Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for help in identifying Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

Turning to the experts here for help... I have opportunity to pick up a "barn find" VW Beetle convertible & wondering what I can use to identify it? A buddy texted me 1 poor quality photo taken in the dark the night he went to initially check out the cars in the "barn" - really a steel garage housing about 20 cars from a 1940 Chevy to a 1993 Corvette.

I'm expecting a few more photos tonight that I can post here in the next few days. Until then all I can tell is it in really rough shape, a convertible, looks mostly complete, orange/red color w black top, approx 1969 I think.

I don't usually post much on Samba but read posts weekly on the Dune Buggy/Kit Car as that's my current toy. This car, if given about 2-3 years & Im guessing about $8K would be the wife's toy.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

Hmm, what exactly do you want to "identify"? The model year? Super v. standard? Or are you wanting to assess the condition of the body or the drive train (where to look for the usual chronic rust spots or how to diagnose a bad engine)?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

Lots of photos, especially underneath. Get it in the light. Get a photo of the VIN on the dash and on the chassis tunnel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

third number of the VIN will determine the year.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far. Attached are some of the better photos I just received. Based on an out-of-focus photo I didn't post, the 3rd digit of the VIN appears to be '8' for 1968 model year. Likely to be several weeks or months until we might be able to get it out into daylight for more photos as it's trapped in behind lots of other non-moving vehicles.

Let me know if anyone can tell anything else about the car from the photos. I'd love more info on where to look for rust & how to diagnose a bad engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

that's a 1303 super beetle, no supers around in 1968 so from that and the "fuel injection" script on the engine lid, it's probably a 1978.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

yep looks like a 78.
Are you a good welder or want to become one?
Just a few places to look for more rust Shocked
strut mount area under hood, heater channels/support longitudinal, rear luggage area, floor pans, door bottoms
Look at the top, major expense to replace that.
see if the engine turns over by hand, check if it is still FI, grab the crank pulley and feel for play.
I wouldn't give it a second look but that's just me growing up in the rust belt.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
that's a 1303 super beetle, no supers around in 1968 so from that and the "fuel injection" script on the engine lid, it's probably a 1978.

Agreed. 1303 production started in the 1973 model year and continued thru the end of German production in 1979. So that Beetle was built in the '70's. It should have struts for the front suspension.

I would recommend you check the VIN under the rear seat and compare it to the VIN in the dash or the trunk. Just make sure they are the same.

Since that Beetle is for a convertible the VIN will be "15yxxxxxxx". The "15" indicates a convertible Beetle. The "y" is the digit for the model year. The remaining numbers are the sequential serial #.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you to the experts here on Samba. I didn't know anything about air-cooled VWs until I bought my dune buggy project 4 years ago. Since then Samba members have been an amazing source of info & I've learned a ton about VWs, specifically regarding pre-1965 beetles as well as Meyer Manx & fiberglass replicas.

Obviously I don't know much about 'newer' models. I should have noticed that the '8' in the VIN makes it a 1978 even though I was told it's "a late-'60s model". Just knowing the little bit of info so far, I think I'll walk away from this project...

Although I like the project as a convertible, I think it's best to walk away. While I can weld, do mechanical work, as well as body & paint, I just don't want to get involved with something newer than 1973 for DMV registration purposes. I'm 99% sure no one will be able to track down titles & paperwork from the previous owner of all these "barn finds". Original collector (hoarder?) passed away & now his son just wants all this stuff gone. Beyond that, I'm not into the Super Beetle or anything with struts, fuel injection, or auto-stick.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

Glad to help you to walk away from it Laughing

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for help in identifying Beetle Reply with quote

Curved windshield, it's 73 or later. prob. a 78.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: