Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone tried the Passat steel wheels?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Anyone tried the Passat steel wheels? Reply with quote

are the 15x6.5's good with the BF A/T 215/75SR15 ?

i've been too busy to schlep to the pick a part, and i'm tempted just to get them from tire rack. they're only like $44 a pop.

cheers
droo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: anyone tried the passat steel wheels? Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:

i've been too busy to schlep to the pick a part, and i'm tempted just to get them from tire rack. they're only like $44 a pop.

cheers
droo
I think you need to do some research before buying any steel wheels to avoid being surprised about what you get...vanagon.com has a write-up about passat steelies in there wheel and tire section
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some snow tires from an Audi V8 that a guy loaned me. I actually ran them on the rear of my 87 one season, but they would not fit the front because the hole is too small. Probably would fit a Syncro front, though.
But the real problem is that they are made for 12mm studs. I'm not real happy to put 12mm studs in my hubs. And I thing machining the bosses to OE tolerances might be cost prohibitive. Hell, by that time you'd be up to the price of SA wheels. well, what is the price of SA 15's?. Steel wheels have some great advantages over alloy. Strength and resistance to corrosion being foremost.
So, the answer is NO, not practical.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: anyone tried the passat steel wheels? Reply with quote

Petervw wrote:
I think you need to do some research before buying any steel wheels to avoid being surprised about what you get...vanagon.com has a write-up about passat steelies in there wheel and tire section

yeah i did vanagon.com says they bolt up without much hassle on a syncro.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but I only got about 4 turns on the nuts. Not enough. That is, unless the Audi wheels are different.
If a guy could get some nuts with a sleeve, then a ball seat (cone), to even get about 4 more turns, it would be enough.
I think this is a bigger problem than the center hole. Tempting, still.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, now i'm tempted to go to the junk yard and pick up one for cheap and try i out. i have access to a milling machine so i'm could do some machining if needed, but i'd prefer not to.

i was so bummed, last time i went to the junkyard i found one audi 5000 alloy, the one with bunch of spokes, but sadly they only had one...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are quite nice with 215 75 r15.
Especially with a subaru to turn them
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgobel wrote:

those look tasty. did you need any special lugs or bolts, etc?

btw, nice pup, i've got two of them...

vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jgobel, btw, did you make the syncro 4x4 sticker? i recently got access to a vinyl cutter and i was just thinking of making one like that today.

thanks for the pic, it's so hard to visualize wheels and tires sometimes.

cheers
andrew
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr,

I did have to have the centers enlarged to 67 mm to clear all the hubs. I had a local machine shop do it for me on their lathe. It is funny how many more people come up to me and ask about the mysterious 4x4 VW now that it has larger more aggressive tires. I think it ended up costing a little under $100 for all four. I still need to get a fifth for a spare, and figure out how to mount it. I am thinking about fabbing up a rear bumper with a swing away on it. Tht is when I get a shop, welder, torch, lots of money, and lots of free time.

The sticker came on it stock, and is slowly now coming off. I have a friend

She is a good pup three years old now, and settling down a little. She is also half wiemeriener (sp?) but luckily she has the shorthair personality.
noza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have them as well with 215/75/15 and they are not bad. I bought them with the middles bored out.
I had to get spacers for the front, which I got at a local wheel/tire shop for about 10 bucks (1/4" genreic). I then had to get longer wheel bolts for the front (les schwab)
Run up and down the entire west coast on them with no problems.
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgobel wrote:

What year passat are those off of?
I recently found some full size spares of a late model passat that fit real well and have an et of 37. I was kind of worried about the load rating but realized the late model passats are pretty heavy.

Is there a part # on yours?

Different topic. I'm in the process of putting a 2.2 subie in my syncro passenger van and was curious how you like the performance?
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of you guys with the steelies running 15" big brakes? I've heard that 285 mm rotors and up won't fit so that might be a consideration when choosing a new set of wheels for yer van...

Jeff / 87 Syncaru Westy
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same question Jeff has, do the 15" passat steel wheels fit with any of the big brake calipers? What modifications did you have to make; spacers, longer studs?

I would like to go with bigger calipers/rotors and upgrade to 15 inch steel wheels. My brakes are starting to squeal, so need to decide, stock or upgrade before next spring.

The type of van trips I like, steel would be more suitable. The syncro did great on our trip last month to Utah, going out to Panorama Point in the Maze District was a treat. But got me thinking 15 inch wheels would give alittle more clearance for a return trip down the Flint Trail to the Dollhouse and Maze Overlook, anyone done that tour?
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone tried the passat steel wheels? Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:

cheers
droo

Hi droo

Might be very well worth your time to go to the pick a part. The one I visit episodically sells **any** alloy wheel WITH tyre for $25.00 each. I don't recall what they ask for steel wheels only that they are cheaper.
You may also want to check CraigList. There I found a set of 15x7, 8 holes Mercedes wheels with tyres for two bags of peanuts. I did luck out as they were previously installed on a Vanagon, so I knew they fit and they came with the bolts and nuts. I only had to buy the longer studs for the rear from SmallCar. Which, by the way, means I'll be putting my VW alloys for sale in classifieds pretty soon, as soon as I concoct a solution the (3 missing) center caps issue, as I refuse to pay the extravagant (to me) prices some guys ask for 4 pieces of s...t plastic that will fly away anyway.

Good luck
HetzerHarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard the "big brakes" don't fit with the steel wheels.
I will say I love them, running 235 75 15's makes me think they should have been fitted with 15's all along. It is very stable, easier to get off road tires for & of course the added ground clearance is wonderful.
I had a local machinist open the centers up I think it was 10 bucks a wheel (had him do 6). I do suggest you get a balancing shop that can do a "lug centric" balance since it is hard to get the centers true.
The rear lugs get enough purchase on the threads to hold them well... I've given them plenty of testing... they will just look 3/4 tight.
Contact me for additional pics or questions.
Harry

Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same mod as Stromline mentioned. My passat wheels came from an '02 and are ET37. I had the center bores enlarged and I painted them silver.

I did try these wheels on a buddy's syncro that had the Van Cafe Big Brake kit. They did NOT fit. Even with an 8mm spacer still the inner welded structure of the wheel hit the caliper. I was sort of bummed about that. Crying or Very sad

1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stromline wrote:
I do suggest you get a balancing shop that can do a "lug centric" balance since it is hard to get the centers true.

Done at a machine shop and not true? Eeeeekkkkk!

I did mine by hand with a cut off wheel on a grinder and they are certainly close enough for balancing purposes. Not perfect, but I don't have any balance issues up to 85MPH, fwiw.

But if you're going to go thorough the hassle of bigger wheels why not just go to 16's and be done with it? Assuming you have an engine othert han stock back there.

Mine were $49 each from tire rack, ET 42, 12 mm spacers from Loggy and I'm all set.

I used old tiny cut-off wheels to make the center hole bigger, scribed a line into the paint on both sides first, used the existing hole for a guide for my line,

195 75 16s, they are 27.5" in diameter, and I can still fit some extremely burley chains in there, I picked up an additional 1 1/4" of ground clearance plus %10 taller gearing for extra MPGs,

HetzerHarry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My centers are maybe 2 or 3mm out of round... I know that's not too bad.
I'm just a balance perfectionist!

With my 235's I can't do much in the way of a snow chain, unless I mill off some lip on the lower trailing arm, or get 16" versions. Here in SoCal, snow is not often seen. (sure would be fun to play in it though!!!) Very Happy
Harry
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: anyone tried the passat steel wheels? Reply with quote

Sorry to revive a long-dead thread, but what is the point of this? Don't these steel wheels look *really* similar to the cheap stock vanagon wheels?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: