Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Joint Install Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbone5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

I feel somewhat silly asking this but here we go:

I'm installing my ball joints, both upper and lower, and don't know what to do with the protective cover in the picture below. This is the first time I've ever seen such covers. Are these just to protect the rubber boots during shipping? Do I take them off before installing or leave them on? I've worked with ball joints in the past and have never seen these before. Rolling Eyes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Remove the plastic covers. Lube the taper before installing.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Did you pay attention to the notch location when you pressed in the new lower ball joints?
tbone5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

I did line up the notch before pressing the ball joints, so no issues there. The covers have me scratching my head....they are rather substantial, as if made to be left on. I’m inclined to leave them off as the previous poster suggested....just getting a feel for the collected wisdom out there. Thanks to all that add their 2 cents worth.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

How do you propose to get the taper up into the lower control arm with that plastic in the way?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

They are shipping protection. As stated remove them prior to install. Maybe save one for your tool kit.
tbone5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Ah!! Igeo has pointed out the critical detail that solves the puzzle. I'll leave the covers off. Thanks to all.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Remove the plastic covers. Lube the taper before installing.

My chief engineer when i was a deck boss /engineer in Alaska said you should never lube a tapered fitting. The friction of a tapered fitting holds it in place, lubing counters the coefficient of fiction which then requires over tightening to achieve the required holding power.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Thanks FT, that jumped out at me too.

A taper fit pin and its hole should be scrupulously clean and dry.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Learn something every day! I've always lubed those tapered front end parts like ball joints and tie rod ends because it just seemed right to me. I stand corrected.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Learn something every day! I've always lubed those tapered front end parts like ball joints and tie rod ends because it just seemed right to me. I stand corrected.

I've wondered about this.
In the lubed case, the threads will turn easier thus for the same rotational torque, the lubed bolt ends up at a higher tension (preload & stretch etc).
And the friction of the taper pulling into it's hole is reduced as well, it wedges farther in.
The lubricity is a little less with oil than grease, but the oil evaporates "to dry" sooner.
What are the chances that the connection actually ends up tighter?
I bet it does.

Pretty sure bolts are torqued dry for the explicit reason that lubed would require a list of different torque specs for each type of lube.
Dry is "one specific torque value" thus more reliable.

I guess you could torque the fastener....
Then a few months later put a torque wrench on it again, and check if it turns a little.
I do that on my greasy CV joint bolts.
Or just to sleep better too. Wink

In any case I bet a LOT of balljoints are installed in a LOT of vehicles .... not paying attention to dryness.
And I'm not hearing of problems, but that doesn't mean much.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Thanks Sodo. Good points And I swear it was a just thin film on the machined taper. Not the threads. Anyway, hope the OP has it figured out.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

Can someone explain the "notch alignment"?
I havent seen tht mentioned before
Thnx
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Install Question Reply with quote

space wrote:
Can someone explain the "notch alignment"?
I havent seen tht mentioned before
Thnx

You need to align the notches on the ball joint to the notches of the arm. Doing this allows the ball joint to pivot properly. Not paying mind to these identifiers can cause the ball joint to be stiff and wear prematurely as they only pivot in particular directions.

Same scenario for Bay buses.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: