Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, small updates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

JKBagley wrote:
I just dragged a '63 Ragtop home, also. I'll be watching this space with great interest!
What, no pics?
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
You can get new stock valve springs in the classifieds here from Jeff Gagnon for $2 each. I don't think you'd need hi rev springs for that setup.

Good to know, thank you!
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
rah253 wrote:
SBD wrote:
I miss my '63 ragtop. Crying or Very sad

I bet! i was so happy to get that one, i can imagine.
Mine was totaled when a Mercury Marquis ran a red light back in 1992. Rolling Eyes

Damn... Crying or Very sad
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

JKBagley wrote:
I just dragged a '63 Ragtop home, also. I'll be watching this space with great interest!

Nice! glad to hear, maybe i can see some pics and progress on yours as well!
JKBagley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
JKBagley wrote:
What, no pics?

Here ya go...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are two sets of window glass, too.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

rah253 wrote:
SBD wrote:
rah253 wrote:
SBD wrote:

Mine was totaled when a Mercury Marquis ran a red light back in 1992. Rolling Eyes

By the time I was done dealing with that insurance adjuster I knew where she lived and was dreaming of setting her Fiero on fire! Evil or Very Mad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

JKBagley wrote:
Mark Evans wrote:
JKBagley wrote:
What, no pics?

Here ya go...

There are two sets of window glass, too.
Looks super straight!
robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

Found 2 broken valve springs on my motor. Replaced carb. and motor runs strong now. Glad I didn’t tear it all down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
rah253 wrote:
SBD wrote:
rah253 wrote:
SBD wrote:

By the time I was done dealing with that insurance adjuster I knew where she lived and was dreaming of setting her Fiero on fire! Evil or Very Mad

I bet! Laughing
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

robert hogaboam wrote:
Found 2 broken valve springs on my motor. Replaced carb. and motor runs strong now. Glad I didn’t tear it all down.

What a beauty!
robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

Looks good from distance !! 4 wheel disc brakes and short axels to fit wider Porsche wheels. 1835 with new carb. No headliner. Just a good running low car. Hauls my boards to the beach and is fun to drive. The other one is a 67 almost all stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

robert hogaboam wrote:
Looks good from distance !! 4 wheel disc brakes and short axels to fit wider Porsche wheels. 1835 with new carb. No headliner. Just a good running low car. Hauls my boards to the beach and is fun to drive. The other one is a 67 almost all stock.

Well from a distance maybe, but still in better shape then mine! Your 67 is amazing as well!
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

Well, a little update. After taking off a few thing and centering it on my work bench, i went and tried to turn the crank by hand to see if it was turning smoothly. It went about half way with one compression feel before completely locking up! There is definitely something playing interference here, and that is turning it at its proper rotation or reverse, it just locks at a certain point.

My son went ahead and drain the oil and it was a mix of water and oil, a bunch of water dumped first before the oil.

we decided to start taking the engine apart. To take the fan shroud off, the compressor has to come off but no can do! after heating it up with a torch and using a pry bar we finally got it off but not after breaking the bolt on the compressor side, pretty crazy how tight it was on there. I guess we will also need some new hardware...

I will update with what i find once fully taken apart.
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag Reply with quote

So my boys decided to come over and help out with the project which was awesome. As i mentioned before, i try to turn by hand the crank to only being able to go thru one compression and the motor locking up. Well, we decided to take the heads off and sure enough it looks bad. Previous owner must of not stored the engine properly or i'm not sure what to be honest. It looks like a head gasket blew up in a water cooled engine... Anyways a little input from you guys would be appreciated.

1) Seeing the pictures, do you see any salvation for that engine?
2) If not, salvageable parts?
3) With a deadline of June for it to run, should i just turn it in as a core and get a turn key? (financially would be the only big thing i could do outside of little stuff around the car)
4) outside of the obvious water damage, does anyone see something else that i am not catching on?

Also, is the connectors posted in the pictures for the headlights?

Thanks for your time.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

The pistons and cylinders are easily replaced (and yours need to be). Your heads may be able to be rebuilt though some more cleaning and disassembly is needed first, you may consider replacing the one head anyway due to the multiple broken cooling fins. Rocker assemblies and pushrods look like they just need a good cleaning. I'd lean toward replacing the bent pushrod tubes, they're fairly cheap anyway. On the outside the case seems to be decent and appears to have case savers installed, you'll need to split the case still and measure/inspect it further along with the internals. Overall it doesn't look too bad just from the pictures you've shown so far.

The electrical terminal does appear to be of the type used in '67+ headlight connectors. Earlier Bugs would have used a different connector with spring loaded terminal connections like this: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941165C
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The pistons and cylinders are easily replaced (and yours need to be). Your heads may be able to be rebuilt though some more cleaning and disassembly is needed first, you may consider replacing the one head anyway due to the multiple broken cooling fins. Rocker assemblies and pushrods look like they just need a good cleaning. I'd lean toward replacing the bent pushrod tubes, they're fairly cheap anyway. On the outside the case seems to be decent and appears to have case savers installed, you'll need to split the case still and measure/inspect it further along with the internals. Overall it doesn't look too bad just from the pictures you've shown so far.
I'm pretty much in agreement with all of this. A couple of small things. You can bolt on a set of 83mm cylinders and pistons to bring it up to 1380cc IIRC (maybe 1385?). Probably about the same cost as a stock set. Also, if the rocker arms you have are the originals then they have a 1:1 ratio. You could replace them with a set from a later 1500/1600cc motor. Those are 1.1:1 ratio. It will give the motor a bit more grunt off the line. Not much, but I did it on my 63 and I could feel it in the Butt-dyno. Smile

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

The electrical terminal does appear to be of the type used in '67+ headlight connectors. Earlier Bugs would have used a different connector with spring loaded terminal connections like this: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941165C

Thanks for the reply. I figured something seemed off with the connectors for sure. I thought maybe since the previous owner went with this 1600CC and convert it to 12V he needed that? i don't know... As far as the case is concerned, if i am to work on this engine the plan was to disassemble it all anyways, and rebuilt from ground up. I was trying to see if the value of rebuilding it all was worth it vs finding a turnkey engine or not, and how long would it take me to do so. I have a planned week of coming up at the end of the month dedicated mostly to this project. Replacing the head on that side might be the right thing to do if i decide to rebuilt it. thanks again.
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
mukluk wrote:
I'm pretty much in agreement with all of this. A couple of small things. You can bolt on a set of 83mm cylinders and pistons to bring it up to 1380cc IIRC (maybe 1385?). Probably about the same cost as a stock set. Also, if the rocker arms you have are the originals then they have a 1:1 ratio. You could replace them with a set from a later 1500/1600cc motor. Those are 1.1:1 ratio. It will give the motor a bit more grunt off the line. Not much, but I did it on my 63 and I could feel it in the Butt-dyno. Smile

Hey thanks for your reply! maybe im not catching something. My block is a 1600cc already. I would love more grunt either way, but being my first aircooled project i am trying to be careful! Laughing
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

rah253 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I figured something seemed off with the connectors for sure. I thought maybe since the previous owner went with this 1600CC and convert it to 12V he needed that? i don't know... As far as the case is concerned, if i am to work on this engine the plan was to disassemble it all anyways, and rebuilt from ground up. I was trying to see if the value of rebuilding it all was worth it vs finding a turnkey engine or not, and how long would it take me to do so. I have a planned week of coming up at the end of the month dedicated mostly to this project. Replacing the head on that side might be the right thing to do if i decide to rebuilt it. thanks again.

The OG style connectors will work with 6v and 12v sealed beam bulbs, the three prong layout is the same for both.

Given the time frame you've set for this project, I would stress that the sooner you can completely tear down the engine to evaluate the case the better off you'll be, especially if it needs machine work and nobody local can do it. An hour or two of work from where you currently have it should be sufficient to tear it down and snap some pics to post up for input. If you don't have measuring tools available to gauge the case and parts, a quick look at the numbers stamped into the bearing shells will likely give you an idea of what's been done during previous rebuilds.
rah253
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
rah253 wrote:

The OG style connectors will work with 6v and 12v sealed beam bulbs, the three prong layout is the same for both.

Given the time frame you've set for this project, I would stress that the sooner you can completely tear down the engine to evaluate the case the better off you'll be, especially if it needs machine work and nobody local can do it. An hour or two of work from where you currently have it should be sufficient to tear it down and snap some pics to post up for input. If you don't have measuring tools available to gauge the case and parts, a quick look at the numbers stamped into the bearing shells will likely give you an idea of what's been done during previous rebuilds.

Ok thanks. I am going to take the case apart, hopefully before my week off that way i can plan ahead on what to do as far as that week is concerned. I will post pics as well. I do not have a measuring tool but i will look at the bearing shells for that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: