Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vdubluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

Hi everyone I'm wondering if anyone knows and can send me a link to a roof rack person/company that has advertised here on the samba before that was making a rack that was low/sleek swiss style and followed the roof curve very tight. They were for sale bare or powder coated and you picked the wood stain you wanted also you picked if you wanted straight or curved roof attachment bars. There was a picture of the wood slats stained the different stains to choose from. also there was a picture showing a white beauty (beetle) showing the rack in the ad. I think it was in Ventura Ca but not for sure on that.
Thanks
Vdubluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

ok so I just solved my own mystery. The ad I was looking for is still here on the samba (thankfully) Dancing. Sorry I don't know how to link on these damn things. but I can tell you I found it in the accessories section with the ad id of 135098 in case anyone wants to see what I was talking about. I SOOOOOOOOOO am getting that rack for my beetle! Very Happy
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

Vdubluver wrote:
ok so I just solved my own mystery. The ad I was looking for is still here on the samba (thankfully) Dancing. Sorry I don't know how to link on these damn things. but I can tell you I found it in the accessories section with the ad id of 135098 in case anyone wants to see what I was talking about. I SOOOOOOOOOO am getting that rack for my beetle! Very Happy

Here's the link.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2135098

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Vdubluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

cool thanks for adding the link. I really gotta learn how to do that. But damn isn't that a good looking rack?!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

I'm a stock, period-correct roof rack nutjob- but that rack is gorgeous!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

I have one of those racks! Like it alot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

it looks cool how it follows the curve, but doesn't that make it tough to actually use it?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

Kind of reminds of this old Swedish roof rack I have (but the old Swede is not that curved).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiss style (repro) low profile roof rack Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm the one who makes these. I'm NO expert at all on roof racks. I saw pictures of them and thought they were neat. I looked at about 8 pictures, saw features I liked and made my own version. The one design change I made that none of the others have is that I use matching round tubing for all the bars. Originals use flat/angle to mount the ends of the wood. I also use Riv-nuts, originals are rivets/nuts/screws. They are all slightly different. If you have any information on them, post it please.

The best I could tell, they were made by local manufacture shops and only sold locally. I believe samba member Skim has an original also. I read somewhere that he had a Bug shipped from Sweden and requested the owner put a Swedish rack on it before it was put in the container. I couldn't find the pic, but IIRC it looked like a big jellybean. Lots of varying clamp designs, some also used suction cups. One theory I read is they are low profile to keep less snow from getting packed on top of the roof.

^^ Probably not Swedish, but still interesting designs

Samba member UZI

http://www.kucarfa.nl/VW/Beetle.html

^^ A car for sale in the Netherlands

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2121570

^^ A wanted ad from samba member Sled. Props to him giving me some input on my design

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: