Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 Westy purchased, towed home and status updates.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tweeter77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: 77 Westy purchased, towed home and status updates. Reply with quote

1977 Westfalia Campmobile 70
Green, Std trans, 2L, Stove, Frig, original, extra tent canvas, minor dents, one big dent Left Rear.

Update:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by tweeter77 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

tweeter77 wrote:

I'm thinking about offering $2,500. What do you think?

I think you should put a cup on because when she finds out she sold you a 5500-6k bus for 2500 she may kick you in the dick.

that's a solid pretty unmolested deluxe. I would be over the moon if I got it for 5k.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

I’m seeing about 6-9k depending on running condition.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

That's got serious potential to clean up and be an excellent bus.

Factor in new tyres, fuel and brake lines on the get go and work from there but $2,500, that's cheap. Scrappers here in the UK go for that money.

I agree with Skills and ivwshane, $5 - 6k is more like it.
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

yup^
but those huge bumper overriders!!! Laughing
tweeter77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

Thank You for the Input.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

In Ohio, easy $5k-$6k non running. If you have CA members estimating $6k-$9k for a running vehicle, no doubt its $10k+ running/driving/stopping in good condition once gone through in Ohio. I know someone that paid $3800 for a 71 Westy with the bottom 6 inches missing, and a seized engine.

As far as offering price, there are two ways to look at it. Hot Rod had an article about a barn find Hemi Cuda, I think it was, that was purchased for $25k. The deal was made, and the buyer went home to get the money/trailer. Upon returning, the seller asked, I didn’t just sell you a $100k vehicle for $25k did I? The buyer replied, are you happy with $25k? The seller said yes, and it was left at that. Would the camper person be happy with $2500?

Another way to look at it is, how does the saying go, “you don’t shit where you eat”. If the seller is a coworker you see 5 days a week, it’s only a matter of time before it gets back to her the true value of the vehicle. Do you really want that much drama at work for a few thousand dollars?

I was looking for a 23 Window for a customer a month ago, and saw a candidate for $65k. The sellers story was it was bought off of “an original owner elderly couple”. We all know damn well they didn’t offer them $65k for it, but what was it purchased for? We all want the prize vehicle cheap to have money left over for the restoration, or to simply brag about the deal. I’m not sure how the 23 Window seller would sleep if they bought it for a few thousand dollars, only to try and flip it for 2000+% profit. I guess if the elderly couple was happy with their purchase price, is there an issue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

it also comes down to are you going to use it/own it for a while
or clean it up and flip it for fast profits..

she could clean it up, list it and get better profits but selling to a 'friend' who will use it and enjoy it. selling it low wouldn't be so much an issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

If you buy a 100k vehicle for 25k you aren't a business(man), entrepreneur, or wizard - you are just a Richard, abbreviated.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you buy a 100k vehicle for 25k you aren't a business(man), entrepreneur, or wizard - you are just a Richard, abbreviated.

so i'll be Rich if i buy a 100K vehicle for 25K? Confused

I think you should let the seller figure out what they want for it and go from there. If they haven't done anything with it in 20 years, they might not care, are probably not aware of current trends, just might want it gone, and would be happy to have the room in the garage. Who knows, $2500 might get it. It will need a lot of time and $$ investment to get it back up and running.

Plus: you haven't mentioned your intentions. Are you looking for a project/keeper, or are you looking to flip it?
tweeter77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

See update

Last edited by tweeter77 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

it IS a motorhome. you don't tow it with one.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

If it’s all there (seemingly so) it has sat for some time. Tires, brakes, and an engine reseal is probably needed. Who knows the health or compression numbers on the engine.

I don’t think you’re out of line between $2500-$5000. If the little stuff was there (curtains, jump seat, mosquito net, manuals, paperwork, title) those items give me incentive to pay higher numbers. You’re not being a dick, you’re taking on a classic car that needs love. Remember (though it’s hard to believe) the year 2000 was 20 years ago. A lot of neglect can take place to a vehicle in that time.

Also how’s the electrics? Bad wiring? If I see ugly nest wiring hanging under the dash, my Benjamin’s begin to hide.

Good luck, great year and wonderful color.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

My bus looked very similar to yours and complete but with a little more rust I did not pay much for it. It sat for 10 years.

I did the rubber brake lines, master cylinder, pads shoes, rotors, rebuilt calipers, wheel bearings, ball joint boots, fuel lines, vacuum lines, vapor lines, filler neck rubbers, fuel sending unit, plugs, points, cap, rotor, wires, fuel injectors, new lifter, gaskets, oil pressure switch, thermostat and assembly, CV boots, engine seal, afm adjustment, clutch, pressure plate, machined flywheel, hockey stick ball in trans, input shaft seal, rear main seal, temp sensor, filters, cables, pedal linkage, cleaned fuel tank, 4 tires, shifter coupling, shifter bushings, wiper motor, etc.... and I am about to drop 5k on a new motor.

I have done a boatload of interior work as well. Also have many hrs of body work which is continuous. Plus window seals blah blah.

2500 is not too cheap to me... if you value your time. You'll have a lot of time and hours in that thing + cost of parts + samba time doing research. I often wonder if I should have just paid the 20k for a bus! But this is of course my opinion. $2500 isn't too cheap once you put the blood sweat and tears into it. Good luck keep us all posted!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

I got mine in better condition than that for Free! 15 years later and $15k a
its a nice Westy with everything gone thru.
$2500 is a fair price considering the rust and you'll need to rebuild the engine and transmission, brakes, suspension, poptop, interior.............
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweeter77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

We settled on $3,500 USD
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

tweeter77 wrote:
We settled on $3,500 USD

I think that's fair. Consider also that it was an easy sale for her. You have spared her from dealing with hordes of Craigslist bottom feeding, cry-ass lowlife, penniless grifters.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
tweeter77 wrote:
We settled on $3,500 USD

I think that's fair. Consider also that it was an easy sale for her. You have spared her from dealing with hordes of Craigslist bottom feeding, cry-ass lowlife, penniless grifters.

..as well as people not on Samba..
tweeter77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a price range 77 Westy Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Westy purchased and towed home. Post updated. Reply with quote

Happy days!

Keep us posted on the restoration, have fun!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: