Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Very exited to let you all know I have taken it upon me to breath new life into the 'Apfelbeck project' my mates have already put so much time and effort into!

In short: I have 3 old (non-usable) castings, a set of digitalised CAD-CAM files of heads and casting molds and most parts for the cam-drive.
So, to get an idea what it looks like, I mocked it up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of the original castings (yes, its a large head volume!):

The heads on one bank will be rigidly connected by a thick plate:

Pictured with individual TB's, but I noticed the inlet bore spacing is _very_ close to that of 48IDA's, so I might have a manifold fab up for IDA's since good quality IDA TB's are also available these days from several companies.

To sum up why I am so exited:
- OHC makes for low spring pressure high rev stability;
- 2 inlet valves canted make for great flow (old casting did 270-ish cfm on the 'smaller' 2x36mm valves at just 0,50"lift);
- large cooling fins with ample space between fins
- roller cam profile (with roller ratio rockers) like Ludwig Apfelbeck described in his tuning book.
- twin spark as standard;
- pentroof 3V design with still some squish locations should bring better mixture quality then the Porsche 911 half-sferical combustion chamber;
- equal length head studs makes for a more even clamping force;
- its a piece of history! The pictured castings were made with wooden models in the early seventies, late sixties already specifically for the VW type 4 engine!
- 230hp from a 2 liter engine was expected to be possible (from the tuning book), but on engine analyser-pro with our initial flow data imported, it seemed that 260hp was very possible!

Of course everything still has to be 'proven' in reality and I am a long way from being able to build a complete engine.
The casting models are being developed at the moment though, so things have been set in motion to make this a reality.

I am keeping a more detailled diary on FB on the project:
https://www.facebook.com/ApfelbeckOHC

Of course I'll keep you guys updated on the progress here with more major updates if there is still some type 4 love on here Wink.
Walter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Very cool! I remember reading through the website and thread over on STF years ago and thinking this would be super awesome when complete.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

sweet! those are nice!! I would change ( as I do everything) the chamber shape some at the ex valve sides so it flows better and has more quench area,get rid of the flat floor in the chamber around the seats. .that ex valve looks a bit big,as does the port. I would fill about 1/4 of the floor on the ex port too,possiably make it smaller rectangle so the flow has directional walls to keep it going the right way...or go 4 valve. all the hard work is done. Ive thought may times about going over head cam with my 910 heads, but Ive got too much into what I have already. Get to work and getter done!!
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers Mark! I never looked at it that way, but I think I see what you mean.
BTW, exhaust valve in this first set-up is 42mm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

They are very cool a d can support a lot of power.
I do not know if they still race, but there were a coupme of Austrian guys if memory serves, that raced with Apfelbaeck e gines in rallycross and short course hill climb. Those two engines pulled arou d 230 hp and didnt even rev that high. Around 7 grand.
Put those on a 2275 and Im sure 260hp is almost a walk in the park. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

I remember these from a long time ago. I always wondered what happened with it. I hope you get it finished. Must be a lot of time and money in that project by now.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

would a slight redesign and use a cam box like a 911 be worth the effort. I Just wonder how hard it will be to get and maintain the cam/bearing tolerance with the 2 seperate heads ,even with the stiffing plate/rocker cover .

Will it end up boosted Shocked Very Happy .
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Good to see that this is back. I am wondering if these heads could be fitted to a 101mm or 103mm bore engine and what would be the total power output running a 80mm crank.
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
would a slight redesign and use a cam box like a 911 be worth the effort. I Just wonder how hard it will be to get and maintain the cam/bearing tolerance with the 2 seperate heads ,even with the stiffing plate/rocker cover .

I think the charm of the original concept is also its compactness. With a separate cam box, the heads will build wider.
If an alu stiffening plate/rocker cover isn't enough, I could have it made from steel if needed, but I don't think its needed. And the cam bearing will partly be by needle bearings, so I thought to have understood those are a little more forgiving also.

Quote:

Will it end up boosted Shocked Very Happy .

The extreme efficientness of these heads should present itself best N/A.
Also with 300hp N/A capability (my personal expectation), the need for boost is less there of course Wink
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
I do not know if they still race, but there were a coupme of Austrian guys if memory serves, that raced with Apfelbaeck e gines in rallycross and short course hill climb. Those two engines pulled arou d 230 hp and didnt even rev that high. Around 7 grand.

You don't mean the Aichsleder brothers? Didn't one of them use old 911 heads?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

I’m in love Popcorn Wink
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

I’m in love Popcorn Laughing Wink
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Beetspeed wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

Walter, I´m not sure. I do remember one of the cars was green, and I think the other one was blue (1303´s)
I do remember that they were superior in autocross. Both cars and drivers actually. I especially remember one incident on a slighty long track where the driver of the green beetle did a 3rd gear 10 degree slide in a curve (on track slicks) while accellerating like mad. Those were the days Cool
I´m sidetracking. Back to topic.
T
PS. On second thought I may be wrong in that the green 1303 I remember was actually Holzapfel´s own car. I think you are correct that those brothers used Porsche heads on one engine and the other was a "regular" type 4.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Beetspeed wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

Walter, I´m not sure. I do remember one of the cars was green, and I think the other one was blue (1303´s)
I do remember that they were superior in autocross. Both cars and drivers actually. I especially remember one incident on a slighty long track where the driver of the green beetle did a 3rd gear 10 degree slide in a curve (on track slicks) while accellerating like mad. Those were the days Cool
I´m sidetracking. Back to topic.
T
PS. On second thought I may be wrong in that the green 1303 I remember was actually Holzapfel´s own car. I think you are correct that those brothers used Porsche heads on one engine and the other was a "regular" type 4.

Alstrup are these the guys you are talking about the blue car has 911 heads and the green is a 2.7ltr t4 there is also a grey car.

http://www.aichlseder.info/d_index.htm
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Any updates?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Actually, yes there are!

After sooo long, I finally have a new casted aircooled 3-valve twin spark OHC on my desk! Such a milestone!!

I was also very impressed with the sharp edges of the divider wall on the intake:

Next is the machining of one casting (they did two) to see if everything matches after we cast two more Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

THATS NEET!! kinda deep chamber for my likes, but depending on cc & induction most any depth will do. steep valve angles. getter done and flog it good!!!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Awesome!!! It would be cool to make a T4 case without the lower section where the cam and oil pump go for this head. Although relocating the oil pump would be tricky. Maybe put two smaller oil pumps in each head in that case.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Awesome!!! It would be cool to make a T4 case without the lower section where the cam and oil pump go for this head. Although relocating the oil pump would be tricky. Maybe put two smaller oil pumps in each head in that case.

The idea is to use a stock type 4 case without any modifications to the case. Oiling of the heads/cams would just use a take-off point from the case somewhere, seems no biggie. Oiling of the cams/heads is then planned from within the cams, i.e. hollow cams with small holes squirting rockers and springs. That will be the more/most(?) 'exiting/"interesting" plan to execute..
'Bolt-on' wrt the case would be the idea here.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 3-valve OHC type 4 (Apfelbeck) cylinderhead project Reply with quote

Tagged. This is gonna be amazing! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: