocross and hill climb with water cooled VW's. It's interesting. I'm sure it's fun. Not much more investment, either... What? $1200 in wheels and tires? Maybe install a prop. valve in the brake system? Not to offend anyone but two phrases come to mind: Nothing worth doing is easy and if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I used to curse myself everyday for building this car instead of another hot rod. But it is a hot rod... just an odd ball. I thought about building a volksrod. I've always wanted to. I have the skills now. But.. the radiator. Where will the radiator go? Smaller is not an option. Besides, I hated driving my '27 T on the street. I hate driving my old truck in traffic. I don't need a hot car for the street. I like my Camry, it's comfortable. Shocked

So now what do I do with the car? It's completely gutted and, between a Carter marine pump, the gear whine from the strapped trans and 8000 RPM of screaming rotors, it's noisy as hell! Not to mention that there is no heat or wipers or radio or cup holders or passenger seat or speedometer or fuel gauge... you get the point- it's not a fun car on the street.

So... what will I do with this hot rod bastard bug that nobody wants? Here's a hint: I bought a CB radio. For my truck. Twisted Evil
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: When will it end? Reply with quote

I dig it, and the rare Ford truck.😀,And the kool 5 slot mags.
bug-ugly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: When will it end? Reply with quote

Thanks. The car is fun out on the back roads but I have other plans for it. The future plan will include a full roll cage. I will tack it together but I will enlist the help of a friend who is a qualified TIG welder for final welding. Everything else, I'll build myself like usual. While I am capable with a buzz box, I know I am not the world's best fabricator.

The body is pretty solid. There is rust in the heater channels but there will be no heater channels when I'm done. The front right quarter was the worst of it, I think. The lower door hinge was stuck and had fatigued the inner A pillar structure to the point of breakage. I got a nice bondo surprise when I dug into that repair.

With any luck, I'll have the windows, seat and roll bar out of the car and ready to brace for the chop by the end of the day. Yes, there will be a radical chop happening. Don't want to give too much away just yet. Wink
bug-ugly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: When will it end? Reply with quote

Well, some work is happening. On a previous weekend, I got all the windows out. The day after that, a friend came over and we got the seat and roll bar out.

Today, I put on the coveralls, went out in the cold and wire wheeled the paint off of most of the pillars. I ran out of wire wheel on the passenger door, pushed it inside. I'll get a new wheel and finish it tomorrow. I'm also planning on getting the body braced tomorrow.

I have a plan to build a S.C.T.A. legal F/GCC, heavily inspired by Dick Beith's chopped Bonneville racer. I have some sketches that I've made, some calculations and a couple of contacts but the real commitment will be next weekend, when some actual sparks fly.

Planning on a 'Capella Chop'. If anyone has specific info on figuring out the sail panel wedge, that would be appreciated.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: When will it end? Reply with quote

Having sat in Dick's car all I can say is I hope you are better at finishing metal Laughing. It's a freakin cool car though, lots of neat things and Dick is one hell of a guy to talk to. SO many stories, definitely a cool cat.

One thing I always thought would be cool to do to a race car was do a big chop and then instead of sectioning the roof, narrow the body to fit the roof pillars. That way you cheat the wind with a reduction in both height and width.

brad
bug-ugly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: When will it end? Reply with quote

Well, she's been braced up for about a month now. Then I bought a snowmobile and I've been playing with that. I did make a few drawings. Maybe I'll get those scanned soon.

To be SCTA legal, production bodies may not be altered in "height, width or contour." Some classes (comp coupe) allow a roof chop but the width of the body and contour of the roof must remain unchanged. I have a Capella chop planned. It should be relatively easy, though. I won't be lengthening the roof, rather leaning the A-pillars back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: