Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

With much search and attempts to track down a thread within our beloved Bay Window forum, there isn’t a thread specifically dedicated to Double Cab/Crew Cab trucks.
Knowing how rare production numbers were, the unfortunate ruling by ’72 to no longer import trucks due to the Chicken Tax, and the reality that those that were purchased here were worked hard, often neglected and left to return to the Earth, I only find it suitable to have proper thread to the Crew Cab community.

This is means, a Role Call. Owner’s of 68-79 trucks please share your stories of finding, saving, and enjoying your buses. These trucks are extremely functional and practical, with many provisions and features that are now found commonly on modern trucks. I hope we can create this thread to being universal for knowledge, parts sources, unique M-code discoveries, questions and insight to all things Double Cab/Crew Cab.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

To begin the thread, I’ll simply share a couple photos of my 1968 double cab.
I purchased this bus in Natchez, Mississippi on February 1st, 2019, driving 600 miles roundtrip to bring it home.
As expected, it was neglected, rusty, victim to numerous previous owner’s hacks, but had solid bones. Originally shipped to San Francisco, this bus spent most of it’s life in Oklahoma and Missouri. The rear bumper originally had a University of Missouri at Columbia Faculty sticker, dated 1991.
Upon sanding and stripping the many layers of paint, the truck seemingly had on the driver side, a VW logo painted on top of the original Pearl White, hinting at perhaps being a shop or dealership truck at some point and time in it’s life.

To save many from an endless thread of my own bus, I want more so to hear and see (pictures please!) your stories of crew cab life. But for the purpose of a little bit of my crew cab backstory, as it was found and how it currently looks:

On the tow bar on the way home
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple weeks ago parked in the yard

I hope to see some awesome double/crew cab buses. Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Being a 1-finger typist I am going to cheat a bit... here is a link to my build thread that describes where I started and how I got to where I am today (a long, sad story with a happy ending):
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336490

As a teaser, here's the before/after pic I keep on my phone:

As I type this, it is sitting in a heated garage, riding out the midwest winters. I try and drive it every couple weeks to keep everything working. Funny, it can sit there for 3 weeks and it still starts up faster than my daily driver a Scion xB.

And since everyone else has a full tilt shot....

Last edited by 70Crew on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I'm game. Here's my contribution: a 1978 double cab from Ireland, so it's right-hand drive. I bought it from a VW enthusiast, and upholsterer by trade, some 10 years ago in neighboring Santa Fe, New Mexico. Story was that a couple of Irish brothers had moved to NM and brought the truck with them. It was rough when I bought it:

After several years of reworking the mechanical systems to the best of my ability, I handed over the truck to an artist/welder/double cab owner in Colorado to "get rid of the rusty bits and throw some paint on it". Ha ha. Fully six years later, and with the aid of a sacrificial '77 transporter for a nose and other key panels, the metal work was done. We even added a fourth door (second crew cab door), which is very handy and looks totally stock.

While the truck was on the rotisserie, I had the engine rebuilt by Painter's Grinding in Denver, had the builder completely rebuild the front suspension and a lot of other things, and now have a truck that is as good as new. Better, actually, with the full 2.0-L FI engine that runs strong and leaks not a drop of oil. Smile Got new gates from KlassicFab, and they were happy to add the cutouts for the tail lights, too.

I will add that this lovely truck was the culmination of a paying hobby of mine: fixing up bay windows and getting them running. I went through over a dozen of them, and lost money on only one. http://vw.tauxe.net I earned enough on the others to pay for most of the work on the double cab, which is the keeper. I am done with the hobby now (and am looking for someone to pick up the rolling restoration that is my '75 Mexican single cab, but that's another story and another thread).
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for adding links and insight guys, I’m very familiar with both of your buses as they provided much needed information when I was dissecting mine.
I hope people chime in on how really functional they are commuting, work wise, storage, etc...it’s truly a Swiss (German?) Army Knife on wheels.

bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I bought my '71 for $50 back in 1994 the day before it would have gone through the crusher. Sadly, it has sat untouched until last summer.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Nice Double BVolks!
It's one thing to have picked it up for $50 bucks, but what's even more impressive is you are actually tearing into it after 15 years.
Good for you, thanks for sharing.
To have a 71 truck would be awesome, I'd love to have disc brakes up front.

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

1994 to 2019 is 25 years!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
1994 to 2019 is 25 years!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Why yes, it is.

Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

1969 DC - Sold last year, bought it back recently. I originally purchased from the owner who had bought it new. Over the years it had patina'd, had a bus boys front beam put in, lowered, disc brakes added w/ATE brake booster, 74 steering column, later tranny added, remote oil cooler and filter added, 71 wheels with Michelin tires installed. I took it back to stock height, added 1600 single port, new brake lines all around, calipers rebuilt, ball joints replaced, new turn signal switch installed, correct 2 speed wiper motor installed to mate up with later wiper switch, set it up to tow etc......etc.
Since I had sold when all the work was completed I didn't get much of a chance to drive it. Now I Will have a chance to! ..... and looking forward to it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Tom,
What a great looking 69 Double.
Beige leatherette interior? Any fancy M-code’s?

Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Yes beige/tan. I don't remember much about the codes listed on the m-plate, but I think the color. Was listed a special order. I think this color is Montana red though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Something close to seven years ago I bought this 1968 California import and a rotted out Washington state DC right here in California for about $6,400 for both. It was from an ad in the Samba. Have no idea why no one scooped them up before me.

I am now only missing a gas tank, windshield and some of the side and door glass and the windshield wipers. Due to some diligence on my part and treating people with re$pect, it's pretty much a complete basket case instead of a sad saga missing a bunch of parts. Correct rear bench and front seats, all 1968 door handles, new set of VW hubcaps, mint black spare tire rim, one-year only transmission (Yay! oh, wait... Shocked ) and now has both bumpers, etc. Unmolested dash wiring. And a damn near perfect cargo deck. Rust? Front floorboard.

I wonder if it drives?

The gates open and close just fine. The crinkle indexed smartly into the fold... Laughing It has since been beaten into relatively straight. Sort of. Mostly. Shoulda left it funny...

I can't recall if the M-Plate photo is from this truck or the Washington truck. Both from 1968.

In my efforts to hold onto it, I'm trying to camouflage it. It will be a Barn Find at some point. The last year has seen a lot of weirdness and it has become a sore subject around here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bundy Volks 2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Hi all from sunny Queensland Australia!

My name is Shane and I’m a bit of a VW tragic, I’m from London but now living in Bundaberg Australia, home to Bundaberg Rum.I’m also the admin on the Bundy Volks facebook page too, a page dedicated to Vws.

I’ve been into VW’s since for over 20 years and last night picked up this 73 Double Cab, it’s not in bad shape, the tray being the worst but with the DC came a complete Classic Fab rear tray, plus new Classic Fab gates!

The engine is not running but has twin Kadrons and apparently went like stink when it did but I’ll have to tidy it up and see what’s what.

Interior wise the seats were reupholstered, it’s got the mats and came with another brucey bonus but i wont say too much just yet!

Very excited about this as I’ve always wanted one and it will be a promo vehicle for the Bundy Volks club and well enjoyed too!

bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

I just noticed today that my headliner is made of 2 different materials. The front and rear sections have the perforations printed on, while the middle section have actual perforations. Are they all like that? Also, what is the dome light supposed to look like? I have no idea what mine is out of.

1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Bundy Volks 2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Mines a 73 so it could be different but it’s all one piece plus that’s the interior light too which i think should be same or similar.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Steven, forever envious of the 68 hidden away in California!

Shane, showing love all the way from Australia, good on you! Great to see the later DC’s! They just don’t exist here, stateside.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

bvolks wrote:
I just noticed today that my headliner is made of 2 different materials. The front and rear sections have the perforations printed on, while the middle section have actual perforations. Are they all like that? Also, what is the dome light supposed to look like? I have no idea what mine is out of.

Ironically, I noticed my headliner variations just a couple days ago. It is exactly like yours, linked here above. I was thinking perhaps someone replaced the section above the front cab area, but really looking at mine, it looks like original VW material. It is the same off-white perforated material, but the perforations are smaller once the headliner passes the front seats.

Most headliners don’t have this variation, as in Shane’s 73. It’s one material, the perforated off-white.

My interior dome light resembles Shane’s above, the standard bug/bus dome light.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Here is a link to the style dome interior light found in my 68 double cab.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2291024

Bundy Volks 2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Crew Cab/Double Cab Owner’s Thread Reply with quote

Been a busy week messing with some metal work. I’m not professional so please go easy on the criticism of my welding, self taught and having a crack as being a VW owner i kinda feel that it’s worth having a go at these things myself.

Took the old tray off, the bus came with replacement Classic Fab tray and gates so I’ll weld the tray in place, have test fitted it and drilled holes into one side ready for spotting but need to spray the underside before i do.

Cleaned the petrol tank area, noticed some holes in the floor so addressed that and also was a patch in the back step section. Once that’s done all the welding is done, the interior was upholstered and it’s a case of putting things back together. I actually think I’ll reuse the old gates just for the patina!

Engine is not running right, tried to turn it over - it has twin Kadrons which went up in flames, so something isn’t right but will try and take it out this weekend. Haven’t got a clue about engines so waiting on my “how to build a vw engine’ books to arrive!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: