Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 SB front end?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

I want to renew my front struts and perhaps lower the front an inch or two.

I watched Jbugs you tube instruction video. I think I can handle the job. I did a search on this forum and could not find pertinent discussion. If you could please link a thread, thanks.

Before I do this project can you offer any advice Thank You.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

These guys are the super beetle experts.
https://toplineparts.com

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

I would agree: TopLine for any Super Beetle front end stuff
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Completely rebuilt my front end with topline parts. Great stuff. Make sure to get the brass idler arm bushing.
John French
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Checkout my ads. I am selling brand new lower ball joints, upper strut bearings and 2" lowering sport springs for a lot less than new. I just went with a whole new front suspension setup and have these left over. You can easily do this work yourself.

John French
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Yep, on Topline talk with Topline John.. He is the main guy there and knows his Super Stuff....

If you do go Topline, talk with him on Excell-G's Strut Cartridges to see if this is the performance you are searching for while putting in new stuff, plus lowering.. Then on the back, it is just New Shock Swaps... Excellent-G's of course to have matched suspension...

Here is what mine turned out too... Works and performs excellent.. All Topline, Rear Sway Bar, Plus Bigger Sway Bar on Front, and Sturt Brace...... RB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

For additional reading:

"The official Super Beetle lowering topic" from the FAQs/Stickies

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143097

For some tips on how to get better/more accurate results from your searching see this link:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704584&highlight=
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

[quote="AlmostHeavenWV_VW"]For additional reading:

"The official Super Beetle lowering topic" from the FAQs/Stickies

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143097

Thanks for the link.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

RailBoy nice super beetle.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

vwoldbug, Thanks, yes a lot of work has gone into it.. Everything had been touched with the exception of the rear torsion bar bushings & Paint. Just to give you a hint how much has gone into it... lol, Built 2 liter+ as well.... Smile Zoom-Zoom.... RB
w.mainhotrods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

need any advice let me know, we did this last year on my 72 super.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 beetle-project #2 started 3/1/20-back on the road!!!
1972 super beetle-project #1 on the road!!
2002 Jetta 1.8T (son's college driver)
2001 JETTA 1.8T sold
1970 beetle-sold 2009
1963 beetle-sold 2009
1964 bus-sold 2009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Topline it is. While I am at it I may as well do the whole front end.
Before I place my parts order any suggestions?
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Yep, Check you Tie Rods for Tightness to see if they need to replace, especially the top one that everything connects too.

Also, get your bearings on your steering box. It was soon quickly found on my Super that the Steering Box could not keep a setting and with all new bushings and everything on the front end, the steering box from what we gather was so worn, that the New Front End was making the week link, worn out steering box was the culprit. It got replaced with an OEM that was sitting on a shelf for 35 years, lol.. Oh, why you got everything apart as well, check the steering shaft U-joint Shaft what ever it is called. It has a U-Joint on each end...

Also, as I mentioned before when speaking with Topline, see what they say on upgrading your Shocks from Oil to Gas, the Excell G's.... It is a good time to assemble the new struts up front with the Excell G's is all.... And also, do a rear sway bar plus the front Strut Tower Brace in the front trunk...

You will see a big difference in handling, and tighten up everything, and a well tracking car vs. original... RB
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Looks like I am in for a lot of work. I will order the parts and get my tools ready.
I will wait until this season is over because I am driving my car everyday while the weather is good. This will be a rainy day project come summer. Thanks.
robcy04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Do not forget to add the Caster Fix Bushings, and Camber+ Kit from TopLine. I purchase all new everything for the front end, and it would not align once lowered. Those two pieces allowed the alignment to spec correctly. Also the Brake line Clamp kit was a great add on.
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

I wonder about the sense of putting another $1000 in a car most people think is worth $2500. LOL...What the hell? In for a pence in for a pound. I may as well make it the best it can be.
Where does it stop? You guys like to spend my money. ; )
robcy04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

randayn wrote:
I wonder about the sense of putting another $1000 in a car most people think is worth $2500. LOL...What the hell? In for a pence in for a pound. I may as well make it the best it can be.
Where does it stop? You guys like to spend my money. ; )

I feel ya. Its a rabbit hole of fixing, updating, improving. One thing changed shows what the next thing needed is. My current car has two little budgets. 1 is the maintenance and repair, and 2 is the upgrades I want. Usually the things I want get put aside by the things it needs, and every project ends up being twice as complex, and three times as expensive.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Just echoing what was said. Anymore I install 3 or 4 Topline kits every year at the shop. Jon will let you know what all you need and the kit is pretty much complete.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 SB front end? Reply with quote

Note. I must say Google is amazing. Now every time I sign on to the internet I am getting side ads for lowering kits for a Super Beetle. LOL.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: