Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

"2.1" Muffler is ok, tail pipe has rust perforation at flange, tailpipe bolts rusted in place, my Dremel just died. Instead of snapping of bolt heads, drilling out remains.....

Will MIG welding, maybe stitch welding, a new piece of pipe to flange burn off the gasket causing a leak?

I can't recall if I used a paper gasket at tailpipe or the metal type.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Stitch welding with your mig should be fine. Move around the pipe to keep from
overheating one area.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.

If I end up damaging gasket, maybe heat will loosen up the bolt threads. I may even drop the muffler for the job. We'll see. With 2 Vanagons and only 1 shop bay, I'm trying to find ways to reduce downtime though a tail pipe hardly qualifies for that.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Isn’t the tailpipe through bolted? With all you do, might be time for a small acetalyne torch set. You could burn those off in the time it takes to post a question. HD has a complete set for $300. You won’t believe the uses you can find for it. I imagine Harbor Freight and Northern Tool have something similar
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

The tail pipe is bolted on as it came from factory so not through bolted.

I'd love to get set up with more tools. Just not sure how long I'll be renting here. But if this is the set you refer to:

https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-torch-kit-with-oxygen-and-acetylene-tanks-65818.html

doesn't look too big. e.g. 20 cu ft tank is about 15" long?

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Oxygen-Cylinder-CGA540-Valve/dp/B01E2TS1TQ

Never tried oxy acetylene "hot wrench" on stuck fasteners. I hear it works great.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

That’s a very similar kit. You can also weld and braze with it. Working on old vehicles it’s a must have. That’s portable enough you can do stuff for your friends and earn beer money.

I know the air cooled tailpipe bolted directly to the muffler, but would have sworn the water cooled was through bolted. Anyhow, don’t worry about your gasket.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Never tried oxy acetylene "hot wrench" on stuck fasteners. I hear it works great.

Its life altering. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

for fine detail and close quarters work I use a set of these 'brazing' torches for a hot wrench. (I do have a BIG tank set too).
the Oxy bottle usually gets several nuts/bolts. though you want to be quick/dilligent it's not the most efficient hot wrench but it has it's places and is great for that incidental use like you are experiencing.. without the full $$ commitment. plus it's not usually considered 'torches' if a land lord or insurance person ever inquires.. it's a plumbing tool Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

I'd love to get set up with more tools. Just not sure how long I'll be renting here. But if this is the set you refer to:

https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-torch-kit-with-oxygen-and-acetylene-tanks-65818.html

doesn't look too big. e.g. 20 cu ft tank is about 15" long?

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Oxygen-Cylinder-CGA540-Valve/dp/B01E2TS1TQ

That harbor freight unit only has a cutting torch on it, you will need a different torch for bolt unsticking, welding. Also having that big cutting torch on such a small tank,is silly, the tank, particularly the O2 will empty pretty quick. The cutting torch operates with an extremely oxygen rich mixture, press the trigger on the handle and the oxygen blasts out. The smaller welding tips are needed for pin point heating of fasteners, and actual welding.

You may be better off with bigger tanks if you use it a lot. The bigger tanks will be cheaper to keep filled.

Also if you get a welder, besure to read up on cylinder safety. Never ever freaking ever use oil on the cylinder threads, valves, gages, regulator knob, any place on the tank! On an oxygen tank, oil can can cause a deadly explosion even a little bit on the valve.
Never run the pressure up high on an acetylene tank regulator, nor crank the valve on cylinder wide open, one turn is generally enough. never run an acetylene tank on its side (there is liquid in them).

Anyway shop around, if you plan on much use, get big tanks. Suggest you go to a weld supply store or call them, tell them your needs. You can also rent tanks rather than buy them, if small tank runs out too fast, exchange for bigger

Also buy a welding book, or go on line for welding tutorials before you buy

God Luck

Bug On, Red Hot!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

We carry a portable setup similar to the one Neil linked to the race track for emergency repairs. No you won’t run a production shop with it, for the DIY guy that gets in jams from time to time, it’s plenty adequate and has a small foot print. Add a rosebud tip and a #1 tip you can get a lot accomplished.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
We carry a portable setup similar to the one Neil linked to the race track for emergency repairs. No you won’t run a production shop with it, for the DIY guy that gets in jams from time to time, it’s plenty adequate and has a small foot print. Add a rosebud tip and a #1 tip you can get a lot accomplished.

True that, you need different torches and tip sizes for a useful set up other than large area massive heat, or cutting.

Id shop used, get quality used stuff, name brand, for same price as cheapo red chinese new stuff.

Victor is a premier torch company makes top notch torches. Often copied, some times copied poorly.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls/d/rohnert-park-oxy-acetalene-torch-set-up/7090134717.html

thats a nice sized set up. nice long hose, good sized tanks that wont need refilling every few uses, cart, selection of torches and tips and for a price less than the cheapo one that requires you buy the missing torch and tips at that.

Oh a word on tanks, The tanks get hydro pressure testing periodically, the date of the tests is stamped near the cylinder neck. If the date is beyond the limit, which can be ten years, the tank must be retested and stamped prior to it being refilled. There is a small cost for that. Some weld supply places offer an exchange service rather than refill your tanks, so you dont worry about the date of expiration as far as getting a full tank immediately. Acetylene tanks are finicky to fill, and must be filled slowly, so those may be exchanged too, the acetylene tank is at a much lower pressure than the oxygen tank, and is "foamed" filled, like a sponge inside.

Hydro pressure test info....

http://www.tymsinc.com/hydrostatic-faq.html

Eye protection.... wear appropriate number welders lense for the work you are doing, Id only buy quality name brand lenses, its my eyesight after all, do not be cheap here!

Bug On, Welding the Van!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great information here folks!

We'll see. It's been sunny lately so I've been "Vanagon Lazy" about preemptive work and maintenance but the tail pipe will need to be done before summer I'd guess. The bigger looming job is the clutch housing and maybe engine crank seal but they can wait as well.

The MAPP/O2 set up looks tempting even just for the brazing capability, of which I've found the need for from time to time.

I'll check out HF during my next trip south but Princess Auto up here in Canada (similar to HF) has a similar looking foxy acetylene. The description re: tanks is interesting, maybe for legal reasons ? but there is a smaller and larger tank most likely for O2 and acetylene.

Princess Auto:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/oxyfuel-cutting-and-welding-tote-with-tanks/A-p8590465e

But after CAD to USD conversion, it's still priced higher.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Something I failed to mention.

The tail pipe position, is not ideal. So, I'd be "killing two birds" by repositioning a new tail pipe on there.

edited

This was my first engine conversion, the exhaust learning curves were steep, so I knowingly ended up with the tail pipe angle being too low. In fact, I think it was one reason this happened some years ago, on a dark and stormy night....

having the tailpipe indexed so low, it tended to bump up against things. IIRC, that pipe got bent due to incident shown above.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

So the answer is basically "no". In spite of not allowing a whole lot of time between stitch welds, the gasket still seems fine.

A scrap of new 2" aluminized pipe fit ok as-was but I used a ball peen to reduce OD at one end a little to match it to the old tail pipe OD.

I took time to grind off as much rust as possible and was able to leave ~ 3/16" of the old tail pipe at flange which helped; in part, the welds contacted that material. The welds look horrible (MIG wire feed seemed uneven, sporadic. I should've run a practice bead first) but hitting the pipe hard several times with a dead blow hammer didn't knock it loose.

A jack stand and a weldors magnet held the work in place for tack welds.

The muffler sits lower than the OE WBX position so i think this job would be harder with the muffler at OE position.

Pic:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fOU0Mdq...authuser=0

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

My previous MIG welder was certainly on the cheaper side and it had terrible feed issues. A friend solved it by opening the case and using a clamp on the wire feed wheel housing. That dramatically improved the quality of the welder. Took it from a $125 welder to at least a $200 welder! Laughing
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
My previous MIG welder was certainly on the cheaper side and it had terrible feed issues. A friend solved it by opening the case and using a clamp on the wire feed wheel housing. That dramatically improved the quality of the welder.

So the clamp was used to add pressure between feed rollers?

When changing to a different wire size, I roll the wire from gun back on to roll to be removed. Wire wrap at roll might've been somewhat criss-cross and the roll felt a little "loose". Tightening nut seemed to improve feed. I think the wire rolling off from a somewhat hard left to right might've been a factor. But..... Pulling trigger when not welding, feed sounded even. Doing same welding, wire bounced off work and was intermittent and feed sounded like it surged. Ground and work were cleaned to shiny metal.

But, I hadn't welded in some time. I'm out of practice.

My Hobart is a decent welder.

The pipe has such a nice sexy angle. Such a shame the weld looks like it was done by a chimp on acid.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Weld New Pipe to Old Tailpipe Flange: Damage Gasket? Reply with quote

Yep, exactly. I've also read of people adding small fat rubber bands (like the ones from the grocery store for veggies) around the feed wheel to improve grip.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: