Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsvp
Samba Member

Location: Annapolis, MD(but usually travelin' somewhere else)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

hi All,

I'm having issues getting my alternator to start charging in the Phoenix (my 1982 Diesel Westy with the NOW SMOOTHLY RUNNING 1.6TD!!).

So the idiot light comes on when you turn the key on, but never goes off (and the VDO voltmeter gauge I installed shows it's not charging).

I've run a jumper wire from battery to the blue exciter wire on the alternator, and it will charge, so it'a not the alternator itself that's the problem.

can someone talk me through how that exciter wire works to turn on the alternator, and where a likely issue might happen? (id the instrument panel foil a likely issue?)

thanks all!

regards,
Steve
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

I can tell you on my 87 van, I need to rev the engine to at least 2800 rpm before the alt will kick on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

I would check under the back of the drivers seat for a Westy fridge relay. If one is there there then the blue wire circuit from the alternator connects to that relay. Unplug the blue wire from the relay and check carefully for any change in the alternator warning light behavior. I mean ANY change.

Mark
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

Just brush the armature lovingly.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

Hopefully your Voltage Regulator looked better than mine did... Razz Razz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
rsvp
Samba Member

Location: Annapolis, MD(but usually travelin' somewhere else)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

Good morning and Thanks all

I’ll check my fridge relay.
I forgot to also mention I first replaced my brushes/ regulator, so as to eliminate that ads problem (they were fine)

Is there anything the diodes on back of instruments panel/foil do to start the alternator?

Regards
Steve
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

Have you cleaned your grounds lately?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

Typically your symptoms are due to a break in the blue wire near the alternator. The wire can look ok on the outside but have an internal break so gently feel along the wire to try to detect any defects.

The fact that the dash cluster alternator warning light comes on with the key indicates that the cluster is likely doing its job of supplying the exciter current for the alternator. It does this in a very simple fashion over a single small blue wire from the cluster to the alternator.

The complication is that in various models VW connected other things to that blue wire. In full Westy models they connected the fridge relay to it. In models with factory aux battery setups the aux battery relay connects to it. In some vans with a GW aux battery setup and some home brewed aux battery setups a large extra load is put on the blue wire.

These extra blue wire loads complicate what is otherwise a very easy circuit to diagnose.

With your symptoms forget the stock grounds, check for the added relays. Something metal may be stored where it contacts the relay and shorts out the blue wire to ground. This would keep the warning light on and prevent the exciter current from reaching the alternator. Even if things look ok at the relay(s) temporarily unhook the blue wire from the relay(s) to make it simpler to find and fix the problem.

Mark
Andross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

I had to rev to 3000 rpm to get current from my alternator about a week ago.

Cleaned grounds and replaced alternator wiring harness. Here is what you need if you want to build your own.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732378
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Alternator isn't getting excited... (and we can't have THAT!) Reply with quote

As above the blue (man) wire is a simple circuit.

Since bridging to the excited blue man wire does the trick, the circuit circuit is suspect.

Using the Bentley and a volt meter you need to trace back this circuit.

Vanagon life is a non starter (charger) without the manual and a volt meter....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: