Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 529, 530, 531 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Work continues on the1983- 1.6 diesel rebuild and conversion to turbo diesel JX spec. Decided to do a quick test of paint condition under the dirt and oxidation. Was very pleased to see that I'll be able to touch up and run the OG paint..at least for a while.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today I discovered I won't be bleeding the rear brakes anytime soon. Found both sides like this, I guess the PO had some issues.

Thankfully I can loosen the flare nut without issues. I gather my only real option is new wheel cylinders? Any brand suggestions/part no?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

If you need the van <NOW> just crack the nut & bleed from there.

This'll keep you on the road until you dig farther... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
If you need the van <NOW> just crack the nut & bleed from there.

This'll keep you on the road until you dig farther... Cool

- Dave

That is a clever idea. Actually the system is fine as is, nothing wrong with it. I had a small leak in the clutch system that I fixed and had to bleed. The plan was to bleed the brakes as well because I already had the bleeder hooked up and opened up the fresh bottle of fluid......but no.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Since temps were finally above freezing around here, I turned on the garage heater to plumb in my
cheap Chinese heater...looks like this may be a game changer for early & late season trips! Very Happy

Semi-hard wired w/plug to aux battery, easily removable with hose clamps on intake & exhaust
just below the floor & works just like it should. ONWARD! Cool

- Dave

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

I always thought that putting the hot air exhaust into the B piller right there would provide nice distribution to the rear and the front.

(is there wax inside those cavities? if so, might melt off...still cool distribution)

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Not sure, but someone else will have to find out...this is all the farther I'm going with this project. Cool

- Dave

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

...(brief follow up from previous post)...

After-the-fact-late-to-the-party intake/exhaust pics...(running late, didn't get these before): Embarassed

I know, I still need to fill the very small gap at the floor with rope/strip caulk (a/k/a "dum dum" to us old timers)...

FWIW: Bridged exhaust connection with 500° rated silicone hose & found that two (2) "straight-through" mufflers brought
outside noise down below 60db, especially when running on low (1.2 kWh) according to LCD display settings, plus found
this guy on YouTube, so you know it's gotta be true... (Fast forward to 7:30 for live test & final result)... Very Happy Cool

Link

Long story short, it works great & it's pretty d@mn quiet! Wink

- Dave

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Today I discovered I won't be bleeding the rear brakes anytime soon. Found both sides like this, I guess the PO had some issues.

Thankfully I can loosen the flare nut without issues. I gather my only real option is new wheel cylinders? Any brand suggestions/part no?
. ATE with internal springs
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

I always thought that putting the hot air exhaust into the B piller right there would provide nice distribution to the rear and the front.

(is there wax inside those cavities? if so, might melt off...still cool distribution)
. Interesting.....
So , up to the rear passenger vents mounted in the roof and out the B pillar and into the R/F door and then out of the metal plenum on the interior behind the dash?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Sounds like what HE'S talking about (vanis13) but yeah, that's not my project. I hope he'll chime in again...Cool

- Dave

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Sounds like what HE'S talking about (vanis13) but yeah, that's not my project. I hope he'll chime in again...Cool

- Dave
. Right, got it, was going to post about wondering with possible plastic vent melting that’s in the B pillar and the seal at the edge of the door that mates with it, but wasn’t sure if the heated air was even hot enough to cause that issue .
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Spring is in the air....
I am instaling a 5 pot TDI and a Volvo M46 gearbox in my Karmann LT. Today i was working on the gearshift mekanism, outside, beside the camper, and i must say it is realy Nice to hear the sound of the Pisten Bully grooming the skislope 100m away, down the end of the road.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Been a busy 2 weeks for us:

Treated foot well areas for some light rust from window seal leak and then painted with new step pads.

Reinstalled a freshly cleaned front carpet/pad for season.
Bolted gas pedal down with SS HW.
New Antenna https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JAN139-Heavy-Duty-Un...amp;sr=8-4
Uniwerks Design goodies installed: (radio spacer, hooks, clips, power pod levelers, dome light, outside temp gauge)
Fixed my emergency brake light switch finally!
944 fog light switch ($25 on ebay)
Eurovan steering wheel ($80 shipped on ebay)

Took out original spare clamshell and hinges/etc:
Wire wheeled and treated front frame and sub-frame with Rustoleum Rust Barrier Auto in matte black, looks so good! (CA van, so no issues)

Painted a new V.C. tire carrier with several coats of preventative clear rustoleum
Painted a new 15" SouthAfrican spare rim with several coats of clear rustoleum (spare tire mounting tomorrow)

T3 sway bar, HD links, and a bunch of urethane bushings for steering, trans, radius arms next...

944s CV with Rockford boots, V.C. axles and Swepco grease going in later this week too.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave
. Right, got it, was going to post about wondering with possible plastic vent melting that’s in the B pillar and the seal at the edge of the door that mates with it, but wasn’t sure if the heated air was even hot enough to cause that issue .

yes, you got the idea correct re: distribution/plenum

I would not be worried about any plastic melting. I was wondering, since I have heard the inside of the cavities are wax coated for corrosion protection, if that wax would melt.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Buss Marius wrote:
Spring is in the air....
I am instaling a 5 pot TDI and a Volvo M46 gearbox in my Karmann LT. Today i was working on the gearshift mekanism, outside, beside the camper, and i must say it is realy Nice to hear the sound of the Pisten Bully grooming the skislope 100m away, down the end of the road.

Sounds fun! Pics of all these rigs, please? Wink

- Dave

Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the quick shift kit from t3 technique today, rather than spending up for the fancy short shifter.

Not a revolutionary change, but a nice enough upgrade for the money, and it only took about 15 minutes to install.

I have replaced all of the bushings and soft parts in my shifter, and there’s still some minor slop in the ball at the pivot point unfortunately, so this shifter doesn’t cure that.

Anyway, this is a good option for folks who want to tighten up shifts a little bit
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
And I found this today, one of my plants that looks like it's been savored since I set it in place a couple of pages ago. On to Plan B, whatever that is.

Plan B, the Bucket Of Death. I read on another forum about an interesting way to trap mice. I wanted something that would work continually with only occasional monitoring and no resetting/refilling required, and which would kill the little f***ers, and then keep on killing them without my assistance.

Get a bucket and a soda bottle and a wooden dowel. Drill as needed so the bottle spins freely. Ramp up to access hole for the mouse and peanut butter on the bottle as bait. Windshield washer fluid in the bottom of the bucket.

Decided to try this and see if it works in the garage and it did. Mouse is attracted to the PB and enters, and must negotiate the bottle to the bait but the bottle spins easily, which dumps the mouse into the drink. I bagged these two overnight.

So I made a smaller one today to keep in the Westy while parked. Testing the small one tonight.

VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally installed my driver side grab handle on the A pillar. I don't know why I waited so long to do it. Makes getting in much easier and fun!

4spd
eugenev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My shifter had been feeling a little... well, terrible. I was worried it might be something large (which, it could). For now the shift linkage in the front failed and I had a floppy shifter.

Here it is after removal.

Since I already did a quarantine garage cleaning I installed the replacement today.

Feels better and might have been the only problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 529, 530, 531 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 530 of 629

Jump to: