Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

Read plenty of posts for and against the WV service bulletin on notching the 2L GD connecting rods for better piston skirt lube, but couldnt find any pics of anybody doing this. Other than the the sketch in the service bulletin.

Decided that for Ryans engine rebuild, that I would do this mod and maybe throw some pics up for anyone else considering it. The bulletin has a rough sketch that shows a v notch with a depth of 1.5mm. Very non descript as far as location (other than a sketch), and dimensions. Mic’d up the original rod width at that point and notched with a hand triangle file, cleaned up with a jewelers round file, to 3 mm less than start width. Its not very precise of a measurement, but for hand filing to a tolerance of 1.5mm, i figure it will work.

We are fortunate that we have one of the few 2L cases that arent blown out and /or been rebuilt before. Standard bearings, no cut crank, and a modest cam replacement should bring this ole boy down the road feelin bad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

The mod is to get oil up into the piston and cylinder for added lubrication and cooling. I have decided that using a 3mm chainsaw file and making a "U" notch verses "V" makes sense.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

Agree on the “ u “. In fact I think it was based on one of your older posts about this mod that you mentioned the less stressful edges of a “u” vs “v” that led me to run my round file to finish. May not look it, but the edges are smooth and radiused.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

I imagine they wanted the V cut for a mist/dispersion pattern?
.....But I digress & frown upon this barbarity. Can't look.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

It's also for piston cooling as it sprays oil up to the bottom of the piston.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

There is very little pressure pushing the oil, it is mostly just the oil being thrown from the big end of the rod as the rod experiences acceleration towards the crankshaft over the top half of the stroke. All the notch does is encourage more oil to spin off towards the piston verses away from it.

FWIW a 1.5mm deep "V" cut has about 80% of the area of a 1.5mm deep "U" cut so there would not be much difference in pressure differential across the cut to do any misting.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:

There is very little pressure pushing the oil, it is mostly just the oil being thrown from the big end of the rod as the rod experiences acceleration towards the crankshaft over the top half of the stroke. All the notch does is encourage more oil to spin off towards the piston verses away from it.

FWIW a 1.5mm deep "V" cut has about 80% of the area of a 1.5mm deep "U" cut so there would not be much difference in pressure differential across the cut to do any misting.

It must be a safe mod, no one ever posted 2.0L rod failure @ the VW app'd
slot yet. : ) maybe I;ll do it to some 1800 rods first, wade intoit so to speak.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:

That's almost ENTIRELY what the TSB was for. It wasn't about rod failure, oil temps, or piston temps. The stock 2.0L pistons could smear their skirts on the cylinder walls from heat expansion in buses. Deletion of the "head gasket" sealing ring allowed heat to transfer into the cylinder sooner, which helped it expand/clear the piston, and the TSB-recommended piston/cylinder clearance was increased as well.

The 1700/1800 engines did not suffer the same failures as the 2.0 bus engines, so those rods do not need to be notched. The notch-sprayed oil is purely intended to cool/shrink the 2.0L pistons.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

This is how I found this engine when opened up. Maybe it helps avoid this from happening, along with the shim and piston clearance.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:

That's almost ENTIRELY what the TSB was for. It wasn't about rod failure, oil temps, or piston temps. The stock 2.0L pistons could smear their skirts on the cylinder walls from heat expansion in buses. Deletion of the "head gasket" sealing ring allowed heat to transfer into the cylinder sooner, which helped it expand/clear the piston, and the TSB-recommended piston/cylinder clearance was increased as well.

The 1700/1800 engines did not suffer the same failures as the 2.0 bus engines, so those rods do not need to be notched. The notch-sprayed oil is purely intended to cool/shrink the 2.0L pistons.

Robbie

I see zero harm in notching the 1700 and 1800 rods, if doing so gives a 5°F cooler piston at the top of a long western climb, it is worth it in my book.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

What about the increased heat in the oil cast off the pistons afterwards? The smaller Type 4’s typically run at a higher RPM which can result in higher oil temperatures. No science here, just speculating on the internet. Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

myself and colin K just disassembled my 2L fi bus engine to find 1- 3 scored cylinders that were apparently causing quite the noisy ruckus and 2- 4 un-notched connecting rod re: tsb # whatever could that be the cause and effect?

oh and i forgot to mention the engine had been assembled by our local 'expert' vw engine builder and it only had 2100 miles on it
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

that problem is most likely too much heat related. Mixture, timing, amount of air cooling the fins etc.. Lack of all the tin can do it too. Pushing the engine too hard in a sustained manner can also do it. or the guy who put it together could have not been as clean as needed. I do have to wonder, was that the bottom side of the piston? If so were the under cylinder tins in place? Were the piston arrows in the correct direction?
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

Is that 1 thru 3 or 1 and 3, meaning 2 and 4 were ok?

Looks like lack of lubrication and/or like SGK said, heat. Maybe a mouse nest on that side of the engine or something blocking airflow.

How do the rod and crank bearings look?

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

still tearing into the rest of the engine, only 1 out of the 4 cylinders was not scored, # 3 was the worst- there were no omissions of the oem tin and related parts, the engine was not clogged or dirty- it did run a bit rich based on the tail pipe but based on oil temp it was in the normal range as far as i can remember.....the other side of the barrel of all 3 was damaged, in general one side was worse
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

Maybe someone fired it up without oil at some point? Could also have been an engine low on oil that was pumping a lot of air through the galleys and there just wasn't enough lube reaching the pistons. If your crankcase ventilation clogs and pressure builds up in the case, most all the oil can be blown out within minutes.
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

would you notch only one side of the connecting rod?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

I did both sides. You don't go deep enough to compromise the bearing. The oil coming out of the bearing will tend to exit more toward the piston. I did not leave a V but rounded the bottom of the V so that it lessens the chance of a crack forming at that juncture over time. VW never thought these engines would be going thru multiple overhauls.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

blatzer wrote:
would you notch only one side of the connecting rod?

The idea is to get the oil that goes through the bearing to be thrown in mass towards the piston. The notch has nothing to do with the bearing itself as the oil has already done its job there. All it does is cause a higher percentage of oil to be thrown towards the underside of the piston, thus giving a bit of cooling and assuring the piston has sufficient lubrication. I see nothing to be gained by only doing one side of the rod. FWIW, I would notch the rods on 1700 and 1800 engines along with 2000cc ones. I don't believe there are any negatives to doing this.
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2L GD connecting rod notch mod w/ pics Reply with quote

skep, you wanna chime in here?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: